Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Munich to Ötztal Valley.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Me and the Mrs are headed to Obergurgl on Saturday and will be picking up a car at Munich airport. There seems to be a choice of 3 probable routes, Google maps suggests the optimum is to head for Innsbruck-will Innsbruck be signposted for in Munich? It's then follow the A12 and turn onto the B186 which should take us to Obergurgl-seems pretty straight forward? I have my Austrian road tax which I got delivered to my UK address. I will have the Sat Nav on my phone should we need it.

Any general driving tips appreciated-never driven in Germany or Austria.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you see something in your mirror headlights blazing, move over they're coming quick Smile Innsbruck motorway to obergurgl is relatively straight forward..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go down motorway to Kuffstein, Innsbrucke, Solden Enjoy the sunshine.

Big Tip: If its wet or snowing be very careful on the entry or exit of the tunnels. That's were the black ice is.
We found out about this the hard way ... car totally totalled.

Apart from that enjoy the drive and don't pick up any 4000 year old hitch hikers, the Otz Talle is notorious for them as the glacier melts back in spring
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bene, This weekend is the end of the Easter holidays in those parts of Germany that are still on holiday (my area of Bavaria for example), so most, if not all, the traffic delays will be on the northbound routes.

My preferred route would be: A92 from the airport to the A99 but heading towards Stuttgart. Follow the signs to the A96 Munich-Lindau motorway and then follow the signs for Garmisch. This is the route most locals use to get from the north of Munich to the south without going straight through town. Once on the A95 drive to Garmisch and then make a decision whether to play safe and drop down to Innsbruck and pick up the A12 there or go over the Fern Pass to Imst which is almost directly opposite the entrance to the Özttal. If the weather is fine and there is not a lot traffic heading south, definitely take the Fern Pass route as it is magnificent. A coffee stop at Schloß Fernsteinsee right at the top of the pass is worth it if it is open. Their cakes are irresistible wink
Once you drop down to the Inn valley motorways all your routes converge at Özt Bahnhof and you follow the signs to Sölden and on up Obergurgl.

Have a fun time, the snow is fantastic at the moment here in Salzburgerland snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.

@Samerberg Sue, I'll try as you suggest-is there a local website that I might be able to check the status of the pass on our day of arrival?

It looks like high pressure is moving back in and spring will return to the higher mountain regions in time for our arrival so it will hopefully make the drive a little easier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bene, You don't need to check it as it is always open, especially at this time of the year. The forecast for the end of this week is for warmer and drier weather, so you won't be running any risks really. The biggest obstacles normally at any time of the year are the Dutch and their bloody caravans and the occasional truck! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy