Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the alps THIS new year coming. when will you leave?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, im going to have lots of questions, I hope you dont mind!

from what I can see of self catering accommodation, the change over day seems to be the Saturday. This year that Saturday is boxing day. We live in s.wales and will be travelling with children (ages 7 and 9), so I think the most sensible plan is to stay overnight in Folkestone then cross early on boxing day morning to do the long drive. The problem with this is that we will need to leave home on xmas day.

Is this what you would all do? Is there another way?

I am looking forward to your views and advise. Thank you! X
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@breeze11, there will be some accommodation that will have change over on Sunday. Finding that maybe the better option.

We'll probably be out Christmas week as it's cheaper and quieter generally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or, is there any companies offering self catering accommodation with a sunday change over? We have been looking at morillon so far.

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds to me like the best option. You could have an early christmas on christmas eve so christmas day is not such a rush. It would be a quiet drive to Folkestone but finding somewhere to stay may be an issue, then an early train and Bob's your uncle. Make christmas and the travel part of the holiday a sort of euro christmas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go the week before, i.e. so you are there over Christmas. Apart from solving your problem it's also a much quieter week, so more choice of accommodation and maybe cheaper.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alps Accommodation have some Sunday changeovers in the Samoens/Morillon area and I would thoroughly recommend them.
I would have most of Christmas the weekend before, leave a bit for the proper day (possibly ski holiday related presents?), on Christmas day get across into France, ideally a couple of hours or so ( this gets tunnel and the wrong way hour difference behind you) and then you should be in Morillon/Samoens early afternoon with time to get settled, ski hire etc ready for the next morning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh some good advice there. Thank you! I will have a better look for Sunday accommodation and certainly try alps accommodation. I quite like the idea of getting over to France in the one day. I will look into that too. I like the idea of doing some of xmas on xmas eve. Ive always quite fancied the idea of doing the big meal then anyway.
Unfortunately we are totally stuck with new year week due to my husbands work.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tell the kids christmas is cancelled, then that whole period becomes normal days Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have sent you pm I am happy to do different changeover day
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This may not work for you, but you might consider booking somewhere for two weeks, but ask for a discount, then travel on a Weekday. In our apartment block, Christmas and New Year weeks aren't any more expensive than the rest of the High Season, but they do go first. So our place with two bedroooms would be CHF 1450 x2 which is CHF 2900 or around £2,071. From time to time, our rental agency asks us about discounts - e.g. this Easter we had someone stay on for 3/4 days (so they could ski Easter Monday) and we agreed they could pay a pro-rata rate.

Saturday and Sunday ferries and Eurotunnel are usually cheaper then Weekdays, so you could to claw back some of the extra cost in reduced transport charges. With flights, the difference is even more marked. A colleague of mine with a family of 4 rented our place Thursday-to-Thursday and saved £1,100 in flight costs compared to Sat-Sat, which saved more than the cost of renting for a second week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@breeze11, we have Sunday changeover in our apartment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy