Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

jacket and boots q's.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going over to meribel on the 28/1 and its probably been the earliest in the season I have ever been, though I haven't been since the eldest was born 7 years ago. Basically just wondering what the best layering system might be to keep me warm in these conditions. I have some ordinary blizzard thermals and a nike acs composite jacket. I was thinking about a arc 'teryx alpha sv shell and a polartec fleece aswell does this sound like a reasonable combination for whatever I may encounter?

On top of this is my problem with boots, I have a pair of nordica gp 07 custom fit boots I bought a few years ago but haven't yet used. Put them on the other day and the sides of my wide feet were in agony without even moving. Can I get these stretched to fit or is it not worth the risk and getting some new boots?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ollski, your layering seems fine to me. I wore 4 layers on top whilst in Canada last January, ski-jacket, wind-stopper fleece jacket (zipped into my jacket.) and 2 thin sweaters, one of which was a polar neck.

The usual thermal long-johns will suffice underneath your sallopettes.

As for your boots, I would advise you to buy a new pair if they're hurting your feet, you'll never be able to ski well without well fitted boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suggest that you take your current boots to a good bootfitter and let him decide which route to go. I find that the boots always feel very different out on the hill in the cold than in a heated living room where the feet will swell within a few minutes and then the boots will feel too small.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely the good bootfitters will be more inclined to sell you new boots than work on my old pair though?. When I say I have never used them I did take them to Tamworth a couple of years ago but it was only for an hour and I was pretty keen to get off the slope due to my feet hurting. Is it possible that the mouldable boot liners would need resetting after a few years of no use?. Anyone think snow and rock are classed as a good bootfitter, I have heard good reports about their fitting for new boots by relatives who have been instore 3 or 4 hours for a fitting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ollski, Take yourself off to Lockwoods at Leamington Spa.They were quite happy to work on my wife's boots that were purchased elsewhere.She needed conformable insoles plus a bit of strategic padding around the ankle area(her boots were too big)
The guys there know what they are doing and,I believe from experience,will give you an honest assessment on your current boots.As its a busy time of year,I would suggest you book an appointment time.
All sorts of strange things may have happened to your feet in the last few years,and it sounds as if your boots were never 'broken' in.With use,the liner will crush and the boot volume grow.But none of this will ever redeem an ill fitting boot.At the end of the day,should you need new boots,this will be amply rewarded by an excellent holiday.

BTW,welcome to snowHeads.Nice to know I'm not the only snowHead in Worcestershire wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't forget about your face and ears, It was -15 on top yetserday, and a total white out, I wish i had more protection.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy