Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Details on travelling by Eurostar/SNCF

Poster: A snowHead
A family that we know have decided that they wish to come skiing at new year for the first time. They don't fancy the drive but are very interested in taking the train. As I haven't done the train for a long time I have researched heavily on here to compile some up to date information to help them. Can you confirm if I have anything wrong and perhaps answer the questions?

Options:
Overnight Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Bourg, etc. Seats only (reclining?).
Daytime Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Bourg, etc. Seats only.
Eurostar to Paris - then to Gare Du Nord and on to sleeper with couchettes.
Eurostar to Paris - then to Gare d'Austerlitz and get on the regular french sleeper services with couchettes.

Cost (if booked at release date):
Eurostar to Bourg overnight direct: £170
Eurostar to Bourg overnight direct: £150
Eurostar return to Paris: £70
Paris to Bourg sleeper: 60 Euros

When to buy:
French tickets sold on a rolling 3 months before - so new tickets released every day.
Eurostar is 120 days (rolling?).

Places to book:
http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en (for Eurostar only?)
http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/ (for all?)
www.seat61.com (for all?)
http://www.rail-canterbury.co.uk/ (for all)
https://loco2.com/ (for all)

Paris changeover (if required)
Stripped from another post: "If you're doing it for the first time Gare du Paris > Gare du Lyon I would give an hour. The least I've left is 40 minutes and it was tight as my TGV was 15-20mins late and caught by Eurostar with only 15-20mins spare. Assuming you're happy to take the the RER (Metro) it is a 15 minute journey without changes and I think far cheaper and quicker than a taxi. Gare du Lyon has two different areas to the station the main concourse and an area tucked away a little called the Salle Méditerranée. It is all signposted with large timetables, but be careful that you find the right one in time."
Any info on Gare d'Austerlitz?

Information links:
http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/how-change-paris/transfer-paris-nord-paris-lyon
So does this website: http://www.seat61.com/Paris-metro.htm
More info https://loco2.com/blog/cheap-european-train-tickets-and-how-to-find-them

Other bits:
Are there economical Premier or First Class options worth considering or looking at?
Can you get an exclusive couchette cabin for 4?

Is there anything else I have forgotten to mention... transfer buses perhaps?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I would add is that the E* seats don't recline at all, in standard class at least. I did the overnight in 2008 and I reckon I got about an hours sleep each way, but I'm not a great sleeper on transport. Would probably take a sleeping pill these days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Next season there is the possible added option of Eurostar to Lyon. Then local trains to Bourg. Eurostar have not confirmed their Jan 2016 timetables yet, so might not happen.

Advantage is when you get to Lyon you have only have to get to another platform. Cost will be cheaper than the Paris route.

Disadvantage (1) is that at present the local connecting train requires two changes - but that might improve when SNCF/TER release their winter timetables.

Disadvantage (2) is the return Eurostar Journey from Lyon is a joke - it's not a sensible option due to the extra hour in Lille for passport/security checks (and you have to get off the train with all your luggage - only to get back onto the same train and in the same seat when checks done). The return journey is better via Paris.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Advantage is when you get to Lyon you have only have to get to another platform. Cost will be cheaper than the Paris route.

Have Eurostar said what station in Lyon they will be using? Or quoted prices?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, watch put for the "do you mind taking out luggage as you're driving" question

Assuming you're going at same time ans driving that is
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne, you could add Capitainetrain to your list of booking sites. Also, if it is like last year, the (SNCF sleeper) trains for the Christmas period will be released mid-October rather than 3 months in advance; tickets are likely to go on sale early (6am CET) and the cheapest sell out quickly at peak times. Several of the sites, certainly capitaine and possibly others, will email info about booking dates if you register. First class couchettes on the SNCF sleepers are for 4 and you can request exclusive use for <4 people at a cost, assuming there's availability.
We found it easy to find the train at Gare d'Austerlitz but it was freezing cold with limited waiting room space in February, so suggest to your friends that they try to avoid waiting there for a prolonged period if at all possible. Also we found the sleeper cold, possibly because we were already frozen from waiting at the station, so warm comfy clothes for sleeping (or even a light sleeping bag) might be a good idea if they go for the Intercites de nuit option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Eurostar to Paris - then to Gare Du Nord and on to sleeper with couchettes.

Eurostar arrives at Gare du Nord - do you mean transfer to Gare du Lyon and TGV to Bourg St Maurice? Almost sure that the 'Snow Train' which was oft used by Tour Ops does not run anymore from Gare Du Nord.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alr1970, I will not mention reclining seats to them just in case.

@AndrewsPeppers, will keep an eye for that one but not mention it yet.

@Boris, ha ha, yep - we already joked about that! Well, at least, I think they were joking Shocked

@mgrolf, cheers for the extra info, will add that.

@chocksaway, good spot. Yeah, the only time I did via Paris we got the sleeper at Nord, must have still been in my head!

All, are my costs about right? It was a bit of a guestimate based on posts I'd read...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, we did the Bourg sleeper last year. It was half term, and the sleeper leg was rather more expensive than you suggested - IIRC maybe 90 Euros each way.

The Paris stop works really well. Rather than rush across the city, I'd recommend giving yourself a fee hours and taking a chilled evening meal with a glass of wine.

We slept really well on the sleeper, but luggage space is at a huge premium on the train. I would have paid the premium for first class, but our family of five wouldn't fit in a first class cabin.

With care, you can get 8 comfortable days skiing on the train instead of 6 on the plane; it obviously helps if your accommodation will take your luggage early, though. We found it very civilised - we changed on the train (careful packing helps here, and skiing base layers actually make great nightwear), had a lazy breakfast in resort and started skiing at around 1000am. On return, we had dinner and beer in Bourg after a full day skiing, and, again, changed on the train. Breakfast in the Parisian sun was a joy, so, again, I recommend not rushing the transfer.

Personally, I found the train much more pleasant and relaxed than flying. I'll definitely do it again if I can make it work.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, we are regular travellers to Moutiers by train. We often use the tube to get to St Pancras, a train from Milton Keynes would take a similar time, our experience is that the door to door journey time using the direct service is only about an hour more than flying (assuming no delays on either mode of transport) and train is usually less stressful. Bourg is another 45 minutes to get to the end of the line.

Having used the Eurostar direct daytime service and the direct overnights a number of times, I echo the comments about comfort. Daytime is fine, nighttime is good in that you can get the extra 2 days skiing but it can be difficult to get much sleep because of the seating. And the fact that the light are not turned off or dimmed! I recently queried this and Eurostar customer services responded saying the lights do not have this facility!!!

Bigger seats that slightly recline and give more room are better and can be found in standard premier, albeit at higher cost. In premier you also get a meal and one little bottle of wine. On the overnights you get a branded blanket to take with you and use again on the return, they will not give you another one.

As someone else said, the sleeper with couchettes goes from Gare du Austerlitz. Haven't travelled this way but did find out that first class cabins have four couchettes and in second class there are six couchettes. Cabins are segregated by gender unless you book all the berths.

It's definitely possible to use the daytime Eurostar to Paris and transfer by the RER to Gare du Lyon to get the daytime TGV to Bourg. Did this for our recent Easter trip. The second class TGV is acceptable while first class is much better, lovely comfortable wide seats. We found one hour is plenty of time to use the RER going out, it actually took about 30 minutes, and it's one train on line D with the second stop being GdL. Coming back, our booking had allowed us 2 hours and it was just as well because for some reason our tickets for the RER would not let us through the entry barriers (eventually slipped through behind someone else) or out the other end (found a nice staff member eventually to let us out). If anyone knows why our tickets did not work coming back, then I would be interested to hear the reason.

You need longer coming back because of the check in and luggage scan at GdN, and the waiting area is basic and crowded. But at least it avoids the faff with getting on a train, only have to get off again at Lille for a luggage scan. I understand why, but must be a pain.

Get RER tickets in advance, you can buy them in singles on the Eurostar buffet car from London, at 2 euros each person. St Pancras info desk after passport control sell only books of ten tickets. The RER is an easy transfer but will be more of a faff with skis. It is also busy and nothing like as clean as London Underground.

Hope that helps your planning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @Jonny Jones and @andy1234

What are the transfer bus options from Moutiers and Bourg please?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done this journey regularly over the last 30 years, the last 10 yrs with a family of 6. Eurostar direct during the day is the least stressful but most expensive option. Eurostar to Paris, metro and then couchette is simple. Rail Canterbury is a good bet for tickets. Get a taxi from Bourg (or wherever) - it is almost the same price as the bus for a family of 4 or larger. Please PM for anything else you want to know.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:

Could not tell you from Moutiers but from Bourg buses run regularly up the Les Arcs, La Rosiere, and I think to Val D'Isere although we have never used the latter. Under 25`s get a cheap price.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier is that bookable in advance?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My heart is sinking at this news about stopping at Lille. We have Eurostar booked early January overnight both ways through a Crystal package to Bourg and then onto Tignes, and we have four small children and will be taking skis etc. The journey was already going to be stressful enough, without having to get up at, what, 5am with everything and then back on again?

It's putting me off doing Eurostar in the future as the main reason for doing it was to minimise changes/potential to lose children/luggage with so much. This makes it no different to getting the plane, worse in fact.
ski holidays
@sparklies, you'll probably be fine - that sounds like the standard Eurostar ski train, which does passport and luggage checks at Bourg and Moutiers (this is why they don't pick up at Aime - no facility for checks there). It's the new route from Lyon that has the faffing at Lille.
snow report
Oh phew, thank goodness for that! I was feeling sick at the thought, and also a little confused because when I went with my daughter last month we did the luggage/passport check at Bourg but thought there might have been something new with the legislation that came in last week.

That's interesting to know that's why they don't pick up at Aime. I always wondered!
snow conditions
My brother, sister in law and father were on the Moutiers - St Pancras train on Saturday and they were required to disembark and go through a passport control at one of the stations en route. Not sure which, possibly Lille. Combined with having to delay for the Tignes passengers (due to the road closures/rock fall?) the train was 1hr20m late arriving at St Pancras. Which, on a positive note, gives them an entitlement to a 12.5% refund on the tickets, or a free one way ticket (should they chose it).
latest report
One thing missed above (I think!) @Layne, is the Eurostar direct ski train bookings open a lot earlier than 120 days - we booked 31st July 2014 for Easter this year. They seem to open the booking for the whole season in one hit rather than on a rolling basis. I am on the capitainetrain and Eurostar mailing lists to get advance notification but the Easter week (28th March - 4th April) daytime Saturday train sold out really quick I believe. The standard class - bearing in mind it was Easter week so I should imagine treated as a peak week - was £299 rtn per adult and £210 rtn per child. We could have got away with not getting a ticket for the 3 year old but elected to spend the extra so we had a seat each to sprawl over for the duration.

@larkim & @sparklies, I suspect this stopping at Lille was due to failure of scanners at Moutiers as we were on the train the previous week with the same issue. Hence we had to go through security at Lille before returning into the UK - here's hoping it's fixed for next season. It was truly horrific with a 3 year old, 5 year old, bags and skis and board. As we were 1hr30+ late in we have a free one way ticket we can use next year and already have it on the agenda to get a double wheeled ski and board bag as that would make it a lot less painless!
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@CaravanSkier is that bookable in advance?

I don`t know sorry. My lot did not bother, just arrived, bought tickets at the caisse and boarded, but thinking about it, maybe one of the girlfriends pre-booked down from La Ros. I will try to find out!
snow report
It would be lovely if we were part of the Schengen Agreement and didn't have to do passport checks when travelling to France.
ski holidays
The stopping at Lille on the return SkiTrains last weekend was due to the rockfall closing the line near Moutiers. At Bourg everyone had to travel to Moutiers in coaches, and there are no security facilities in Bourg for the coaches.

As there are no more Eurostar skitrains this season no other skitrains will be affected, but the Bourg-Moutiers line will be out for at least a month for local trains (and the TGVs/sleepers that use the line).

The rockfall is huge, photos show a very long stretch of track under rocks.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Have Eurostar said what station in Lyon they will be using? Or quoted prices?

They will use Lyon-Part-Dieu in Lyon itself - not Lyon-St Exupery (the TGV/Airport station). Prices to Lyon could be as low as £42, but are likely to be much higher if the route is popular.
snow report
@Layne,

You can find the bus transfers from (say) Moutiers to ski resorts here:

https://www.altibus.com/

In my experience (of going to Mottaret) they are pretty good.
snow report
Layne, i think most of your misprints have now been sorted.

Options:
Overnight Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Bourg, etc. Seats only (reclining in 1st class). Only runs at weekends: out Friday night, return Saturday night.
Daytime Eurostar from St Pancras direct to Bourg, etc. Seats only. Only runs Saturday.
Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord, tnen RER D to Gare Lyon for day trains - run all week: more trains weekends. Usually change at Chambery, some direct trains at weekends.
Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord - then Metro to Gare d'Austerlitz and get on the French sleeper services with couchettes. Go for 1st class, but book early.

Jonny Jones, not 90€ if you book early enough - can do first class for 54€ one way if you book microseconds after tickets released.

mgrolf, couchette compartments do have heating - i find it usually too warm, and the first thing i do before getting settled is turn it down. True that luggage space is not vast - fine if 1st class and only 4 of you, but tough in 2nd class with 6.

andy1234, Couchette Cabins are NOT segregated by gender.
You can get RER tickets in advance, but not really worth it. They charge 2€, when standard ticket is 1.70€, and they are easy to get at one of the machines on the way to the metro/RER.

Agree Gare Austerlitz is dreary place to wait. Try Gare Lyon instead, and then walk over to Austerlitz about 45 mins before your night train is due to leave. Its quite a pleasant walk and takes about 15 minutes. NIght train often starts boarding about 30 mins before leaving.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Jonny Jones, not 90€ if you book early enough - can do first class for 54€ one way if you book microseconds after tickets released.

Quite possibly, but you have to be organised and very quick. I was busy when the tickets were first released and the price rose to that level in a couple of days. I'm sure it didn't help that I travelled in the Parisian school holidays.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Apart from the transfer bus, the Les Arc funicular goes straight up from the railway station in Bourg. I've never used it myself, though, so I don't know if it's practical with suitcases.

You also might also be able to persuade your chalet hosts to pick you up. We used The White Room run by snowHead Steve McDonald, and he provided a free private transfer in both directions and looked after our suitcases for us - reason enough to look at his chalets, I think!
snow conditions
Maireadoconnor wrote:
It would be lovely if we were part of the Schengen Agreement and didn't have to do passport checks when travelling to France.

That's a whole other topic for debate - would we welcome no border controls at Calais - discuss
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, actually they'd probably still want luggage checks before going through the tunnel. Which is fair enough.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
Layne wrote:

Apart from the transfer bus, the Les Arc funicular goes straight up from the railway station in Bourg. I've never used it myself, though, so I don't know if it's practical with suitcases!

Yes. It is practicabe, but not for the faint hearted. If arriving by Eurostar you have to get out of the front of the station, then walk back past the entire train. Best to do on the road rather than the platfrom as does not involve the bridge over the lines. Or there is a navette,
If on the sncf you can go direct to the bridge over the tracks from each platform, and there are lifts down to the funi.

It is considerably cheaper than a taxi if IF you are skiing that day, as is included in your pass. However if you are arriving late evening (eg e-star day train ) then there only buses to 2000 1950 1800 at the top for every 2 funicular arrivls - you may be waiting 30 mins or so at that point. As happened to our guests this week. Taxis work out not too much dearer with 5 or 6 people.

Of course there's always the return journey down the mountain to account for...

This year we have done the change in Paris to sncf day trip, and the change to couchettes in Paris Austerlitz. Enjoyed both. Booked tickets through Rail Canterbury- they throw in the RER tickets as part of the deal, and we find their markup minimal over what we could get if we were (a) organised to know what we wanted prior to release date and (b) organised to get up and book them!
For example this current Easter trip, - yes we're still out here - day time change in Paris, 1st class, £229 return.

AR
ski holidays
always29 wrote:

@larkim & @sparklies, I suspect this stopping at Lille was due to failure of scanners at Moutiers as we were on the train the previous week with the same issue. Hence we had to go through security at Lille before returning into the UK - here's hoping it's fixed for next season. It was truly horrific with a 3 year old, 5 year old, bags and skis and board. As we were 1hr30+ late in we have a free one way ticket we can use next year and already have it on the agenda to get a double wheeled ski and board bag as that would make it a lot less painless!

Interestingly I expected my party to get free one way tickets after Saturday's delays (1hr20m late arriving in London) but received this today from Eurostar:-
Quote:
Firstly, I would like to apologise for the disruption to your journey back from the French Alps on Saturday and for the inconvenience this caused. We appreciate that this wasn’t the seamless experience you might have been hoping for and are sorry that the journey had to be interrupted in Lille so that the usual pre-boarding checks could be performed.

The rock fall which made all rail traffic between Bourg St Maurice and Moûtiers impossible had indeed happened a few days earlier, however, the infrastructure manager were unable to have the affected portion of the track cleared and repaired in time for your journey as the damage was quite serious. We therefore put a contingency plan in place and arranged for all passengers who were due to catch the train at Bourg St Maurice station to be taken by rail replacement buses to Moûtiers station where the train departed on time.

Given that Moûtiers is a fairly small station, it was decided that security and immigration checks would take place in Lille Europe instead, as the station is better equipped to deal with such a large number of customers. The situation was not ideal by any means and we understand that customers like you had to disembark with their ski gear and the rest of their luggage, but the focus was to make sure that the checks could be made in the best possible environment before the Channel crossing.

As the security checks were performed in Lille (and not before departure as normal) this does mean that we are unable to use the time this took when calculating the overall delay of this service. This is because the one hour check-in time is something that would have been in place had the train run as normal. Based on this we calculate that the additional time on arrival, excluding the usual 60-minute window allotted for check-in in Lille, didn’t amount to 60 minutes or more and so regrettably compensation is not available on this occasion.

We appreciate that the journey wasn’t your usual Eurostar experience and we’re sorry that you’ve been left feeling so disappointed by how events unfolded. We hope that this unique incident will not deter you from using Eurostar in the future.

So no 12.5% refund or one way ticket for us. Sad
ski holidays
@larkim, that's rubbish for you Sad Sounds as if they invoked the "outside our control" element on the delay compensation as it was the rockfall rather than the unexpected scanner failure which caused the delay. They did announce on the train we were on that the delay would fall under the compensation arrangements.
snow report
I'm not particularly bothered to be honest as it was my brother, father and sister in law that were on the train - but I arranged the tickets, so I'm dealing with Eurostar.

I've asked them to confirm which part of their customer charter allows them to invoke such "acts of god" type calculations, just for sport more than anything else! I'll check with those that did travel though whether they announced that the delay would fall under the scheme though. In all honesty, I don't think there is much difference between a scanner failure and a rock fall in terms of things that they can control. Have you emailed for your compensation yet?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy