Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Couples winter holiday but ones a non-skier!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

So I'm after abit of advice!

Thinking about booking a winter (ski) holiday for me and the Mrs - except she doesn't ski and doesn't particularly want to either (will work on the persuasion though!)...

So is there anyone else who does this kinda holiday as a couple but where one doesn't ski? How does this work out for you?

She's quite independent happy for me to go off skiing and Just to chill out and read etc long as we pick a hotel with a pool and good hot chocolate supply she'll be fine.

Also any advice about resorts? What about Bulgaria (thinking of the budget option)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't go to Bulgaria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Thewrightstuff, I've skied many times with a non-skiing partner, but he liked to get around as well, not just sit by a pool. For that, Wengen is brilliant, because you can whizz around the mountains by train and meet up with your skiing partner in many mountain restos. Switzerland is not a cheap option at the moment though, sadly. Another favourite resort is Chamonix, especially with a car. But, if she wants hot chocolate, it's got to be Italy - no other country comes close where hot chocolate is concerned. skimottaret recommended this place recently: http://www.hotelfanes.it/en/hotel.html Also not cheap, but Italy is cheaper on the mountain than some other places.

Welcome to snowHeads, by the way! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're looking for a lower level resort that's a real village/town, not a purpose built ski station half way up a mountain. That still leaves you loads of possible options, so here's a few suggestions -

1. Mayrhofen - good value resort, big ski area, pleasant town with good hotels and shops etc.
2. Kitzbuhel - very pretty town, train links for a day out in Salzburg. Gondola out of town so she can meet you on the mountain for lunch
3. Zell Am See - almost as pretty as Kitzbuhel, train line and gondola plus a frozen lake to walk over (they mark out a path to the village on the other side with park benches, trees in pots etc.). Also has a massive spa a short bus ride out of town on the way to Kaprun.
4. St Anton - very lively town, big ski area, spa, lots of bars and restaurants.

In France the first that come to mind are - Samoens in the Grand Massif, Morzine in the Porte du Soleil or Megeve. In Switzerland Zermatt would probably tick all the boxes but it is very expensive.

What time of year are you wanting to go? If it's very early or late season then it's harder to get an interesting village and great snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses so far. Glad a few others have experience of this and don't think the idea is a right off.Yes she's quite happy to go off exploring On her own too (just not on skis!) but if that's not an option happy to chill out and be lazy too.

On a bit of a budget (certainly no more than £650pp to include my ski pass, hire etc) so some of the resorts mentioned might be out of price range. Would be looking at begining of jan 2016 or sometime in the last two weeks of March 2016.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been on similar holidays and have been to Poland for NYE the last 3 years, along with a few other trips in Jan and even as late as April!

My wife has had a couple of lessons, but basically doesn't ski at all, although if you can persuade your other half to give it a go lessons are very cheap (£15-£45 per hour for a one on one private lesson, depending on where you go).

All the Polish slopes are basically in the South, about 90 mins from Kraków and whilst the various resorts are quite small, they are all close to the main (party) town, Zakopane, if you fancy more lively action (it has plenty of quiet bits too).

We've been to Białka Tatzranska twice over the last year, staying in a smaller place and then the main resort here:

http://www.hotelbania.pl/en

The hotel has plenty for kids and adults (it has an over 21s section downstairs and more family friendly drinking upstairs on the ground floor). It is also next to the lifts and as its all owned by the same people you can charge everything (including equipment hire) to your room, receiving a small discount.

It is joined to the thermal bath complex, which is really surreal outside in the warm water, watching (and feeling the snow)! It has a spa too, which my wife seemed to appreciate. Oh and a carpet lift which she definitely appreciated!!!

http://www.nosalowy-dwor.eu/en/resort/grand-nosalowy-dwor

This is by Nosal mountain, which with the main slope shut is only really for complete beginners, however the hotel is very nice and close enough to walk into Zakopane town centre in about 20 mins, or get a cab in no time. The other more challenging slopes are between 10-30 mins by taxi, depending on how far afield you want to go.

The hotel has a spa/pool complex inside, a nice panoramic bar upstairs, one downstairs and you can use the bar/restaurant in the sister hotel next door.

It's very nice, very good value, plenty for kids (but you can avoid them by going to the upstairs bar if you prefer) and a decent location...the only annoying thing is that the ski storage is down a gazillion flights of stairs!!

http://www.hotelbukovina.pl/en/

Not been to this one, but it looks nice! We're thinking of trying it next time. Unlike the others you can't walk into the slopes from here, but there are a few within 10 mins by car and also a large thermal baths complex!

All the runs in Poland tend to be fairly short, which I think is quite good if you are constantly thinking about whether you can fit one more run in, before heading back to the wife Happy

If you want any pointers feel free to ask, happy to (try) and help out!

Oh one last thing, if you like any of the resorts, but don't want to pay hotel prices then small chalets and/or guest houses are dirt cheap!

Cost wise, Poalnd would be well within your budget...you could go top end for that Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have you thought about a different wife?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mor helpfully: some of my friends deliberately went to Chamonix during the winer- but not to ski- they had a very nice time. Innsbruck- a proper town, lots to do, culture, no transfer and several ski areas accessible from the centre and not expensive. Cortina, very very pretty, lots of people don't ski, not too expensive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hadn't considered Poland before! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed123 yes that had crossed my mind but other than not skiing she's pretty great and I'm probably punching above my weight really so I think I should let this one flaw slide Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You might have to do what I did......

My wife doesn't ski. She tried it at school and again a few years later but didn't enjoy it. She also feels the cold so spending a week in the mountains is her idea of hell.

Wind forward 11 years after our wedding and our son is now 7. I got him in to skiing in January 2013 on our local dry slope. He took to it instantly and loves it. In February 2014 we went on our first "boys holiday" to Val d'Isere and this year we went to Belle Plagne. Both times we have left mum at home. We are booked again for next year, returning to Val d'Isere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We decided there was no point in spending a large about of money for my wife to be bored and putting a brave face on things. As she is a teacher it would also have meant going at half-term so an even greater waste of money.

So, in summary: have a kids and go with them Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Gaza for the different perspective. I do see your point - although kids not on the cards just yet!

My mrs is quite happy to come and do her own thing during the day. Bit of exploring, gym/swim spa days and part of her job involves quite a lot of reading so think she thought a nice scenic temporary 'office' with hot chocolate in hand might make the reading more enjoyable!

She likes and enjoys the mountains/scenery just not the idea of skiing!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Thewrightstuff, +1 for Zell am See. My OH is new to skiing and quite nervous. She lost her confidence and was a little bruised after the first couple of days of our holiday at New Year but loved Zell am See. She did the Spa at Kaprun, shopping and Paragliding instead for the other 4 days whilst I was out skiing! Haha. She loved it and wants to go back next year with a bit more skiing too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have encountered this situation many times in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, and non-skiing spouses seem to find it an ideal resort - plenty of lively apres-ski and good bars/restaurants both in the village and at mid stations and/or top-stations of the many cable-cars. All the big hotels in the village centre have Wellness Suites that can be used by non-residents, and there is a ski museum and an art gallery. Excursions to nearby Zell am See (see above) and Salzburg are easily arranged. Various non-skiing activities are also on offer, such as guided snowshoe walking, ice-karting, snowmobile touring - or just strolling by the river between the two villages.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We regularly ski with a family where Mum doesn't ski (used to, but gradually gave up). We have been to Morzine several times, Peisey, Chatel, Chamonix and Samoens that spring to mind. Tina always seems to find stuff to do, but Morzine does seem to be pretty good. It's a proper town, it has a skating rink, a good indoor pool, normal shops where you can actually afford to buy stuff (unlike Megeve!), opportunities to meet people up the hill for lunch, cross country skiing. The downside from the skiing point of view is that it is quite low and there are resorts that are more snow sure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Thewrightstuff, I stayed here a few years ago http://www.hotelmontblanc.it/ . A lovely hotel and spa just outside Courmayeur. Hotel provides minibus to the ski lifts. The leisure facilities and the surroundings are great.
snow report
I have to agree with @Tatman's Tours having been to SH about 6 times it is ideal for all the things mentioned. Great resort for a skier and a non skier with places like the Goatstall to meet for Après, what's not to like! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:
You might have to do what I did......

My wife doesn't ski. She tried it at school and again a few years later but didn't enjoy it. She also feels the cold so spending a week in the mountains is her idea of hell.

Wind forward 11 years after our wedding and our son is now 7. I got him in to skiing in January 2013 on our local dry slope. He took to it instantly and loves it. In February 2014 we went on our first "boys holiday" to Val d'Isere and this year we went to Belle Plagne. Both times we have left mum at home. We are booked again for next year, returning to Val d'Isere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We decided there was no point in spending a large about of money for my wife to be bored and putting a brave face on things. As she is a teacher it would also have meant going at half-term so an even greater waste of money.

So, in summary: have a kids and go with them Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Id hardly saying having a child to go skiing is hardly budget, and its a rather long term drastic plan Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm sailing this week. One of the party is on board without his wife because she doesn't like sailing. She's renting a cottage in Pembrokeshire with three friends. If your wife would prefer a completely different holiday that might be a better bet especially if the budget is tight. She'll need lots of warm kit, decent boots etc to enjoy herself out and about in a ski resor.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Thewrightstuff, I've skied many times with a non-skiing partner, but he liked to get around as well, not just sit by a pool. For that, Wengen is brilliant, because you can whizz around the mountains by train and meet up with your skiing partner in many mountain restos. Switzerland is not a cheap option at the moment though, sadly. Another favourite resort is Chamonix, especially with a car. But, if she wants hot chocolate, it's got to be Italy - no other country comes close where hot chocolate is concerned. skimottaret recommended this place recently: http://www.hotelfanes.it/en/hotel.html Also not cheap, but Italy is cheaper on the mountain than some other places.

Welcome to snowHeads, by the way! Very Happy

Have to agree with the Italy suggestion.

1) Hot Chocolates simply wont be beaten anywhere else in the world
2) On / off the slopes food, etc etc are ssooooooo much cheaper than anywhere else ive skied in europe / the states (to give you a clue 5E for a can of coke and the mountain in tignes vs 1.5E in italy)
3) you fly into venice, so if you are clever can get a filthy night or two in the city of love at either end of your holiday - big brownie points for you being romantic and all that stuff Happy
ski holidays
Take a look at the Aquadome (and hotel) in Ötztal. You get to ski Obergurgl and Sölden, and your wife gets a week in one of th emost amazing spa and 'wellness centres' you'll ever see.

Probably Bad Gastein is worth a look, too. I don't know anything about the skiing, but the thermal baths etc should keep your wife happy, and it also shouldn't be hard for her to get to Salzburg for a day out.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Take a look at the Aquadome (and hotel) in Ötztal. You get to ski Obergurgl and Sölden, and your wife gets a week in one of th emost amazing spa and 'wellness centres' you'll ever see.

OOOhhhh thanks for that, just what I needed to see while sat here at work Confused Laughing
latest report
Another vote for Saalbach/Hinterglemm. We have been skiing there twice with (different) non-skiing wives and they both had a wonderful time. They were happy to meet us for lunch up the mountain - and you could be there for a fortnight and still find a different venue every day. There are so many lovely restaurants at the top of the gondolas and/or at mid stations. Our favourite hotel (Alpine Palace in Hinterglemm) has superb food and facilities but so do many other hotels in the resort. Take a look at some of the packages offered by Neilson for example (though you might struggle to hit your budget). Oh, and you will love the skiing there!!
snow conditions
hotel Jwenwin in Obergurgle Very Happy
ski holidays
Couple of other things to think about:

Is your wife interested in getting outdoors in the snow ? If so, it may be worth considering Sweden for a lot of other snow-related activities, such as cross-country skiing and snow-shoeing. Not necessarily the budget option, but can be cheaper than a lot of alpine resorts if you control the alcohol consumption.

What time of year are you intending to go ? You can't predict the weather, but all things being equal a non-skier would be likely to happier outside on a sunny March day than a chilly January
snow conditions
Been to Zell am See and Bad Gastein with non-skiing wife. Admittedly were two couples each time. She enjoyed both areas. You can rent a small apartment in Zell am see quite cheaply and there is a bus from Salzburg airport. She will enjoy the walking around the lake and there are some good, well priced supermarkets so she can prepare a meal for you when you return from a hard day on the slope. Toofy Grin

The Tea Club also a Leader in Zell am See if you do not have anyone to ski with
ski holidays
What about Zermatt ? There is plenty to do for a non skier and they can go up on the train/cable car to meet the skiers for lunch.

Just an idea
snow report
@Lisa_BrentaSki, did you get as far as the OP's last line?

My advice would be to get one of the old Good Skiing Guides where they have tables of stuff like this - although, it has to be said, 'non-skiing' and 'value' seem to be mutually exclusive.

I'll throw Bagnères-de-Luchon into the hat. It's an old spa town (think Buxton but a bit smaller) with a ski resort attached by gondola. Or, if you have a car, stay in St Jean de Maurienne and commute to any of the resorts in the valley.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy