Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

central Salzburg parking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have a couple of hours to kill in Salzburg tomorrow so want to see some of the sights. Can anyone recomend somewhere we can park that is cental to the castle\fort\cathedrals\street of signs?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JimboS, easiest thing is to get the public transport in. Park up your car in the Park and Ride at the Messe-Zentrum and buy a group ticket to use the public transport. Then take the bus (No.155 if I remember correctly) directly into town. Get off at either the Staatsbrucke or just before at the Landesteheater and walk over to the old town. Parking in the city centre is very expensive and also not easy to get to if you don't know your way. I sometimes park in the Altstadt Car Park which is under the large lump (the one the fortress is on) if I'm in a hurry or know I'm on a tight schedule, but cheap it ain't!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JimboS, I would also do park abd ride but if your satnav can point you to car parks I'd just locate one on the map and go for it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMO with only a couple of hours you don't want to waste it on the busses.
Go straight into the Altstadt parking and then you are bang in the middle of the old town and only 15 minutes drive from the airport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @flangesax says, head for the Altstadt - it's inside the mountain, using the salt mines for something useful. From the car park, a tunnel takes you to the top of the main tourist street, which runs down to the centre of town. From the car park to the castle steps is about 10 minutes without stopping, or about 4 hours if you have shopaholics with you. The river is also close by
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Trouble is that Salzburg itself is awash with roadworks and closed roads right now! I hope Jimbo managed anyway some how to see something of the old town.

@ousekjarr, the car parks were originally air raid shelters created during the Second World War. They are simply an extension of of the tunnel of the Sigismundstor (also called Der Neutor). This was created in the 18th century on the orders of the Prince-Archbishop Sigismund von Schrattenbach and is one of the oldest street tunnels in Europe. The rock itself is consolidated rock debris, conglomerate, deposited during one of the interglacial periods and protected from being washed/worn away by the limestone plug that the fortress is built on. No salt involved in this particular case I'm afraid! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, we only had a couple of hours so plugged "Altstadt Parking" into the sat nav and we were parking up in less then 2 hours after leaving da Hoff.

We wanted to give the kids a taste of the city so did a quick tour around and went into the cathedral below, very spectacular, will need to go back again for a few days to do it just justice though.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy