Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Legend 8000 opinions, difference from last year to this year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have narrowed down the choice of ski to replace my Bandit xx (170) to legend 8000. Problem is choice of length and binding placement as the 05/06 ski has moved the binding point 1.5cm backwards compared to last years. There is also a choice of 2 different legend 8000, red and fiber. The red is the same as last year, the fibre is softer. I am steering towards the fibre as the main idea is to use these in soft snow.

I am 12 stone, 5 foot 8 inches and a sort of advanced intermediate, very bumpy blacks are a bit of a problem, and difficult deep offpiste is a big problem. My usual skis are volkl supersport 4 stars in 168cm and i actually prefer these in soft snow to the bandits. The choice I have is between:

172cm 0r 165cm fibre 05/06

165cm red 04/05

Another consideration is i have very small feet with a boot size of 24.5.

what effect will moving the binding back have had?, and what length would be better? do my small feet have any effect as they are not the atypical person feet!

Thanks for any opinions
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz,

Can't help with the binding point but the 8000 is a soft snow ski so I wouldn't want to be going softer.
Have you tried them? I would go and hire a pair for a day and them pick any holes out of the reference you have.
Then you can apply that to whether you would like them stiffer or whatever. You may not get the choice of fibre or standard 8000's in a hire shop tho'.

I have only been on the fibre - according to the pics - and I would want that beefed up a bit so will look for the reds.
Good spot as I thought it was just a graphic change
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you try www.dynastar.fr, then go to product selector, choose good for your level and it suggests 4800 or 8000 fibre, if you choose expert then it will suggest 8000 fibre or 8000 red. No i have not tried them, as were we are going they won't have any, so have to buy now. I do find my bandits overly stiff for soft snow, they are great for crud and chopped up stuff, but i just have to go too quick for me in soft snow off piste to get them to perform. I know that is contary to what at lot of people have said about them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carroz,

Some people mount the binding further back to help prevent the tips diving in powder. On the piste and in the bumps mounting the binding forward can help to keep you out of the back seat. Some binding manufacturers (Atomic, Tyrolia? )offer bindings that can be moved forward and back to suit differing situations.

I've also got a pair of Bandit XX's in 170, same height but weigh a little less than you and have bigger feet. I too find the flex of the Bandit XX's not ideal for me in soft snow (the newer B2 I hear is softer). Also suspect our weight / feet size means softer skis suit us better in the powder. Was considering the Legend 8000's too but opted for a lighter touring ski with similar dimensions and flex as the 8000's. Still plan to try the 8000's and they may end up in the quiver too. From what you have said, I'd go with the 172cm fibre if I was you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz,

Last night I lined up 4 pairs of skis in the garage just to compare dimensions, flex, binding mounting position etc.

They were

167cm K2 Mod X
170cm Bandit XX
166 cm Head Madtrix Mojo
170cm Völkl Snowwolf

....... the Bandit and Mojo were stiffer than the other two but the one thing that jumped out at me and slapped me in the face was - the binding position on the Bandits was really far forward. (Not sure if this is the 'standard' position as the brakes are pretty close to the ski so it's possible the bindings were mounted a bit more forward than they should of been to get the right brake clearance).

The Bandit XX's in deep snow were always a fine line between nose diving or doing a 'Bode Miller Backseat' while the skis left me behind. I always put this down to the stiffness of the skis and my technique (lack of) but I'm now thinking binding position could be the cause (excuse).

You could -

1. Compare the mountiong of your bindings to others in a ski shop and your other skis.
2. Have the bindings on your Bandits moved ca 1-3 cm back (depending on how far forward they are)
3. Get another binding that allows you to change the fore/aft binding position and Karma Sutra it (i.e. play around with different positions wink )

Even if you do decide to go for the Dynastar 8000's it shouldn't cost you too much to get the binding position on the Bandit XX's moved and this could help you to decide where to mount the bindings on the Dynastars.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, Two minds think alike!, I have been doing the same thing. I compared my bandits to my volkl 4 stars

Bandit xx 170cm

Volkl 4 stars 168cm

The binding position boot centre mark of the bandits is 5.5cm further forward then the volkls!

Reading about this on peter keelty website www.ts2003.com its seems that french manufacturers tend to place the centre mark near the ideal ball of foot point and austrian and german further back. This seems to be confirmed by looking at the two skis above, as I measured the point on both skis and the bandit was approx 5mm forward, but the volkl 25mm back.

Further reading suggests that my small feet, 24.5 boot, (boot length 284mm) results in me being further back than the ideal point, as the ski manufactures must use an average person foot to determine the centre mark?? well assuming that. Average person foot in uk is size 8.5 to 9 which is boot length 315mm.

By my o level maths (yes i'm that old!) 315mm - 284mm = 31mm difference in boot length, divided by 2 makes 15mm

So my small boots means that I am 15mm back from the ideal ball of foot position set by the manufacturer, (assuming they used average feet) which does not really explain the bandits being further forward at all.................

However as dynastar have moved the centre point back 15mm from last years legend 8000 ski, this means i am now effectively 30mm back from the bof position set by them on last years ski....but if I use last years ski it will place me exactly at the new bof point for an average person on this years ski!

So i am going for last years legend 8000 in 165cm, as i have just been told that the idea on our next trip is to ski trees (hopefully between them) so a shorter quicker ski would be better. I let you know how I get on with them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz,

Yes I use the 166cm Mojo's (curled up twintips so even shorter running length) for the trees. A helmet is useful for the trees/branches and aim for the gaps don't look at the trees they will only scare you into the backseat.

Shifting the binding back on your Bandit XX's will probably give you a very good rock or dryslope ski and save your best skis for the best conditions (probably end up doing that with mine).

O'levels? you must be ancient (I did them too Embarassed ).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy