Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deadly avalanches in France follow heavy snow on an unstable base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
PisteHors.com is reporting several deaths and injuries in the French Alps, resulting from the heavy snowfalls of the weekend. Avalanches are reported from Courchevel 1850, Valloire, Saint Columban les Villards, La Toussuire, Saint-Nicolas de Veroce and Saint Gervais.

There's been a dramatic change in temperatures since the recent deep freeze, with rain reported up to 1800m, combined with a "fragile snowpack" beneath the new snow causing instability. Avalanche risk ratings of 4 (on the scale up to 5) have been in place.

Here is the full PisteHors report.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SwissInfo reports that a British skier was caught today in an avalanche above Verbier and flown to hospital with a back injury. The local police report that the trail involved - Gentianes-Tortin - was closed due to the risk.

The story is reported in French.

The closure of the Gentianes-Tortin (unmarked: itineraire) run is current, according to this Verbier bulletin:
http://www.verbier.ch/flash/en/snowcond.cfm

Current avalanche bulletin for Switzerland:
http://www.slf.ch/avalanche/rb82-dec.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, Having been in Nendaz until yesterday I can only agree with everything written. The change in temperatures/weather over the previous 72 hours was incredible. The 'run' in question has been closed since Friday to my knowledge and even experienced guides/instructors were increasingly prudent as the weather fluctutated and a local school was cancelling many 'tours'.

On Thursday , low temps, snow thin in places , warnings everywhere advising staying on piste due exposed rocks.
On Friday I drove Nendaz-Geneva return. -17 in Nendaz, highest temperature on journey -6
Friday night massive dump but Sat morning raining up to about 1700m , but incredible skiing above but loads of runs shut ( as above)

Sat evening weird , warm at 6 pm , pouring with rain at 1400m, then massive freeze followed by another 12 in of snow. I left Nendaz at 1100 and I needed my Land Cruiser to get off the drive and was one of the first cars off the mountain ( -5 c), by the time I was in Geneva it was +6 .......

I know nothing about Avalanche risk but that kind of weather is weird ...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We experienced -18 in Avoriaz on Friday, -11 in Thollon village and on Saturday it was raining and blowing a gale in Thollon. Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy