Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc 1800 1950 or 2000

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned and want to book again for next year, any body know of nice self catering for 8 adults and 3 children travelling 5th March 2016

Any advise would be fab

Thanks Carol Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4-bed apartments in 1950 officially sleep 10 but I think it may be a little cramped. I would contact pierre et vacances direct and go for 2 x 3-bed apartments and request them next door to each other, doesn't really matter which building, they're all 4-star. The entire village is built on a 2-storey car park, and everything from the boot rooms to the night club is extremely convenient. The apartments are well appointed with towels, robes, slippers, toiletries all laid out. However, a 3-bed apartment for that week will probably be close to £2k for the week. 1950 would be my preference.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arc 1950 is probably the best place to stay of the three you mention as it is ideal for families. I'd recommend looking at Ski Collection who also feature properties in Arc 2000 and Arc 1800. The CGH properties Oree des Cimes and Neiges in Vallandry are also supposed to be very good (friends stayed there in March and loved it)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
May I make a suggestion: look on homeaway.com or owners abroad.
I took my daughters to a lovely equipped apartment in 1800 in January that was a snip compared to booking through P&V, Odalys etc etc.....Ive also done the same thing in La Roz, La Plagne and Val Thorens and saved heaps.
There are apartments for all needs and sizes.......I personally liked 1800 most with the ski in and ski out apartment we had and it had more nightlife but 1950 floats more peoples' boats aesthetically.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arc 2000 accommodation tends to be a little cheaper than 1950, we used http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/ and had a large apartment overlooking the valley towards 1950 with pool and sauna. Ski Esprit, and maybe others, rent some of their apartments for the season and use them as catered chalets.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1800 is the best location I think if your group wants to access all areas of the Paradiski circuit easily. I found 2000 rather bleak and although 1950 is built in good style it is still remote from the link across to La Plagne.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@intermediate, It is one lift from Vallandry, Arc1800, Arc2000, and 1950 to the Vanoise Express and 2 from Arc1600. OK it is an extra lift when returning, but hardly "remote".

But then again why would you necessarily want access to the whole paradiski area
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Normally takes me about an hour and a half to 2 hrs to get to montalbert from arc1950, skiing at a moderate pace. Enough time to play around in the various bowls whichever side you're accessing the whole area from.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 for what @johnE, said.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But then again why would you necessarily want access to the whole paradiski area

@johnE, I like to access the whole Paradiski area for the variety and challenge but accept not everyone does. I imagine enough people must do the same to justify the cost and technical challenge of building the Vanoise Express cable car to link with La Plagne.
I take your point about the lifts involved from each base. There's a fair bit more skiing to get from Arcs 2000 across to Vallandry though. I also recall Arcs 2000 and the chairlift rides being especially bleak in temperatures of -20c when staying there one week about 3 years ago.
It all depends on the needs and preferences of the group of course.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also looking to book for next year after fab time in 1950. Hoping someone here can help I am trying to find the name of the pre-bookable bus that picks up at arc1950 and goes directly to Bourg instead of having to get free bus then funicular. Saw some people getting it this year looked like easier option luggage went under the coach instead of piled up inside.. I know you have to prebook it online as driver was checking papers. Can anyone help?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@intermediate, I think the VE is largely a marketing exercise rather than actually used. Whenever I have used it there is rarely more than a dozen people on each deck, even at the end of the day when you would imagine it would be packed. I would love to see the figures but once again I suspect that it is only in the order of a few thousand a day. Compare it with, let us say the Aiguille Rouge cable car and you will realise just what a low proportion of the skiers use it. It is pushed quite heavily in advertising, particularly amongst UK visitors, where I have even heard it referred to as a "full area pass".

All I am saying is think what you want before purchasing a paradiski pass and basing your holiday on easy access to the VE. It is not the same as buying a espace killy or 3V pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE,
Quote:

All I am saying is think what you want before purchasing a paradiski pass and basing your holiday on easy access to the VE. It is not the same as buying a espace killy or 3V pass.

Good advice and agree with your point. I've never had to queue for the VE. I remember when it was closed for a season due to technical problems. I think it was just the year after it first opened. There was much criticism from disappointed would be Paradiski fans. Perhaps the novelty of the spectacular ride over on the VE has worn off? Has it become a white elephant?
I've enjoyed an occasional trip across to La Plagne but overall prefer the Les Arcs side of Paradiski, where I've usually been based.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suspect one reason the VE is quiet is that you have to pay more for the full paradiski pass and if you are on a family holiday it is not worth paying the extra when you have more than enough skiing in the area you are based in. When we last went to Les Arcs we purchased the discovery pass with one day in La Plagne and that was enough. I also discovered you can only use the VE once during the day with this pass - you do not get unlimited use as with other lifts.

You cannot really make the most of the full paradiski area if you have kids in ski school and can't take the VE to the other part of the domain till lunchtime. I personally find the lift system in La Plagne quite frustrating - it seems to take a lot longer to get from one side of the ski area to the other in la plagne when compared to les arcs.

The aiguille rouge cable car takes you to the highest point of the Les Arcs area and people will want to go up there to see the view. Whereas there is no spectacular view on the VE. I still liked the VE - it was such a smooth ride.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, it depends where in the Paradiski you are based. If you are in Arc 1800/Vallandry or Montchavin/Les Coches it's really easy to hop across and worth having the full pass. I particularly like the sectors just over each side of the VE so it's nice to be able to access those slopes if you are closs. If you are based further away from the centre of the domain then it does become much further and I can see that those based in Plagne Centre/Arc 2000 probably won't bother going across so much. A huge benefit of the VE is that it opens up the Bellecote off-piste, as you start La Plagne side and end up Les Arcs side. I'd agree that unless you are in one of the stations close to the link a full Paradiski pass probably isn't worth it, though a discovery pass is nice for a day. I don't think a full 3V pass is worth it either, though I'd always get EK.
latest report
We own a place in 2000 and are huge fans of Paradski but it is remote for Paradski. If you know the way then crack on but if its 1st time in the area don't bother. 1950 and 2000 are amazing locations for skiing Les Arcs, you can bomb about and pop in for lunch. This year over 12 days in 2000 we only went across once and even then we weren't that fussed. Pierre Blanche just the other side of the Vanoise is gorgeous but not worth the uplift in lift pass, to make best use of the price of the lift pass you need to head far in and then thats a long trek and on a cold day you are frozen before you get anywhere.

Anyway, what do I know Toofy Grin
snow report
@thefatcontroller, I agree, but I find 1600 just as convenient. It normally takes about 30 minues to get to the Vanoise Express from Arc1600 depending on whether there is a queue for the Arpette lift, but even so more often or not I get into Valloandry and think "this is good" and don't bother. The trek to the good skiing in La Plagne is a bit more than to the journey to the VE.

It may be just me but I am not terribly fond of the return to VE from the La Plagne side. The pistes are either rocky or slushy, a bit much of a muchness and busy. Not my favourite pistes.

Oh! I only go over at most a few times a year and sometimes do not bother at all
ski holidays
CGH in Vallandry is nice, but the websire is a bit rubbish. They don't release next years winter availability until about May.

http://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/winter/residence/residence-l-oree-des-cimes.html

http://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/winter/residence/residence-l-oree-des-neiges.html
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, I agree, but I find 1600 just as convenient. It normally takes about 30 minues to get to the Vanoise Express from Arc1600 depending on whether there is a queue for the Arpette lift, but even so more often or not I get into Valloandry and think "this is good" and don't bother. The trek to the good skiing in La Plagne is a bit more than to the journey to the VE.

It may be just me but I am not terribly fond of the return to VE from the La Plagne side. The pistes are either rocky or slushy, a bit much of a muchness and busy. Not my favourite pistes.

Oh! I only go over at most a few times a year and sometimes do not bother at all

Totally agree with this. To get up on the La Plagne side from the VE takes 3 separate lifts, so its a real faff. The runs back down to the VE are busy and IMO not great. La Plagne has lots of great areas but the effort to get over there and back from Les Arcs puts me off.

In my working season in Les Arcs a few years back I went over to La Plagne only 3 times during the whole season (and one of those times was due to work). Les Arcs had absolutely plenty to offer. I think the Vanoise Express is worth the money for the views, so the Discovery Pass is money well spent to take that in and experience a different ski area for a day. But any more than 1 day over there in a week is a big effort, and most people probably won't make the most of a Paradiski pass.

Also, my favourite area of Les Arcs is Peisey/Vallandry, so it's difficult to leave that behind if its really good conditions.
latest report
Quite like the options from 1950 over to the VE if i'm honest. Up and over from 2000 via wherever u care to go. Up and straight over from 1950 or down to the huskies then up and over down to 1600 using a lovely run thru the trees. Doesn't take very long or u can bypass 1600 if fancy a change.
ski holidays
The odd thing about the les arcs side is that is always feels slow to go from the Vallandry end to the 1600 end, but fast to get back. I think the downhill course in the middle has something to do with it.
snow conditions
Hi Guys, thanks for ideas, have opted for Arc 2000, has anyone stayed in the Arollies Neiges apartments complex in Arc 2000, looking to book either this one or a privately owned with no pool ??? Help any ideas would be much appreciated Thanks Carol Very Happy
ski holidays
@Caz1379, Good choice, don't know that specific place sorry. Worth also asking on the Les Arcs thread from this season, might get more visibility?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112394
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy