Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
@billy not a boy, I would not wish to comment further in a public domain.

Let's see what happens next, still twenty days before court of sessions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunk wrote:
@billy not a boy, I would not wish to comment further in a public domain.

Forever the diplomat eh Dunk, I understand though if it's personal stuff

Dunk wrote:
Let's see what happens next, still twenty days before court of sessions.

... and nicely brought back on topic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mozwold, (edit) Gallic Shrug. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mozwold wrote:
@halfhand,
Quote:

Nice attempt at derailing the subject of the thread mozwold but ultimately a failure.

Nothing of the sort, and frankly I couldn't care less so you can get as up your self as you like.

I'm not a member of BASI, and I wouldn't know Simon Butler from Adam.
From my point of view I see (some) members of each faction that are quite happy hurling accusations at each other, but then have a hissy fit when someone questions your morals.

Get over yourself

What faction am I in? Just so I know.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gerry wrote:
mozwold wrote:
@halfhand,
Quote:

Nice attempt at derailing the subject of the thread mozwold but ultimately a failure.

Nothing of the sort, and frankly I couldn't care less so you can get as up your self as you like.

I'm not a member of BASI, and I wouldn't know Simon Butler from Adam.
From my point of view I see (some) members of each faction that are quite happy hurling accusations at each other, but then have a hissy fit when someone questions your morals.

Get over yourself

What faction am I in? Just so I know.

If you don't know by now your in the anti-DG faction you really do need some more reading lessons NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
19 days to go now Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunk wrote:
19 days to go now Very Happy

Can hardly control my apathy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see Simon Butler got silver in the FIS World Masters Super-G in Chile this week. I wonder if the BASI PR machine will go into overdrive, promoting the prowess of a BASI-qualified instructor.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@laundryman, There will probably be protests to FIS that he is not entitled to a race licence because he doesn't tie his shoelaces in an approved knot or some similar new code of conduct being concocted. That said he might be permitted to operate in Bulgaria like L1,2,&3.(probably have to wear slip ons though).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does that qualify him for a pass on the Eurotest ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@laundryman, really? http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=MA&competitorid=184953&type=result best place a 6th as far as I can see. (Which is still impressive, mind you!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, yep.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
deerman wrote:
Does that qualify him for a pass on the Eurotest ?

Nope.

under a new name, medals are awarded within the 5 year age groups.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. FIS website now has the Chile results with the following entry for Simon Butler.

20-09-2015 La Parva CHI FIS Masters Cup Slalom 8
19-09-2015 La Parva CHI FIS Masters Cup Giant Slalom DNF

It looks like someone is having their leg pulled.

Or is this that he got the medal for his age group? Which is still good going.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
olderscot, There were races in Valle Nevado too.
latest report
@rjs, aha, now I understand. Good for him.
snow conditions
@olderscot, or he was competing in a Super G race rolling eyes Do the skis on the podium look like GS or SL skis
snow report
Quote:

There were races in Valle Nevado too.

Good point. I did miss the Valle Nevado results.

18-09-2015 Valle Nevado (CHI) CHI FIS Masters Cup Super G 6

Quote:

or he was competing in a Super G race Do the skis on the podium look like GS or SL skis

You're right. I'm not having a good day am I? Long skis = one of the speed events. I'm genuinely impressed that you expected me to have noticed that.

Mike

Note to self: Must do better, check my facts, be less cynical and think twice before posting. (although this is the Snowheads forum...)
latest report
Very good for him.
Do many people keep up their racing skills like this past 50? I am wracking my brain for other examples.

Many people are impressed. Some may secretly be a little ashamed, when they think about how little ski racing they do to keep up their safety skills once qualified.
Oh wait, they don't actually have to continue racing, because racing has little to do with safety.
It's difficult to remember sometimes. Silly me.

This is why I think it is very good for him.
ski holidays
Malaise Meleze wrote:

Oh wait, they don't actually have to continue racing, because racing has little to do with safety.

The majority of instructors pass their ET in their 30's. If they had to repass in their 40th, 50th & 60th year the test would be scrapped within a day wink
snow conditions
Very Happy just as well then, that it has nothing to do with safety.
snow conditions
Quote:

majority of instructors pass their ET in their 30's.

20's
ski holidays
SB wears a GBR Masters top yet BASI don't want to know him wink

Wonder if they had an Olympics for old fogies and he won would they still ignore him ? Or would they use his success for promoting BASI excellence ???

Forgot to add.

Maybe we should get a petition together that BASI sort this whole matter out in a way they deem so relevant to ski instruction ( well at least certain highly placed members ) How about we get the two of them to race over a WC std GS course and for fairness they get a run in the morning and another in the afternoon. The one with the fastest single run wins the case after all they must be the better instructor and safest instructor so must be deemed to know more and be right. NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
speed098, People do just Masters races for fun.
snow conditions
…including ex World Cup and Europa Cup racers. Nothing wrong with fun, of course, but it's not high on the protectionists producer-centric agenda.
latest report
@speed098, I think this whole speed test thing is a load of nonsense. A more sensible test would be check the instructors ability to ski & make safety related decisions after four beers + four Willi ( for a start ).
snow conditions
@Steilhang,
Shirley an instructor couldn't afford four beers in France Shocked
ski holidays
@musher, paid for by the tester of course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
don't call me Shirley....... Toofy Grin
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
@speed098, I think this whole speed test thing is a load of nonsense. A more sensible test would be check the instructors ability to ski & make safety related decisions after four beers + four Willi ( for a start ).

My comment was a bit of a "P" take on the ET, TT as any form of test of ability to be a good ski instructor for all but the very best skiers out there. I would hope SB would show a clean pair of heels on both runs to a certain BASI board member thus showing up the whole ethos of a speed test.

@rjs,

And I did know that ex WC and Europa cup racers do compete in the masters not sure how many SB has raced against or beat but the point is it is a very respectable race series and should be a clear indication of someone's skiing ability, and over a period of time show better consistency of that ability than the ET does.
snow conditions
musher wrote:
@Steilhang,
Shirley an instructor couldn't afford four beers in France Shocked

Who mentioned anything about paying ??

There are many après ski activities that instructors partake of without paying, some are all night long wink
latest report
musher wrote:
@Steilhang,
Shirley an instructor couldn't hold four beers in France Shocked

FIFY
ski holidays
Quote:

My comment was a bit of a "P" take on the ET, TT as any form of test of ability to be a good ski instructor for all but the very best skiers out there.

Are skiing 'safety' speed tests like VW's emissions tests?
ski holidays
Yes, in that "opening the bonnet" tends to slow you down.
snow report
No-one ski's wearing a bonnet
snow conditions
The week of reckoning is upon us, will there be a last minute deal? Puzzled
snow conditions
Last minute deal? I suspect not unless BASI are prepared to offer a lot of money both by way of compensation and also legal costs which will have racked up at an amazing rate both for Simon and for themselves. This is an unholy mess which should never have happened. Oh the futility of egos and vested interests
snow report
If this outcome is in favor of Simon, could BASI members sue the board of directors?
latest report
Just looking at their annual report, which suggests that the post of "legal director" is in fact vacant:
http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/FINAL%203950%20BASI%20Annual%20Report%202015%20lo%20res%20for%20web%2023%20Sept%202015.pdf

As the members voted for the board to act on their behalf, it's unclear to me in what way you think there could be a liability running the other way. The membership's sanctions would be voting them out, or voting with their feet.
ski holidays
interesting to read the statement by BASI's solicitors on page 67 of the Annual Report, they spend more ink arguing the size of the settlement as opposed to whether there is a case to answer to.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy