Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What SL skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Jnr has been in group training sessions with a coach in order to potentially start racing at some point in the near future. He's been advised to get some 150cm slalom skis. We've been on the look out for some used ones but not seen an awful lot yet.

I've seen these though at a seemingly massive reduction http://www.snowcore.co.uk/rossignol-radical-world-cup-sl-fis-slant-nose-bindings any one have any idea why these could be reduced so much? Are they no longer legal to race on?

Any pointers on anything we should be looking for? Jnr is 13, 178cm and weighs around 70kg (so pretty much adult sized).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, The skis are cheap because they are an odd size, for actual FIS races you need either 165 (male) or 155 (female & u18 male), these will have been designed for U16s to use as a step up to adult skis. They are also a couple of years old.

For a big 13yo they could be just right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
150cm is the final step on the junior ski ladder. As already mentioned 155cm is the length for senior ladies and 165 for senior men. "Senior" means over 16 and running FIS races. Both the 155 and 165 (even more) are a lot stiffer than the 150 skis. It's normal for teenage boys to spend a season on 155 women's skis as a stepping stone to the 165 length.

At his weight 150 is on the edge. My son is 14 this year and has raced for several years. He weighs 60kg and raced on 150. Next season he will be on 155 for sure. But since your son is new to racing and probably less aggressive, 150 could work well. But the season after he will definitely need to step up to 155. It's not the 5cm extra length which is importsnt but the extra stiffness, especially in in torsion.

M
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hammerite, We've ordered a pair of those for oski as they seem to be a bargain. Up to now, he's been skiing on 150cm junior slalom skis (including the latest Heros), but we expect he'll make the (expensive) jump to adult skis in the next season. How old is your Jnr? If he's in the U16 category already, then maybe give them a go, but if he's still U14, he'll may find them too much to handle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

@RobW, he's 13. Turns 14 in July. I'm not really too sure how long it will be until he actually races, for now it's training to see how far he improves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Head make a 156 junior slalom ski, might be an option given your sons height and weight.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say these may be too stiff for him, if he's new to racing? They may be tricky, as he needs to be able to flex them? I think if they are to stiff he will end up skidding a bit?

I would go for a junior race ski. Most brands will offer one in 150 or slightly bigger. head are , I would say, the stiffest junior ski, so they may make a good transition.

Really I would talk to/email the coach. They will have seen him ski and be better at hazarding a guess.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, My daughter uses a rather old pair of them to freeski on, and a new pair to slalom race on. She is 14 and 165cm tall and quite a bit lighter then your son. (55kg) We have used them for 2 seasons as she has not grown much in that time. (but not used much this season due to knee issues). When she moved up to them from a pair of salomon junior SL 3v in 144, they seemed alot stiffer than the salomons, and her performance really jumped a level. Try them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. I'll run them past the coach and see what he thinks. One stumbling block of Jnr skis is binding size, he's got pretty big feet and isn't far off out growing his 29.5 boots. Could this be a problem?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite, It won't just be a problem with junior skis, if his feet grow any more he won't be able to get race boots at all.

Has he thought of taking up basketball.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, thankfully ski boots need to be worn tight or else we'd be in trouble! We struggle for football boots already, Nike and Adidas size 13s don't fit him (although I think both are sized pretty small as his school shoes are 12s). Thankfully his foot growth does seem to be slowing down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hammerite, Just looked at my daughters skis (she is the opposite.... boot sole 268mm!) Plate is marked for up to 365mm boot sole, its the r20 plate that goes on adult skis as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite, I have some of this seasons Head iSL team at 146 if they might be any use?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scooby_simon, thanks, will check with the coach. Can you PM me with a price?

@Zorrac, thanks for looking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out:

http://teamedelweissequipe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/13-14-Rossignol-Weight-Recommendations.pdf

And draw your own conclusions.
ski holidays
I've got some Volkl super sport 5 star 154cm in excellent condition going spare if any use? Based in Sheffield if you are nearby and want to check them out
Happy to pass on to a good home for a small sum if suitable
http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/volkl_supersport_5_star_2006/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-04-15 21:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@hyperkub, useful thanks. That tells me that Jnr is a fair bit heavier than your average u14 ski racer! But then I kind of thought that anyway.
latest report
Well the pair we ordered arrived today, and oski's initial verdict is that they are very similar in end-to-end flex than his current Rossi (Junior) Heros, but the plate makes the mid-ski flex less. He says he'll try them out at the races at CFe this weekend and report back.
snow report
@hammerite, I'm not sure where you are, but if you could come along to one of the summer race meets you'll get a good view of what racers of various ages/abilities are using. Your youngster might even be able to have a few runs on some of them.

The current calendar is here: http://britski.org/15artcalver19.pdf
ski holidays
@RobW, thanks, might do that. We're Southern so Welwyn, Hemel and MK are our locals.
ski holidays
Just a quick update we ended up getting Jnr these http://www.skibartlett.com/head-world-cup-rebels-sl-team-junior-race-slalom-skis-146-151-156cm-2015-33220-p.asp in 156cm. He's not had chance to use them yet a we only managed to get them this week.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
Just a quick update we ended up getting Jnr these http://www.skibartlett.com/head-world-cup-rebels-sl-team-junior-race-slalom-skis-146-151-156cm-2015-33220-p.asp in 156cm. He's not had chance to use them yet a we only managed to get them this week.

My son loves his 151's; they are stiffer than most so will reward good technique and are (in Michael's words) more lively and twitchy that the Atomic Ladies 155's he tried at Hemel on the Ambition camp last week.

He has Head iSL RD Ladies 156's coming in the autumn for next season.

Are you going to be at Hemel on Saturday ?
ski holidays
No, Jnr will be at MK on Saturday morning. I'll probably pop along too and might grab an hour as I've just bought my first skis (awaiting delivery), been getting by with hired skis up until now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy