Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire in US -- if you're thinking of hiring ski racks!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was at Frisco (Colorado) and my hired car I picked up from Denver had a leaky tyre. So I stopped into their local branch to see what they could do to help me out. Turned out they had another one just like the one I had and all I had to do was sat there for 10 minutes while awaiting for it to get washed clean and fueled up...

That's when I over-heard a rather heated conversation happening in the far end of the room. A Brit accent also got my attention.

After a few minutes, the picture was rather clear. The gent reserved a full size car WITH SKI RACK. The last bits was emphasized and extra charge were added to include the cost of the ski rack.

However, the reality as the manager explained, there's no way the branch could provide the rack!

The gentlemen was understandably upset. And for a short while I thought he had a point. After all, he specifically requested a rack to be there and it was promised.

But as the manager explained apologetically, the system simply doesn't work!

And it quickly dawn on me he was correct!

Those of you who owned cars that have fitted racks all know... each rack typically have specific fit to a particular model of car!

The way car hire places typically work with numerous cars coming and going. They really don't know too well exactly which particular car will be there on a given day! All they knows is there will be some cars on that day, and at least one of them is big enough to fill the reservation. But not knowing exactly which car will be there that day, they can't possibly locate a rack that would fit that car body.

He apologized over and over again. He offered a bigger car, an SUV that has a split fold down back seat so the skis can go inside the car rather than on the non-existing roof rack, for the same price. But the gentlemen will not (or can not) accept that solution, because he was counting on putting 4 (or 5?) normal size bloke inside the car, which would preclude any spare space for the skis!

I didn't know how it ends because my replacement car was ready at that point.

So, if you're making plans to hire a car in the US and were thinking you really NEED a ski rack, it may simply not be possible, despite what the hire car company promised (and charged)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abc, in Europe we use magnetic racks to avoid the problem
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc,

What@holidayloverxx says. Magnetic ski racks are universal and is what you get in European rentals.
The customer was right. I feel for the branch manager since the booking system messed him though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And I suppose the only other solution then in that case would be to offer a 2nd vehicle for free..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abc, On my first ski trip to Colorado in 1988 I hired a car at Denver airport (can't remember the rental company) and the skirack I was supplied with was a magnetic type. It worked well apart from one particularly windy day when there was a strong cross wind and I heard a noise from the roof so I pulled in and checked and the magnetic mounts had moved sideways about an inch or so. I repositioned them and carried on and fortunately there was no more skirack movement problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
And it quickly dawn on me he was correct!

I completely disagree with you. The car hire company offer a service and they should only be unable to provide that service in exceptional circumstances. They know they have a booking for a car with a ski rack. They need to do everything they can, such a get a suitable car from another depot, to fulfill the contract.

I agree that you may not always get the 'standard' car you book and 99% of the time they will give you a better car than you booked, but that only works for standard bookings. What if I booked a small automatic because my license only allows me to drive an auto (it doesn't, I'm talking hypothetically) and I pitch up and they say they have no autos but here is a 5 Series BMW with a manual box? Great upgrade but I can't take it.

I agree with @Kruisler. The only option would be for them to give a second car and include at least a full tank of fuel for the second car. That, of course, supposes that there is another driver in the party and they haven't been on the beer assuming that their mate is driving. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@abc, On my first ski trip to Colorado in 1988 I hired a car at Denver airport (can't remember the rental company) and the skirack I was supplied with was a magnetic type. It worked well apart from one particularly windy day when there was a strong cross wind and I heard a noise from the roof so I pulled in and checked and the magnetic mounts had moved sideways about an inch or so. I repositioned them and carried on and fortunately there was no more skirack movement problem.

Magnetic racks are virtually non-existent in the US, probably for that reason.

I've seen them for sale in low end sporting good stores but rarely seen them perch on cars (and occasionally one on the side of the road Laughing) The problem is, if the rack gives, you lose your skis! Not to mention messing up the roof of the car.

I can only speculate that perhaps they do have a few of those magnetic racks in the bigger branches such as Denver airport. But at a small branch at Frisco, the manager had never seen one! Clearly the booking system was not working as it should. And when the booking system fails, it's the customer who got inconvenient.

Like I said, I didn't know how the story ends. My replacement car turned up when the manager and the gent were still going round and round in circles for the fifth time. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On second thought, if you really want a SUV, perhaps the way to get it for the cost of a medium size car is to request a ski rack! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I gave up hiring ski racks in North America many years ago. The hire companies never get the message and even if the rack is available, you have to wait ages for it to be fitted. After having a 'Sorry, no rack!' conversation in Calgary like the one described above, I realised that the only reliable solution is to rent a full sized SUV and chuck the things in the boot instead.

That doesn't always work, though. Last time my so-called full sized SUV was a Hyundai Santa Fe. No room for skis in its tiny boot, so they went on the passengers' laps instead. Not ideal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
From experience seen, all the ski racks used in the USA have been on SUV's. These already have rails on them and the racks just bolt onto the roof rails. Never used them even though hire cars have had them ( apparently, they often just leave them on if the last person wanted them ) Prefer to just sling the skis inside with a seat reclined.

I would suspect the hire company didn't have any ski racks at all, or he would have offered an SUV with rack. Had he offered a full size SUV, plenty of room for 4 plus skis and luggage possibly 5.
When we were in Canada we had a fullsize SUV, managed to get 6 folks into it one day and their skis inside - saved the group getting the bus back Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alamo in Calgary took a huge hit when they once failed to give me a ski rack. I got a free upgrade to a new model of uber-gigantic Jeep with just delivery mileage.

After a five hour drive to resort, I saw on the TV news that Jeep had issued a product recall due to electrical issues. I tried my car and it failed to start - the gremlins had hit me. Alamo had to send another car and a recovery truck from Denver to sort me out - two full days labour and nearly 1000 extra miles. That was a very expensive missing ski rack!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
The problem is, if the magnetic rack gives, you lose your skis! Not to mention messing up the roof of the car
I've had one for about 15 years and used it totally trouble free. If they are mounted on a completely flat part of the car roof they don't give. Their 'magneticness' is incredibly strong - you wouldn't want your fingers in the way when the rack thunks onto the roof!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could you imagine how the argument would go if the customer had signed the contract to pay x dollars for the car hire then arrived at teh car hire desk saying because of a system mix up he only had y dollars (y<x). Then offered the difference in Cuban dollrs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Could you imagine how the argument would go if the customer had signed the contract to pay x dollars for the car hire then arrived at teh car hire desk saying because of a system mix up he only had y dollars (y<x). Then offered the difference in Cuban dollrs.

Most likely he'd be offered a smaller car for the y dollars that would cover (if it does cover).

And, if you have Canadian dollar, a Seattle hire agency might be willing to accept it and give you the car you reserved.

Basically, a hire car reservation is an agreement which both side benefits if the contract gets fulfilled. So within their capability, the car hire company will try to fulfill it. Upgrade to a larger car is one of the common practice to make that happen.

So, while the gentleman had an expectation to a full size car with ski racks, that wasn't available. He can either accept something that will do the job, albeit less efficiently. Or he can walk away with his money (refund) and be without a car.

This happens with airlines from time to time (overbooking) and hotels (room has flees) just as often.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy