Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Four US resorts continue to ban snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Twenty years after snowboarding began to gain mass popularity - snowboarders accounted for 29% of lift ticket sales in the USA last winter - four American resorts are literally maintaining their status as 'ski resorts'.

Snowboarding is still banned in Deer Valley and Alta (both in Utah), Taos in New Mexico, and Mad River Glen in Vermont.

This article by Doug Alden of Associated Press in Salt Lake Tribune reviews the varied reasons that skiers have these mountains to themselves:

- The one-time owner of Mad River Glen got mad with some snowboarders who didn't agree with her policy of banning snowboarders from its historic single chairlift and insulted her in a shop. The ski area is now a cooperatively-owned business, and its hundreds of shareholders have decided to continue the policy.

- Deer Valley just seems to be too posh, sophisticated and exclusive to want to know!

- Alta, a mecca for powder skiers, first introduced its skier-only policy in the early 1980s and has maintained its stance despite its recent lift-link with Snowbird. This is a particularly interesting case in point, since the most sophisticated development work in snowboarding in the 1970s - on the Winterstick, made in Salt Lake City, was done on local slopes.

- Taos seemingly just likes a 'pure skiing' image, and is sticking with that for the moment.

There's now speculation as to which of these four areas might blink first and join the hundreds of US (and thousands of worldwide) ski areas that adopt no discrimination.

As a skier, would you visit a ski-only resort as a matter of specific choice?
As a boarder, would you like to see snowboard-only mountains?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out of interest.... is skiing simply defined as using 2 planks and not 1?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably not. I'm not aware that mono-skiing is banned in any of the above resorts.

There's also the Skwal, a kind of monoski-snowboard hybrid, that might be allowed because the stance is forward rather than sideways.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just wondered since I like skiboarding which of course is effectively short skis with no poles.

I can understand distaste for snowboarders, I think it would be heaven to ski without finding seated snowboarders over the brow of every hill you come to! Oh and the sound is awful! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My sister lives and skis in the States and her main gripe is the amount of soft snow scraped off steeper pitches by boarders side-slipping on one edge.

The counter-argument is that boarders buy lots of lift tickets and hence maintain the viability of ski areas (her regular one is Jiminy Peak). Presumably that economic argument is a key reason that so few mountains ban snowboarding, though it might be illegal in Europe to do so, under anti-discimination legislation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was skiing at a small NH area yesterday and heard to Mad River Glen stories while riding the lift. FWIW, MRG is owned by a cooperative of skiers and is a VERY traditional, old time New England ski area. One story: At a recent share holders meeting someone got up and said we should at least talk about snowboarders. He said he wasn't in favor of allowing boarding but thought the cooperative should at least discuss the issue. After a long pause someone in the back said "get the rope." The second stroy was about the person who owned MRG prior to the cooperative. A snowboarder showed up, the owner said what are you doing with that, the boarder said I want to board this mountain. The owner said you're not boarding my mountain. The boarder was Howard Dean, governor of Vermont. The cooperative has an old single chair which is nearing it's end of life, they've decided when it was time they had to replace the old lift, it would be replaced with another single. MRG is reputed to offer very good expert level skiing when snow conditions are good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find it amazing in this day and age that resorts/people still actually believe the nonsense that is spouted about snowboarders. I have snowboarded for over 10 years, have spent seasons in the alps and a fair amount of time in canada.. and all I can say is the amount of people I have seen behaving stupidly is not neatly divided into bad snowboarders and nice skiers. Some of the most idiotic people I have had the displeasure of witnessing happen to have been on skis.. one good example.. two blokes who had obviously been in the pub, were not capable of much more than a snow plough, get off the beginners chair in arc 1800 and decide to race each other to the bottom of the hill by 'straightlining' it( in a snowplough).. all through numerous groups of beginners and children trying to find their way down the hill..it was a miracle they didnt hit anyone.

That is not to say I have not seen snowboarders do stupid things either..no desire to have that ski/snowboard fight snowHead too many folk get a bit of confidence and speed and think they are in control when by the stiffness of their bodies they definately are not and wouldnt be capable of stopping quickly.. and the sitting over the brow of the hill thing.. grrr to that too NehNeh

as to the question.. i think it would be silly to have ski or snowboard only mountains.. i quite enjoy both.. and it is a shame that there are still some places out there that dont allow snowboarding.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
My sister lives and skis in the States and her main gripe is the amount of soft snow scraped off steeper pitches by boarders side-slipping on one edge.

The counter-argument is that boarders buy lots of lift tickets and hence maintain the viability of ski areas (her regular one is Jiminy Peak). Presumably that economic argument is a key reason that so few mountains ban snowboarding, though it might be illegal in Europe to do so, under anti-discimination legislation.

I dont really do steeps, but I have seen snowboarders scrape moguls making it rather more likely that I go on my behind when i go after them Very Happy

I dont think snowboarders really maintain the viability of a hill. I would imagine that if the world banned snowboarding, most snowboarders would just turn to skis as opposed to giving up downhill snow sports totally.

I dont really think having exclusive resorts is a good way to go, the mountains should be for everyone to enjoy. There just perhaps are some piste use concepts that the various users need to better appreciate.

Adam
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns wrote:
Out of interest.... is skiing simply defined as using 2 planks and not 1?

In france, I believe there is still no such direct qualification as a "surf" (snowboard) instructor. Any ESF Ski instructor can teach snowboarding, even if they havenever even stood on one!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns wrote:

I dont think snowboarders really maintain the viability of a hill.
Adam

Are you kidding? There are not many resorts that could afford to turn away 30% of their customers (who will go to the resort in the next valley that welcomes them) and survive.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It seems to me the objections to snowboarders boil down to two things:

1. Too many of them sit in the middle of the piste just over a ridge

2. Too many scrape off the surface by side slipping

Both of these are surely a question of education? Number 1 is easy and instructors should probably din it into their pupils' heads from the first minute of the first lesson. Number 2 I have always put down to the fact that snowboarders can generally "get down" steeper slopes with less technique than a skier would need, consequently they end up doing more side slipping. Again isn't this down to instructors to try and a) instill a sense of actual ability and b) a sense of responsibility to other users? Obviously assuming said snowboarders actually take more than one lesson... Maybe it's also to do with the fact that it seems that snowboarding tends to predominantly attract the teens and early twenties, many (not all) of whom tend to suffer the arrogance of youth and haven't yet learnt not to overestimate their abilities?

A good snowboarder carving properly is a joy to behold, but IME it is noticeable that there are comparatively fewer of them than good skiers

As an aside, one of the most encouraging things I've seen in a ski resort was an elderly chap getting on the shuttle bus in Courchevel with his over 72s free season pass in one hand and his snowboard in the other. Good on him!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Diarmuid wrote:
buns wrote:

I dont think snowboarders really maintain the viability of a hill.
Adam

Are you kidding? There are not many resorts that could afford to turn away 30% of their customers (who will go to the resort in the next valley that welcomes them) and survive.

I didnt simply say that, you cant quote that because you have taken it out of context! I said that I believed snowboarders would likely take up an alternative downhill technique were they not allowed to snowboard....

That doesnt seem an unreasonable assumption.....

Adam
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our regular group includes skiers and boarders so we'd all be pretty pee'd off if resorts were ski/snowboard specific. It would therefore alienate more than 30% of the customer base Evil or Very Mad

To be honest, I've seen nearly as many skiers as boarders standing/sitting in stupid places: over the top of blind ridges, on tight bends, at bottlenecks. With the "crossover" look and attitudes between skiing and boarding at present, I can't really see what the problem the US resorts have with boarding (I'm a skier, BTW). I guess the snow-scraping thing is valid but I remember removing a fair amount of snow whilst snowploughing, which by it's very name implies it's not great at maintaining snow cover! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only thing I have about snowboarding as opposed to stupid practices which is not confined to one set of snow users , is that as a downhill tool, skis and snowboards aren't really compatable. If you are anywhere that needs height or extreme care the two don't mix. For this reason it is unlikely you would have a guided group with both sets of users.
Other than that I like seeing a board really laying it down on the piste and don't like to see side slippers but everyone is guilty of that and in some cases it is a very desirable technique.

Would I go to a resort that banned Snowboarders? Sure!
Would I like skiing to be banned in a resort? Don't be rediculous..!! Which is what this policy is bordering on IMV... ha!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If you are anywhere that needs height or extreme care the two don't mix.

...or if you're on a T-bar
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
though it might be illegal in Europe to do so, under anti-discimination legislation.

Surely not! If I own a field, presumably I have the right to hire it out to footballers, but ban rugby on the grounds (!) (if I needed any) that the field would get too cut up.
ski holidays
honestly, honestly.. i dont claim to be the worlds best snowboarder.. but i reckon i see as many bad, stiff, verging on the out of control skiers on the slope as i do snowboarders so I reckon no side has the right to be throwing criticisms at the other.

so in the spirit of things Laughing here are my fav on slope annoyances.. obviously i was never once a beginner and never did any of the following snowHead

-beginner skiers/snowboarders lining up right across a piste (ie they are coming along a blue or green run that cuts across a red one) and just standing there..what is that all about?

-the brow of the hill thing (mentioned earlier) .. have to say it is mostly snowboarders who are guilty of this..

- the fall line.. it's down the hill..not across wink

-anyone in the park who goes right behind someone about to take off a jump (bad bad bad)

-anyone in the park who rides up the side of the kicker and uses is as a view point (yes skiers are usually the guilty party there)

- snaking ski schools .. especially on traverses.. only after a couple of full months of riding did i really pick up the skills to get by these safely (this mostly involves waiting and picking the right moment )

- please please dont stand on the back of my board/skis.. this is a mostly european affliction.. i saved hard to afford them!

- skiers.. other slope users.. us snowboarders we have a blind side.. at least be aware of it..

but you know what .. these are all daft.. as there is still nothing i would rather do than get on my snowboard and ride all winter.. unfortunately i am down to 3 weeks now.. though only 10 days before i go..yeh
ski holidays
Sharkymark, But very few snowploughers go down a black powder run!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

paulhothersall, They do have to do addional modules and training. There's a big movement amongst French instructors to have a separate exam for snowboarding, but ENSA are not budging at the moment.

"What's the difference between a snowboard instructor and his/her pupil?"
"2 days" wink wink wink
latest report
easiski wrote:
Sharkymark, But very few snowploughers go down a black powder run!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Although the sight of a girl snowploughing down an icy Suisses run in C1850 was a sight for sore eyes......
snow conditions
easiski, true but if they did...he he Twisted Evil
snow report
You know what, there are plenty of other resorts in the US if you want to snowboard. why get worked up about 4 where they decide against it?

Bunsm yes, skiboards are allowed in Alta, but given the snow there, I would suggest that you might want somethings longer/fatter.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
though it might be illegal in Europe to do so, under anti-discimination legislation.

Surely not! If I own a field, presumably I have the right to hire it out to footballers, but ban rugby on the grounds (!) (if I needed any) that the field would get too cut up.

Not quite a pure analogy. Taos Ski Valley does not own the land where its lifts and trails are situated, merely leases it from the US Forest Service. Alta and Deer Valley are probably in the same situation.
ski holidays
A snowboard is inherently less stable on ice than a pair of skis, because only having one edge to grip with (as compared to two) is a huge disadvantage. (That's why no snowboarder will ever beat a skier of similar ability down an icy race-course.) And that is why the sound of a snowboarder skidding on ice is so scary.
Here in Taos, opinions are divided. Some business owners think that the tourist business here is slowly dying without snowboarding. But most locals I have spoken to are happy about the ban.
I don't think snowboarders sitting beneath a blind lip is that much of a problem. It could just as easily be a class of 5-year-olds going slowly, or an 8-stone woman who has just fallen. You should always take it easy over blind lips.
By the way, mono-skiing is indeed allowed in Taos; haven't seen any Skwals yet...
latest report
During the 3 years that I've been skiing I have had many "incidents" involving skiers (near misses, selfishness etc) but I can't think of any with snowboarders. Nothing wrong with boarders and even if they scrape the snow it makes the surface more interesting to ski on.
I'm a 2 plank man btw.
snow report
In over 30 years of skiing I've only ever been hit by out of control skiers, but my scariest moment occured when I went over a ridge at fairly high speed to see two snowboarders lying down on the piste beneath me smoking something other than tobacco wink , I missed hitting them by cms Shocked I think this is the biggest dfference between skiers and boarders, skiers tend to stay standing up when they stop whilst boarders tend to sit or sprawl on the snow meaning they are far less visable wink Having said that, so far this year I've only seen boarders sitting beside the piste rather than on it, so perhaps they're learning Laughing
latest report
I think that the snow-scraping thing is inherent to the boards not the boarder. If a skier side slips he can do it in a very controlled fashion by varying between hard on the edge and slightly flatter. Because he is standing on two thin planks instead of one thick one snow can escape between the two. A boarder, having only one edge to use has to dig it in hard and snow cannot escape and forms a wedge under the board and tends to get dragged down.

I also hate that noise especially when it is behind me.

My wife and I ski but two of my sons are going over to the dark side this season so we will see whether I am more sympathetic afterwards.
snow conditions
Quote:
two snowboarders lying down on the piste beneath me smoking something other than tobacco

Were they inhaling?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I didn't stop in mid air to find out Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's a shame. It's quite amusing watching someone trying to inhale a kipper.
latest report
The visual of an airborne GDOrf is not only magnificent but also terrifying. You need to have some concern for the mental state of these two recreational enhanced boarders as they may not have been expecting to see the Graf Zeppelin passing a few scant inches over their heads Shocked

Martin Bell, considering we've only half the effective edge and need far greater body input, co-ordination and control to get from edge to edge, some of us tray riders don't make too bad a job of enjoying crisp steep pistes Madeye-Smiley I think that in most on piste conditions that us punters rely on, there's little difference between a well ridden board or skis though I would say that it's easier to disguise poor skills on skis than it is on a board.

Mea culpa . . . I have only managed to get through one bump field without making a complete balls of it . . . and I'm still trying to work out how I did it. Something the DMSSM needs to give us a 'head's up' on (if they haven't already)
ski holidays
Interestingly enough, when I stayed with Mark Warner last week, no snowboarders were allowed out with the ski hosting. It was only because I was in the advanced group by myself, that my friend who was boarding was allowed to come out with me. This was because "many skiers don't like to come out with boarders".

Similarly on the last day, again when I was in a group with just myself and the host, the host was not allowed to board, even though I had absolutely no objection and was quite happy with it.

It does seem a little crazy...
snow report
Appologies for the long post

hmm moguls, not designed for boards thats for sure. Not sure what skiiers see in them either to be honest.

my 0.02c as I see it as a boarder in my mid 30's, learning to board has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, it was however not easy! my stages were:

course of 5 lessons at Tamworth
Courchevel
La Plagne
Mammoth
Les Deux Alps
Sestriere
Arinsal
La Plagne (this year!)

some of you may be aghast at this, but I did hit a mogul field on that 1st holiday (by accident), it scared the life out of me and I swore I would never hit one again out of choice. I suspect this is true of most novice boarders (and many novice skiiers). A number of seasons later I now class myself as a competent boarder although you wont find me in the 'park looking cool. and I now look back at those holidays and consider the runs we did in a different light, they are nowhere near as daunting. non mogulled blacks pose no problem, neither does an icy piste (you'll still probably hear me coming!) But I'm wary of slagging novices who end up side slipping or edging on steep runs. As I still remember when I was there scared half to death. I have now also developed a little more common sense regarding the use of speed in appropriate places (must be getting old). A blind summit on a public piste is no place to do 150Mph. as has been said before there could be anything over the brow! A schoolmate of mine found the same soon after passing his driving test, hump backed bridge + too much velocity + traffic lights on red the other side = a mess.

That said I always have kept to the side of the piste when sitting down (try standing on a slope with a board strapped to your feet, you'll soon see why we sit down!) there are enough warnings in resorts about it! Puzzled

Oh one skiier gripe please dont crowd around the brow of a hill so I am forced to unclip and walk through a group of you chatting!

the misquote austin powers Father: " theres two things in this world I cant stand, People who look down on other peoples snowsports...and Snowbladers!"

I'll get me coat. Embarassed
snow conditions
On the subject of moguls.... if you dont know a resort and are just exploring, you can find yourself on top of a mogulled run pretty sharpish and have no bail out.... now I love moguls (though on a steep blacks- it can have me on the floor easily!), but a boarder could come across this and be snookered!

Is there any way of looking at a grooming report or another way of somehow marking a mogul run which has no bail out?
latest report
Martin Bell, quite right, Taos, Alta and DV do not own the land.

However, they also don't discriminate against anyone for what they are, merely against a behaviour. Anyone can ski. *

Nike and Burton were two of the larger corporate backers of an advertising effort in the late '90s that attempted to use anti-racism sloganeering to reverse those policies. Those adverts diluted the true definition of discrimination to further a commercial goal and I was not the only one to be incensed at the instigators.

David Goldsmith, wasn't there also an issue at MRG of snowboarder (pole-less) dismounts causing the lift cable to slip off the wheel? Back in the day,that is?

*If that smacks of other recent 'alternate lifestyles' public relations campaigns, they do (now) have medical evidence on their side.
snow report
Masque, yep it would have been terrifiying from their perspective, I still don't know how I managed to miss them with my skis, I guess God really does take care of fools Laughing

By the way I don't normally go airborne over blind hills but in this case I could see almost the whole piste just not the 4ft over the drop where they were happily gazing at the sky, in fact I think hats the only section on the whole of that piste where you can't see what's over the ridge, they must have been sat there a good 5 minutes before I came down wink So yes I was in the wrong, but then so were they, it would have been me that could have been prosecuted if I'd hit them though which is why I refered to it being a frightening experience for myself wink
snow conditions
Masque, I agree, I admire the athleticism of top snowboarders - how's this for "body input": http://espn.go.com/media/oly/2002/0215/photo/r_klug_i.jpg
comprex, presumably the snowboard-banning ski areas must have the backing of their local US Forest rangers?
latest report
Martin Bell wrote:

A snowboard is inherently less stable on ice than a pair of skis, because only having one edge to grip with (as compared to two) is a huge disadvantage. (That's why no snowboarder will ever beat a skier of similar ability down an icy race-course.)

But aren't the skiers virtually on one of their edges only anyway?
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:

I don't think that I spend much time at 100% on one edge, there's normally at least a small proportion of my weight on my inside edge . If my outside edge looses grip I also have an inside edge to balance on until I can regain my outside edge - presumbably with a board if you loose grip with your toe or your heel-side edge you hit the floor?
latest report
slikedges wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:

A snowboard is inherently less stable on ice than a pair of skis, because only having one edge to grip with (as compared to two) is a huge disadvantage. (That's why no snowboarder will ever beat a skier of similar ability down an icy race-course.)

Even if they are, they have built-in redundancy Smile
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, not if you're relaxed and prepared, you just go into an oversteer/understeer skid (even at the angles illustrated above . . . if you're good enough . . . not me I hasten Sad )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy