Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre Easter 2015: great first family ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have just returned from a fantastic first family ski holiday with our 5 and 8 year olds. Before I say any more, a huge THANK YOU to the snowHeads who recommended Montgenevre to me back in September. It felt like I was demanding a lot but it fit the bill perfectly....

Great ski school: we went with 2 other families, 5 children in total. None had skiied before. The 2 older ones (ages 7 & 8 ) went in group lessons (max of 6 in group), the 3 younger ones (ages 4,5,5) had a private lesson together. All did 6 mornings. The ski school was A-Peak, an ESI school. There was good communication on the phone and via email beforehand. We went to collect lift passes on the day we arrived, and the children were told who their instructors would be, and where they would be going in the morning. There was always someone in the office if you had any queries and they offered ski storage which was very convenient. The instructors were brilliant with the children, very friendly, and lots of fun. They updated each parent individually at the end of each morning, and also told us what they'd be doing the next day. The yeti hunt and medals on the last day was the perfect end to the week for them. Really recommend this brilliant ski school.

Good snow: we were nervous about skiing in April but there was enough snow to keep all 11 of us entertained. There hadn't been a good dumping of snow for a while there, but there was some snow on Sunday and Monday which helped. Apart from Sunday, we had blue skies and sunshine every day. It was very warm towards the end of the week which was great in the afternoons sitting out for lunch, but it was very slushy for anyone trying to ski past about 2pm-ish.

A good variety of runs for beginners and intermediates: we particularly liked that there were easy runs from the top of the mountains, not just at the bottom, and that the beginners area was separate and not a entry/exit point for everyone else. I managed to use just chairlifts and gondolas the whole week, which was a bonus. I even did two blacks, my first ever, so very pleased with myself. Some of the group would have liked to ski over to Claviere and beyond but were wary of the conditions as some runs in Montgenevre were closed and at least one lift closed while we were there.

Quiet resort: family-friendly resort with bakeries, bars, restaurants and shops in easy walking distance. Even easier as there was no snow in the village itself. Enough there to keep us all happy - a particular favourite was Le Graal Bar - yet an easy walk for even the little ones to go out for dinner after a hard day's fun. Quick mention for ABBA Sport - ski hire shop opposite the ski school. Very good with the children, very friendly, happy to swap my daughter's boots after the first day.

Easy to get to: less than 1.5 hours drive from Turin Airport, a good short transfer. Only criticism is that we used Ski-Lifts and had a private transfer, yet they dropped us off at the airport over 3.5 hours before our flight was due to depart. Even check-in wasn't open. We weren't told of the pick-up time until late the day before so we didn't really have much choice - luckily it worked out ok as we ate lunch at the airport, and I'd always rather be early than pushed for time, but expected better for a private transfer.

Apartments: we stayed in three 2-bedroom apartments at the newly-opened Le Napoleon, which is an MGM development. Finished to a high standard, these were bright and airy, with all the equipment we needed (plus more that you could hire from Reception). Stunning views of the slopes from each bedroom and living area, plus balcony. The pool and spa area felt luxurious, and use of this was included. A good place for the children to burn off yet more energy in the afternoons. The staff were all very professional and friendly. On our second day, Easter Sunday, they did an Egg Hunt for all the children and provided free snacks and drinks for children and adults alike.

I could go on even more but I'll stop now! We loved it so much, we're going back at Christmas (and booked ski lessons before we left and flights last night when we got back!). Thanks for the recommendations, very much appreciated.
snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a super, happy, report. Great. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our first ski holiday was also at this resort. Loved it and intend to go back again sometime but having too much fun trying out different resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely review. Monty is a terrific little resort, glad you al enjoyed Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SkiPenguin, we were there the same week and our kids were also in with A-Peak's morning lessons. They were with Kiki, I guess yours would have been in the same group. Sure we probably spoke at some point. I'd second everything you said about A-Peak and Montgenevre. It's a great place for kids to learn to ski and for a quiet time for families.

The town is great as it's relatively compact and well catered for in most departments. There were quite a few establishments closed as it was Easter and so close to the end of the season so pretty much expected. La Graal was also our main food haunt as the kids specifically requested we go there on a daily basis because they liked the unusual fries so much. Also some nice ski shops there with (apparently) not too crazy prices for some nice shopping for my better half Shocked. The free village ski bus was also pretty handy after a days skiing, if a little random (Thanks Linnylou26). Sledging was also superb at the bottom of the pistes as they were steep enough to ensure sufficient velocity to satisfy our 9yr old speed-crazy son!

The only slight concern we had was with the narrow section of La Crete (Green) after the Chalmettes lifts going down to Les Gondrans lifts as this had a section with a very steep drop to the outside yet didn't have any guarding or fencing at all. This would be understandable normally but seemed odd here as this is the very first piste the kids (or any uncoordinated beginner) would encounter heading up a mountain for the very first time. Guarding should really have been in place here. Everywhere else was very safe for beginners being either wide with plenty of level run-off or very well guarded.

We'll also be going back, possibly next year, but may venture to another country as we've only ever skied in France.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JuJitsoup, yes, the two older children in our group were with Kiki. She was very good with them. We happened to get to the top of Gondrans just as they were setting off down the green there on Thursday morning and followed them surreptitiously to get a photo of the group at the top. Not that we could be that surreptitious as there was barely anyone else around!

I see what you mean about that narrow green - I hadn't thought about it as we didn't ski with the children at all apart from on the nursery slopes on Tuesday afternoon. I know even our little ones skiied there, and the instructor said he had to keep them to the inside of the run as they all veered to the outside!

Agree about how noticeable it was with the close of season. We bought fresh milk on the first day and then there was no more to be found in the shops that we went to for the rest of the week. Luckily they had UHT. Also, there were sections of empty shelves and some fridges switched off as gradually the stock was being run down. Considering there were still 2 full weeks of the season left, I felt sorry for future guests coming to self-cater.

A couple of the places we ate at for lunch had limited ingredients on their menus too. One guy was closing that week so over half the menu wasn't available, and they'd started crossing things off the menu at Le Graal as well.

Luckily there were enough places to eat out and plenty of fresh bread from the two bakeries near our apartments so we were fine, but I can imagine it could be difficult for people with food allergies.

Pre-children, and also for a weekend here and there post-children, we have visited many resorts, mostly in France but we are playing it safe with the children whilst they're learning to ski and returning to Montgenevre for all the reasons above. In particular how quiet it is as we're restricted to school holidays now. Once they're competent on blues (and probably have better technique than us!) we'll start exploring resorts again. Just so pleased they like it! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We bought fresh milk on the first day and then there was no more to be found in the shops that we went to for the rest of the week.

fresh milk is rarely a foregone conclusion in resort shops, even earlier than the season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really, @pam w? I had no idea! To be honest, the children didn't seem to notice the difference so that wasn't a problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SkiPenguin, great report, thanks! We went to MontyG at half term and are going back next year as we liked the place so much. If you go back, you must try the Monty Express luge. Our kids loved it!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My husband joined the queue for the luge but it was over an hour long so he gave up. Our friends went on it and their 5yo loved it!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy