Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Dedicated Indoor Skis Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi -

Considering joining the Milton Keynes fridge to keep my legs in shape and maybe take a few technical lessons in the 'off season' . . .don't however, wish to batter the bases of my lovely new All Mountain Rossies on indoor snow and the exposed bits of plywood frequently found on the drag lift . . .

Obviously also don't want to spend a fortune, what are the best dedicated skis for this purpose? Current holiday skis are 178's with an 84 waist . . .

Was considering some used twin tip park skis in a similar length/waist (or maybe slightly shorter) or alternatively some short radius slalom skis . . .quite like the idea of practicing the odd jump and skiing backwards to amuse the kids etc but also want to be able to drill short radius turns to maximise fitness/technique etc . . .

Your thoughts (or maybe even skis if you're selling them) would be appreciated . . .Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's a good idea. I ski on dryslopes and I've bought myself a pair for that. I have found that these short slopes lend themselves really well to freestyle so I've been doing that through the summer. On that basis I went for a pair of true twin tips. I bought longer skis than I would normally go for just because those were what was available when I was looking and it turned out to be a good idea. The reason why is because they are centrally mounted, so that both they and my "snow" skis are pretty much the same length at the front but the twin tips are much longer at the back. It makes sense when you think about it, but I hadn't and so was lucky! The extra length also gives you a bit of stability when you land. The twin tips are also much narrower (79mm against 90mm) and that means I have less resistance and go faster. That would help you pick up speed on the short distance you have to the boxes and kicker at MK where you can't really get much edge.

And if you are thinking that freestyle is not for you, wait until you've been up and down half a dozen times, remembered your technique and realised how short the slope is! Then you'll be thinking about what else you can do for the rest of the session and that little area of park over to the right will start to look more and more appealing!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply . . .eventual boredom factor was one of the reasons I thought park skis may be the best option . . .what lengths are we talking about (based on my current 178cms) and are all park skis the same in terms of sidecut? Some seem to be short rad (12-13m) and some much larger . . .?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My "snow" skis are 163cm. I am 177cm and 78kg. My twin tips are 175cm, but, like I said, all the extra length is at the back and they are the same length at the front. I just looked up the specs which say they are 83mm wide but I measure them at 79mm:

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/bluehouse-antics-2013 and http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2011-2012-bluehouse-antics-182cm

They have an advertised radius of 20m, but that doesn't really matter for what I do on them. I fired them down the slope last week to warm up and they find a good edge. They can make tight turns but they prefer long ones! Watching the youngsters, they don't normally make an edge. This won't apply so much to you at MK but Snowtrax have a kicker at the bottom of their slope and the aim with that is to hit it at speed so I tend to ski in as straight a line as I can on an edge which translate as two long turns before I straighten up and assume the position! I guess a wide radius is of benefit there.

You will have the opportunity to do a bit more real skiing so radius might be of benefit but if you've doing freestyle you'll be mostly snowploughing towards things. It always amazes me how much height you get off really quite low speeds. And if you attempt switch you really will want them to be slow!! Shocked

I guess, in terms of length, if you measured your ski from tip to mid binding and double it you'd have the same amount in front of you as your current skis. Following the same ratio as mine that should be about 190cm, which sounds awfully cumbersome to me, but I am quite short. Are your skis 178cm because you like to go fast or because you're tall? If it's the first I'd go a bit shorter on twin tips. If I remember rightly the guides suggest that park skis should be much the same as expert skis.

Lots of flex lets you do a thing the young people call buttering which is basically mucking about on your skis. Stiffer skis are more stable on landing And a bit of camber gives you a bit of spring on take off.

And finally! I bought my skis on here. It's worth a look and the joy is that you get to talk to a fellow snowHead about skis and skiing and we tend to be pretty keen to do that. The guy I bought mine from turned out to be a ski instructor from Leeds who was just off to do a season in Niseko Going green But I've also used Skibarn on eBay (sometimes a bit cheaper direct http://www.skibarn.co.uk/en/). They are less chatty and you need to be quite sure of what you want. I've had used twin tips on search on eBay and there is a very definite season: January through to March. Same for snowHeads, I thought it would be outside of the season as people planned but they seem to decide on a new pair and then stick their old ones on eBay, During that period you'd get a pretty good pair for £200 and an okay pair for £100.

Hope that is of some help
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was looking at Glisshop deals - they have some Rossignol Sprayer XE in 178's with bindings for £154 . . .they've also got some Fischer Renegade in 172's for £167 and some Apo STW's for the same money . . .Fischer Gurus in 178's for £170 . . ? Tempted by the Renegades as they have a tighter radius . . .what do you think?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, I'd not seen that site before. Good prices for decent skis. To be honest all my research was on older skis because I was assuming I'd be buying second hand. So I'm not much use. The Renegades are a 6cm shorter than your current skis and if they're centre mounted that might take another few cm off. So they could end up feeling like blades!! How about another approach: get started at MK with your current skis and then talk to people there to see what they use and what they suggest and whether you'd be happier on a shorter ski . . . and whether you get bored of it all and don't want to go very often.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest part of the reason is I don't want to use my current skis and end up spending dosh on constant waxing/servicing . . .want to keep them for best ie. hols and real snow only.
Thought a park ski may be a bit 'hardier' in terms of the edges etc and if I can buy cheap then I wont be bothered about the indoor snow / crap surface / general indoor use messing up the bases etc . . .think you're right about the Renegades in terms of length as they are also rockered - however for indoor only is this necessarily a problem?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know what you mean. I didn't permanently damage mine but I have bashed them up a bit. Although, based on this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2718548#2718548

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have bashed them up a bit more and then I could be thinking about one of the recommendations on there!

Why don't you look at something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rossignol-Scratch-FS-Twin-Tip-Park-Skis-180cm-With-Bindings-/141645668356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fabd6004

You might be able to convince him to post. It should cost about £15. They are quite old and knackered but they would give you a pair to get started on. And they might be all right. And then if you get into it you can look for a suitable pair.

There might be a rash of them as the seasonaires get back home. So keep an eye on eBay and snowHeads.

Or what about hiring kit there, to start with? Do they charge extra?

In terms of whether they'd be alright or not, your right. I don't think it will matter much on short slopes unless you get good and want to take it further. I tend to get down to one or other slopes once a week for a while and then something comes up and I don't go for ages. Last year was good as Snowtrax were running group freestyle lesson and I went with my daughter. But she's not interested this year and I felt a bit awkward being the only adult without her!! Now I'm trying to convince her to learn snowboarding!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Managed to source a pair from my local Lockwoods . . .one of the techies was flogging some park skis for £50 - a bit rough around the edges, but more than suitable for indoor abuse!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Belch, Very Happy Very Happy That's a result!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mmm. . .denied - they were terrible! Anyone want a pair of used Volkl Bridge in 170 something . . ? Too hefty for the MK Backcountry . . .back to the drawing board
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
why do you think you will damage your normal skis using them indoors? after skiing on brand new skis for 5 months almost once a week indoors there is no way you could tell from looking at the bases, ptex is tough stuff and the snow isn't very tough at all in comparison.
I say save yourself the hassle and use the skis you will normally use, come next winter get them a service if it's needed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you seen the areas at the top of the lifts at MK? Its basically exposed ply with the odd nail and thin coating of slush . . .did use my normal skis originally and they came back scorched and with channels/grooves in several places. Yes could theoretically use and service regularly however I would rather keep my best for best . . .can't believe you had ten weeks of indoor use without base/edge damage . .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No I've never been to MK, cant you avoid the timber and nails?, i don't expect ever to get any base or edge damage indoors and i don't know anyone who does to be honest, normal wear and tear sure but nothing that would do damage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit the bullet and got some Head Rev 75's in 170cms from Glisshop at a ridiculous price . . .cheaper than buying second hand from Ski Bartlett. . .let the nails, plywood & neige merde do their worst!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy