Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl at Christmas and/or New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Having just got back from a fab week in Ischgl I am considering going back there for this coming Christmas and New Year.

Has anyone been to Ischgl at Christmas or New Year before (or both)? I know it should be fine snow reliability wise and one of the better choices to be made early season as it goes but when you were there how much was open and did you enjoy yourself? Was Christmas week relatively quiet but New Year week rammed? Any tips?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5,
I have been over both weeks but it was quite a long time ago (early 90's) and my experience may be less relevant the lift system was less efficient back then.
Everything was open the skiing good but there were a few bottle necks.
We had a great time and have been back a lot since including over Fasching but not New Year. The lift system copes very well with crowds and it would certainly be one of the first places I would consider for a skiing holiday at New Year / Xmas time.
I usually spend New Year in the highlands though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T Bar, right ok thanks.

Yes the lift system is super so I don't think it would be an issue. Was NY say twice as busy as Christmas week at the time? Hard to say I know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, I haven't been at Christmas/New Year, so can't comment on the busyness aspect. I've been several times pre-Christmas, and the majority of the resort has always been open then, even fairly early in December.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gämsbock, cool.
I think it will be great for snow at Christmas as even this year wasn't that bad by all accounts compared to elsewhere, last week there was almost too much as the lifts were closed for the early part for the week. Moguls everywhere but I loved it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Was NY say twice as busy as Christmas week at the time? Hard to say I know.

I don't remember a big difference but it was quite a long time ago.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, ok thank you.
Must say the new Pardatschgratbahn is good and new this season I believe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two weeks in one resort means the skiing/après ski/hotel food can get a bit repetitive. We normally go skiing for Christmas/New Year but switch resorts half way. Last year it was Serfaus/Zell Am Ziller, the year before it was Lech/Fiss. Ischgl would give easy transfers to St Anton/Lech or Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. Not actually tried Ischgl yet but it's on the list! What accommodation did you have in Ischgl?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last week I stayed in Chalet Zita with Ski Total.
I only got as far as Galtur last week so have not been to Kappl or See yet so I figured I could go to those if fancied a change of scenery.
I haven't skied the whole area yet anyway as last week the lifts were mostly shut until after mid week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone stayed in the Piz Tasna before? Crystal use it so I thought someone around here has probably done so?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stayed in Ischgl last year over New Year. Getting up the mountain was a nightmare with long queues at all three lifts. The travelater in the dorf tunnel was static because of the queues. But that said, once up the mountain there were few queues, there were obvious bottlenecks(ie the lift back from Alpe Trida) but there were ways around that. New year fireworks were absolutely fantastic, the best that I have ever seen. New year day skiing, the pistes were empty. Christmases in resorts are cheaper, quieter and more family orientated . I was in Ischgl last week too, recovered from my broken leg and told not to ski deep snow! Enough said! Have booked three more weeks for next year though. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@margaret, really? Where were you staying last week?

Re the queues for the lifts what time did you usually venture out in the morning?

Also, this season early on was poorer than usual everywhere I think, last New Year was everything open despite the fact everywhere had less snow than usual?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 9-04-15 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were with family, with a grandchild in tow. We stayed at the Seibleshof, a family friendly hotel. That said, children were kept well entertained and were never a problem. There are often late dates to the hotel, and I think that many are put off by the family bit. We would not be. Fresh orange juice for breakfast, and as much food as you could eat. This year, husband was out early and no queues. I was on child care drop off, so was up later. Given my restrictions with skiing, I chose my times. For the new year holiday ,there seemed to be queues when ever you hit the main lifts. Once up the mountain it was ok. We also had a little person with us, so we're never there for lift opening, so it may have been better than it was for us.we tend to wake up with no alarms, breakfast and then hit the lifts, possibly about 10ishlast year. Everything was open, the flat bit in Samaun was a bit of a pole😄 I think that because Ischgl is high skiing in the main, snow is no problem. We have skied opening week and although the valley runs were closed, there was enough open for us. I could not say hand on heart that all runs were open, but I think that only one or two were not. Off piste may have been patchy, we don't do that, so cannot comment. When not with family, we have stayed in a variety of accomodations, hotels, b and b's and self catering. We prefer s/catering. If you can accept the home runs may be poor early season, ischgl is great. We have had 6 ins of snow in closing week!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not sure for Ischgl but in Switzerland most places only opened on December 28th, I know it was an unusually bare Christmas but maybe that's a sign of the times to come
ski holidays
Ischgl opens at the end of November.
latest report
Corky wrote:
Ischgl opens at the end of November.

This....

You only need to follow Ischgl on Facebook to see that most of the upper runs would be ready to be opened by the end of October in many years, such is it's high altitude and location. Indeed this season they posted photos around 21st-25th October of the upper mountain fully groomed and ready to go. Though they didn't open till around the 24/11/14 iirc.

Lift queues would be easily avoided by early starts and it's New Year week, everywhere is pretty busy and I would expect to queue at 10am at any resort.
latest report
Yeah I don't think I would have to worry about early season conditions and as for queuing I'm usually out between 8.30 and 9 anyway in fact last week me and a friend were on the bus to Galtur at 8.05 just so we could avoid the busy bus times and get there for first lift on a powder day.
snow conditions
I'm sorted. Now going out 13th until 26th for 2 weeks and meeting a friend who is out there same time. Went for a B&B in the end looking forward to it already Smile
snow report
Last week I could ski back to my chalet so kept my skis and boots in the chalet ski room.
Next time I might use the ski/boot storage facilities near the gondolas in Ischgl so I can go straight to apres with my shoes on instead of going back to the chalet first and putting my boots and skis away.

Where are they? Is it the Intersport shops that have them? Do they have heated cupboards you can put your helmet and gloves in as well like the Alber Sport Check In does at the Galzigbahn in St Anton?

How much did it cost? €25 for the week or something?
ski holidays
There is storage in all of the gondola station I believe. We store ours by the Fimbabahn. Taker the lift down or walk down the stairs and its at the bottom. Public lockers, 2 euros to get them out, same to put them back in. The room's heated. Some of the hotels have their own lockers in there including the one we stay in so get ours for free.
ski holidays
@Corky, thanks. Is there just lockable racks to put your skis or is it a cupboard to put the lot including your boots helmet etc?
latest report
Lockers. Boots, skis, poles, helmet, jacket all go in. You can fit two people's kit in. Not sure what's available in other two lifts as I don't use them.
latest report
@Corky, thanks for the info.

In the meantime I found this which explains all what is available

http://www.silvrettasports.com/ischgl/skidepots/depots.php?lang=en
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy