Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily \ Periodic ski maintenance, wax and edge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I dont want to go as far as repairing damage to ski bases (back to the shop for that) but clearly edges will need maintenance and the bases waxed. I understand how ongoing maintenance can be a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but is there a rule of thumb for the maintenance of skis?

Assuming they are used every day, 4 to 6 hours , how often will then need edges re-doing or bases waxed? Only on holiday for 2 weeks, I wont have the facilities or time to get involved on anything other than a wipe down.

I also posted a question in another thread re the initial preparion of skis, so there may be some cross over here. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fraserp, snow conditions and as you say people's opinions and practices vary. I'd say giving the edges a polish every evening with a fine diamond is a good idea, though I've met people who do same every run Shocked. If there're any case hardened burrs from rock impacts, use a coarse diamond or a coarse grit Al oxide to remove them first. I work more on the edges I guess every few days but the tools I had up until very recently probably took more away than necessary and to be honest I had only a rough idea of what I was doing! Know a bit more now Toofy Grin. I think I need a wax every 2 full days or so of skiing but if I go for a week, just get a wax from a recommended shop mid-week. I've just started using Zardoz Not Wax which supposedly helps a wax last longer. It's just wipe on so I guess I'll do it every evening at the same time I give the edges a quick polish.

It can get complicated but have a look at this thread. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges wrote:

It can get complicated but have a look at this thread. snowHead

It can also be perfectly simple, we should probably resist making everything complicated Very Happy

As I mentioned in another thread, the ToolTonic is a great peice of kit to sharpen the edges. A lot of the all in one hand tools aren't very good although there's no particular reason that should be the case. If you're away for a week or so just using a tool like that for the side edge will probably be fine, the side edge degrades quicker than the base edge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll take this on board. As I said in my other thread "Initial Preparation" I'm going to run with the initial set up for day one and then get a proper wax then. Every 3 days or so depending on the conditions and damage , i'll have some supplimentary work done. Hopefully this will get the best out of the gear and not spend unnecessary cash ling the ski mechanics pockets in Courchevel!

Last year one guy was going in every two days, but then he had the Bentley, the cash and the 'right skis for the conditions' (or so he said). Hay ho, 14 days to go.... Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fraserp wrote:
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll take this on board. As I said in my other thread "Initial Preparation" I'm going to run with the initial set up for day one and then get a proper wax then. Every 3 days or so depending on the conditions and damage , i'll have some supplimentary work done. Hopefully this will get the best out of the gear and not spend unnecessary cash ling the ski mechanics pockets in Courchevel!

Last year one guy was going in every two days, but then he had the Bentley, the cash and the 'right skis for the conditions' (or so he said). Hay ho, 14 days to go.... Very Happy

Don't go overboard Very Happy Polishing your skis is of course a substitute activity for actually skiing, as I think most people can see. The tune of the skis certainly does make a difference at higher performance levels or on certain problematic surfaces, eg, indoor slopes, ice, some snow types etc, but by and large you really ought to be able to ski a week without having to prepare the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fraserp, like I said it can get complicated, depends how far you want to take it, but ultimately my laziness will always keep it down to a simple effective minimum. ise has been doing this right for a lot longer than me, and I'm sure knows how and where the corners can be cut and even has a full-blown workshop. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy