Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
Gaza wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
This is causing a little amusement on FB

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1548324025480846&set=gm.10153210230720826&type=3

Mini Mansell has removed it. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Shortly after two sets of initials were posted and claimed to be those of two other letter writers to BASI...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be interesting:-

basi wrote:
BASI CEO Andrew Lockerbie and International and Education Manager Dave Renouf are attending an MoU meeting in Brussels today. We'll publish an update after the meeting in the MoU updates sections of the BASI Members Area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That meeting had nothing to do with Simon Butler but was on the Delegated Act for defining what tests will be to define right of establishment for worker mobility...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simon Butler standing for Basi chair.

"If elected as your chairman, I would seek to bring a new direction to the association and to work with the board to try and effect dynamic change and to reconnect with our fundamental core values.

BASI for me has always been about representing its members as ski instructors, not about being a business.

I have felt that for several years or so, the association has lost its way. I have observed with a degree of sadness that the rights and interests of our members have become subordinate to the interests of a few people that appear more concerned with using the association to protect their own business interests as opposed to looking after the rights of the rank and file of the association.

If elected, my mandate is to bring the association back to its fundamental purpose - looking after its members

BASI is about its members, not about business.

The divisiveness of the past must stop. The future of British skiing is too important to me to allow small minded and self-interested parties to ruin it for all of us.

We must stick together as an organisation and we must be inclusive and supportive to bring everyone with us so that we can fight for our association and the rights of British Ski instructors in Europe and beyond.

I say to those that wish to have BASI as a commercial company, good luck, but don’t do it in our name.

Our association that was set up by the members and for the members must today look after its members. BASI after all is a members association.

Clearly the current board has failed to look after all the members and this is of great concern to me and something that I would rectify and in so doing look to former members to re-join and feel that the association is once again there to help and represent them.

Agreements made which are to the detriment of the membership as a whole must be scrapped. Members rights must also be supported at EU level and BASI must stand firm on behalf of the membership.

In my view BASI exists to protect the interests of British Ski Instructors. It doesn't exist to promote the self-interest of a few at the top. We need to bring the core values of our association back into focus and I believe that I am the man for the job."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh good. Dynamic change.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This will be fun!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
POPCORN!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll wrote:
POPCORN!

Popcorn time in 10 days☺
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1242404349121774/?fref=ts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The link above is for the Facebook page, Simon Butler for Basi Chairman
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well after all what has gone on I can only wish him all the best and hope he shows if successful he is the bigger man and throws all the resources of BASI behind ALL it's members.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speed098 wrote:
all the resources of BASI behind ALL it's members.

If all the L1, 2, 3's, who are not currently represented by the BASI BOD, vote for SB he will be a 'shoe-in'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know if the 'coching' webcast is available from last week. Apparently an 'interesting' discussion by all accounts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndAnotherThing.., yes it is. Login in to your account in the Members' Area and follow the "Webinars" link. It's at the bottom of the last of available webinars.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an outsider observer, displacing the current shambles at BASI with the political finesse of SB = out of the frying pan, into the fire.
latest report
@rob@rar, ta.
snow report
But just what is BASI?

An association of professionals?

A machine to generate profits out of gap year fodder?*

*looks like it to me...
ski holidays
I view BASI as the body that speaks for and on behalf of every single member no matter what their level, it represents them to the best interest of each members level, so yes it would attain better recognition/rights for level 4 over level 2 as an example. But it represents level 2 to the best of it's ability.

From what I have seen the present board are not doing this and by this bringing the association into disrepute. I hope if SB is successful he will use his experience especially his experience of unfair treatment to ensure no member has to go through what he has and is going through.
That alone is worth him being voted in. But I also hope he will fight for the best working rights/recognition for all members no matter what level they are.

BASI if they do not understand it need to learn that their future is within level 1 instructors because you can not progress to level 2,3 or 4 till you have passed that level. They need to show these and potential new instructors as well that BASI value them. Yes their teaching ability may be limited at level 1 but their potential should not be made to feel limited.

So yes good luck to him.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
speed098 wrote:

If all the L1, 2, 3's, who are not currently represented by the BASI BOD, vote for SB he will be a 'shoe-in'

No such thing as a "shoe-in".
"Shoo-in" is the expression
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shoo-in
And
http://grammarist.com/spelling/shoo-in/

Getting the "boot in" on the other hand may yet occur in this saga wink
ski holidays
@SkiPresto, Isn't the expression, "put(ting) the boot in"?
ski holidays
Maybe somebody will "get the boot"
By someone "putting the boot in".
Confused
snow report
Well, now that the shoe is on the other foot, I'm glad you cleared that up wink
ski holidays
The waiting has come to an end. Simon Butler v BASIL starts today, unless there is a last minute deal Puzzled

The case is listed for 4 days so we will have to wait a little longer to find out if someone 'puts the boot in' or someone 'gets the boot' wink
ski holidays
SkiPresto wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
speed098 wrote:

No such thing as a "shoe-in".
"Shoo-in" is the expression
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shoo-in
And
http://grammarist.com/spelling/shoo-in/

Getting the "boot in" on the other hand may yet occur in this saga wink

I would argue that the term "shoe in" does exist as an abbrieviation of "shoe in the door". It is a term people use when seeing an opportunity and getting their shoe in and keeping it from closing, akin to when a door opens and you dont want it to close.... its not a "toe in the water", but can be the much favoured .. foot in, from foot in the door , but not putting your foot in it. Thats a different meaning, as is putting the boot in. ...However, the thread has adopted a twist and used putting the boot in, which itself is referred to as, or has a more modern take on, ...from the receiving end of such, or in the recall of such an act upon another, as having had a good "shoe ing " ....

of which i expect .....
snow report
Good one @limegreen 😃
Our science teacher at school didn't administer corporal punishment with the usual stout leather tawse or belt applied to the hands. He preferred the gym shoe whack to the child's bottom.
So a shoe-ing is, I argue a real thing. Not so the mis-applied shoe-in.

The expression "shoo-in" is the correct term here and it has nothing to do with shoes. It's a 1930's American slang expression that used to refer in a metaphorical way to illegal practice in a horse race, (the weak horse would need to be externally encouraged across the line (people shouting "shoo, shoo"), but would somehow still be declared the winner).

But now it seems to have the meaning that someone is well suited to an appointment. wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
But just what is BASI?

*looks like it to me...

When I did my L2 out of the 10 of us on the course, 8 were gappies "doing their 2" before heading off back to Uni. Not a single one of them intended to teach ski-ing except maybe a week with Interski each December to get themselves a free ski holiday. I see BASI as a money-making venture using gappies as fodder with no real intent to develop a professional community.

The best option for those genuinely wanting to be a professional instructor is CSIA/CASI in Andorra or Zermatt.
latest report
sobmaj wrote:
under a new name wrote:
But just what is BASI?

*looks like it to me...

When I did my L2 out of the 10 of us on the course, 8 were gappies "doing their 2" before heading off back to Uni. Not a single one of them intended to teach ski-ing except maybe a week with Interski each December to get themselves a free ski holiday. I see BASI as a money-making venture using gappies as fodder with no real intent to develop a professional community.

The best option for those genuinely wanting to be a professional instructor is CSIA/CASI in Andorra or Zermatt.

CSIA/CASI is pretty similar IMV - look at the number of gappie courses offered in Canada as well as the profile of those doing it domestically. I did a CASI L1 cert and the vast majority were only intending to teach for a year or so, and I was only really doing it because snow conditions were crap and it was a good way of doing technical training. IMO these organisations could do themselves a favour by having a pro track and a casual track with maybe the pros paying more but being better supported. Would rather impact their marketing though with possible impact on revenues.
ski holidays
I had hoped to come on here and find there had been an "On the steps of the Court" settlement but apparently not!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
sobmaj wrote:
under a new name wrote:
But just what is BASI?

*looks like it to me...

CSIA/CASI is pretty similar IMV - look at the number of gappie courses offered in Canada as well as the profile of those doing it domestically. I did a CASI L1 cert and the vast majority were only intending to teach for a year or so, and I was only really doing it because snow conditions were crap and it was a good way of doing technical training. IMO these organisations could do themselves a favour by having a pro track and a casual track with maybe the pros paying more but being better supported. Would rather impact their marketing though with possible impact on revenues.

An alternative progression for genuine aspirant Instructors would be via SSS which is now affiliated to IASI, giving the opportunity to get to L2 in Scotland hence saving the travel and accommodation costs. I don't know if IASI has fostered a community spirit within their Association but I know for sure BASI doesn't! BASI is just churning lots of Hugos and Indias back to their Unis with qualifications they presumably use to get laid with. Great for them, but not really a sustainable professional pathway.
snow report
@FFIRMIN, scheduled for 4 days and after that the judiciary may take more time for a decision.
I am trying to get some info of mornings proceedings.
snow report
@Dunk, no early settlement, evidence is being heard.
ski holidays
@Dunk, thumbs up icon.... come what may on the decision it is good to hear that this will all be out in the open and Simon gets his day in court...
ski holidays
@skimottaret, The BASI secretary has flown in and attending court. ESF St Gervais cant be too busy.........
snow report
sobmaj wrote:
I don't know if IASI has fostered a community spirit within their Association but I know for sure BASI doesn't! BASI is just churning lots of Hugos and Indias back to their Unis with qualifications they presumably use to get laid with. Great for them, but not really a sustainable professional pathway.
Putting aside the deeply depressing politics for one moment, but my experience with BASI on snow has always been very positive including developing a professional community spirit. That might be because I did my L2 a few years ago when gap courses were not so prevalent, and there was no gap candidates in my group.

It's pretty easy to avoid being on a course full of gap candidates if that is an issue. The courses in Zermatt and the start of the season and the Hintertux courses at the end of the season don't have too many gaps students as the timings don't work with gap course dates. Once you get to L3 everyone is significantly focused on a professional pathway.
latest report
Lets hope this round in court is the final one and that BASI can then concentrate on repairing a damaged/tarnished image.

Though I fear whoever looses will appeal.
snow report
speed098 wrote:
Though I fear whoever looses will appeal.

That might be rather difficult as AFAIK the Court of Session is the supreme civil court in Scotland?

Edit: It seems the Court of Session has two parts - the Outer House is a "court of first instance" and the Inner House is the court of appeal. Presumably the case is being held in the Outer House, can any Scottish based sHs confirm?
latest report
Civil cases can be further appealed to the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:

Loads more opportunity for popcorn then! Toofy Grin
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
dogwatch wrote:

Loads more opportunity for popcorn then! Toofy Grin

And potentially in EU as well so better get a DD set up for uninterrupted delivery wink
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:

Edit: It seems the Court of Session has two parts - the Outer House is a "court of first instance" and the Inner House is the court of appeal. Presumably the case is being held in the Outer House, can any Scottish based sHs confirm?

The Out House would be appropriate, given the amount of brown stuff hitting the whirly thing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy