Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, my family and I have the possibility of going out to Japan next February for some skiing and will hopefully meet up with my sister who will be doing a ski season there. We have looked at the Hokkaido, Rusutsu, Asahidake area and are strongly considering that, but also at Myoko which from what I've heard, is relitively undiscovered. IMO, I think there's good skiing all over Japan! If anyone has some advice or info about skiing in Japan please be sure to comment bellow Smile

King Regards,

Euan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2708809&highlight=japan#2708809

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2696029&highlight=japan#2696029

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2593031&highlight=japan#2593031

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2575906&highlight=japan#2575906

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2541968&highlight=japan#2541968

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2507048&highlight=japan#2507048

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2503621&highlight=japan#2503621
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How long are you going for? Where is your sister going to be based and by family do you mean children or parents/grandparents?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given that Myoko is on Honshu (and a pretty easy train ride from Tokyo-think its about a 4-5 hour journey by train from Haneda or Narita airports, or there is a bus shuttle) and the other resorts are on Hokkaido (not sure about Asahidake Madeye-Smiley), I think it rather depends on where your sis will be. Advantages of Honshu is that it's just easier to get to from the UK.We were supposed to go to Myoko last season for a couple of days at the end of our trip to Hakuba, but there was snow much snow we couldn't make it! Very Happy . Trains weren't even running it was so bad. From what little I know about Myoko-there no real restrictions on off piste. Some english spoken, so you won't feel completely out of your depth. Even if the language barrier looks a bit daunting, the Japanese are so polite and eager to help out, you will have a ball!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should stay in Hirafu village, it gives you easy access to Rusutsu and other nearby gems, lots to do in resort so would be good for the family. You will love Japan, it has become my fave place in the world Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
See Black Diamond Tours website EuanFraser - lots of pointers on there via the itineraries for their day trips and longer excursions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent just over three weeks on Hokkaido last season, including a roadtrip with Black Diamond Tours. LOTS of fun!

Slightly spammy, but my tips to ski the most pow and cross the least tracks are here: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/02/13/notniseko-the-best-snow-on-hokkaido/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good write up, interesting site.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, we are going out next season for our third trip, will have a rental car and have skied Rusutsu and Kiroro. May I ask a question? We have never gone over to Moiwa. Under what circumstances would you make the trip there if the gate wasn't open, or would you go just go to Rusutsu every time if you had a car?

Teine Highland. That's really interesting. Having been pst on the way to Sapporo city a couple of times I had got the impression that the snow was a bit wetter by the coast. Are you saying that is not the case? Any other tips for Teine as we will probably drive out from Hirafu to ski it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@22 dropout, Personally I wouldn't go to Moiwa if the gate was closed. There is some nice skiing inbounds, but it's pretty damn mellow... @Mike Pow probably knows more though! A LOT less competition on good days than Niseko though! The gate there was also open when the gate to ski from Niseko to Moiwa was closed (IIRC).

If you can, I'd try and hit both Rusutsu and Moiwa. Furano and Kamui Ski Links are well worth a day or two if you have time, too, though I'd leave Kamui for a day when you know there will be fresh. All of the resorts have their own personalities and charm.

I only skied two days at Teine - one great powder day and then one pretty tracked day with magseven. The snow was really good on the powder day, maybe not quite as dry as I had Kiroro (which was just ridiculous - I was getting faceshots from behind whenever I stopped as the snow was billowing up so much in my wake), but drier and lighter than 99% of powder days in the Alps. It would make sense for the snow to be wetter, but it was so cold it wasn't an issue. There's a lot more steeper terrain than any of the other resorts I skied though.

Magseven and @Mike Pow can probably give you more specific tips tbh. If you haven't had a night out in Sapporo I'd seriously recomend staying over though - really fun city. I stayed a few nights in this place on magseven's recommendation: http://www.b-norte.jp/norte1/english/ which was ideal, especially on my budget.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, thanks for the response. Good tip on Teine for the longer steeps. We'll give that a go. We were fortunate enough to tour up Yotei on our first trip which was incredible if you ever have advance warning of a clear day. Agree, Sapporro, baffling and friendly all at the same time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Teine is definitely worth a day or two. (I've probably had 150+ days there and am still finding new lines!) It doesn't have the most vertical, but it has the steepest lift served skiing in Hokkaido. Quick laps on a high speed quad accessing a ridgeline with numerous bowls and gullies. It's getting more and more popular with the overseas crowd, but most of the tour groups barely scratch the surface. The snow is slightly moister than Kiroro or Kokusai, but it's not a huge difference. One thing to look out for when planning a day there is the wind. If it's strong, the main Summit Express lift can be closed which limits you to the lower and very much less interesting slopes.

Teine and Rusutsu are owned by the same company. If you're skiing Rusutsu, save your lift pass (or ask for a receipt when turning in your electronic pass) and show it at Teine, you'll get 50% off a day pass. Or vice versa.

I would offer to show you around Teine, but I'm not going to be around next winter Sad You can check out my blog for a load of pics and videos from Teine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, did you hire a car when you were there?

I'm considering a return visit next season, based myself in Niseko last time...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, no, I did a roadtrip and several day trips with BD Tours. If I went again with a group, I'd base myself at BD Lodge and hire a car.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, thanks, I'm thinking of hiring a self catering place in Niseko and hiring a car if we go again....
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
@22 dropout, Personally I wouldn't go to Moiwa if the gate was closed. There is some nice skiing inbounds, but it's pretty damn mellow... @Mike Pow probably knows more though! A LOT less competition on good days than Niseko though! The gate there was also open when the gate to ski from Niseko to Moiwa was closed (IIRC).

If you have the necessary backcountry skills and equipment then the terrain accessed through the gate is steeper, but to my mind shorter than the terrain available off the quad.

If you have touring gear then the terrain skier's right of the quad just keeps on going past the lifts dropping you down at the ryokan hotel Kanronomori

http://www.kanronomori.com/

And I've spent days just skiing lap after lap of untracked off the double chair when the rest have been queuing for the quad.

Yes it's mellow but it's glorious.

The Lovelocks
December 2014

http://youtube.com/v/ipWeWduKgFI

Definitely visit.

Quote:
If you can, I'd try and hit both Rusutsu and Moiwa. Furano and Kamui Ski Links are well worth a day or two if you have time, too, though I'd leave Kamui for a day when you know there will be fresh. All of the resorts have their own personalities and charm.

Agree 100%

I'll be skiing Furano and environs more next winter. Great pitch, long runs.

Quote:
I only skied two days at Teine - one great powder day and then one pretty tracked day with magseven. The snow was really good on the powder day, maybe not quite as dry as I had Kiroro (which was just ridiculous - I was getting faceshots from behind whenever I stopped as the snow was billowing up so much in my wake), but drier and lighter than 99% of powder days in the Alps. It would make sense for the snow to be wetter, but it was so cold it wasn't an issue. There's a lot more steeper terrain than any of the other resorts I skied though.

Magseven and @Mike Pow can probably give you more specific tips tbh. If you haven't had a night out in Sapporo I'd seriously recomend staying over though - really fun city. I stayed a few nights in this place on magseven's recommendation: http://www.b-norte.jp/norte1/english/ which was ideal, especially on my budget.

I've only skied Teine once, in spring conditions. Excellent.

I've skied Sapporo Kokusai a bunch, in all conditions. Great hill. Definitely visit.

Skied the deepest powder of my life at Sapporo Kokusai. Very closely followed by Kiroro.

Sapporo Kokusai
January 2014 (apologies for the orientation)
I ski tall and I'm 6'2"

http://youtube.com/v/iKaJsOhsUL8

Kiroro
March 2015

http://youtube.com/v/jePlfGa87Vo

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-05-15 11:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@clarky999, thanks, I'm thinking of hiring a self catering place in Niseko and hiring a car if we go again....

The way forward Smile
ski holidays
Anyone done the black diamond 'The Ultimate Pow Trip'? Or have any thoughts on it?

Keen to do a big JaPOW trip next winter and would be traveling on my own so a guided trip like this appeals.

http://blackdiamondtours.com/tours-multi-resort.html#powtrip
ski holidays
@kat.ryb, I did the Power Trip. Intense and full on with very good skiers, but highly recomended. I also did a solo trip, and was very happy with how it worked out. Few days at BD Lodge where it was easy to find good skiers to ski with, BD road trip which was ace, few days at Annupuri Lodge (nicer than BD Lodge, but while there were people to ski I didn't like it as much - more Aussies, less dedicated skiers), then a few days in Saporro.
snow report
Cool, thanks for the info @clarky999
snow conditions
Great snow (very light and can snow constantly for days) less crowded than Europe (avoid Niseko) a lot of night skiing, very polite people. Relatively small areas, short top to bottom and not that steep, expensive (but hey, we're talking about skiing). Worth hiring a car or having some trips to other resorts planned.
snow report
You should focus on Niseko and Rusutsu. 3.5 hours from Sapporo or New Chitose Airport, and 2.5 hours, with ski bus, 3200 JP oneway. Bus for Rusutsu from/to Sapporo city is free via Rusutsu ski resort.

From Niseko to Rusutsu, local bus, 1.5 hours, 1200 JP, oneway, make a reservation via phone call at your hotel. If taxi, only 40 mins.

The ski resort on Japan is quite small than Alps or North American.

Niseko is combined with 4 small ski resorts, they share one hill, or peak, or you could call it mountain. You could visit the backcountry area, but out of the ski area and responsible for yourself (you'd better join the avalanche class at first, or hire a guide ), gate 3, gate 4, gate 7, etc., on the map.
Or, Avalanche Control Area, no need to climb, just below the gondola. But must with a permit.

The 4 ski resorts are linked with the chairs onto the top of the peak. If bad weather, too strong wind, totally white out, the chairs will be closed. So you will be stuck inside one resort. Or, you have to get shuttle bus, 30mins to 60mins from A to B. Last season, one day, all chairs and gondolas were close for half day, and only 2 chairs opened in the afternoon at the 4 resorts.

But, the snow is coming and coming and coming, 15 to 20 cm, every day.

Around Niseko, a lot of small hotels with halfboard, really nice and not expensive!!! In 14 days, no same menu. After the dinner, the boss will drive the guests to different onsens every day.

Rusutsu, not many choice, the best is the hotel.
Less people than Niseko. 10 persons on Niseko, 2 or 3 on Rusutsu. No need to line up, you know !!!

The best tree run is on Rusutsu, totally deep powder. Same condition, at Niseko, you have to get a permit at first.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 21-06-15 5:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Good write up but what permit are you talking about please?
snow conditions
@Mike Pow Sorry, I think I don't get all details before. I have updated my post above.

On the trail map, there are some Avalanche Control Operation Area.

They said :
Various methods of Avalanche Control combined with an educational programme are employed in the interest of increasing avalanche awareness and safety. Only skiers and riders participating in the programme are permitted to use this area.

JP 2000 for it:
http://www.niseko-village.com/en/white/mizuno-no-sawa.html

Other gates for backcountry, maybe don't need this permit.

And this:
http://nisekosnow.net/niseko-snow-features/a-backcountry-experience-niseko-japan
snow report
Cool.

Correct Smile
snow conditions
wowmac wrote:

The best tree run is on Rusutsu, totally deep powder. Same condition, at Niseko, you have to get a permit at first.

Permits are not required for skiing off-piste at Rusutsu. In fact last season they officially sanctioned off-piste skiing for the first time. We were skiing everywhere with no problems from ski patrol (just don't build jumps that clear cat tracks! Laughing) Also it's worth heading out of the ski area and taking a walk up shiribetsu, the first ridge line is harder to skin up owing to the number of trees on the route, but then it opens out as you get higher depending on route taken and the trees get sparser (heli-skiing is available off this peak too).
latest report
skir67 wrote:
wowmac wrote:

Permits are not required for skiing off-piste at Rusutsu. In fact last season they officially sanctioned off-piste skiing for the first time. We were skiing everywhere with no problems from ski patrol (just don't build jumps that clear cat tracks! Laughing) Also it's worth heading out of the ski area and taking a walk up shiribetsu, the first ridge line is harder to skin up owing to the number of trees on the route, but then it opens out as you get higher depending on route taken and the trees get sparser (heli-skiing is available off this peak too).

He means you need to register to ski the 'avalanche control' area in Niseko, not Rusutsu.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 23-06-15 11:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@skir67, @clarky999,

Sure, Rusutsu is fantastic !!! Even at 4:00 pm, there are some fresh off-piste !!! I could lead a beginner to enjoy the the first track in the green trial with truly powder !!!

Permit only required at Niseko, when you want to ski at Avalanche Control Operation Area.

No permit required at Rusutsu.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy