Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - Next Week!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi -

Going on a short break to La Plagne (Thurs-Mon) next week and need advice on how / where to ski most efficiently as I've never skied there before.

Looking at the website the glacier seems permanently closed at the moment (are they saving this for summer?) - at this time of year I am assuming staying high will produce the best snowpack - does anyone have any seasonaire type advice on which pistes are north facing / where to ski at specific times of days to 'chase' the best snow conditions etc?

Want to maximise time on my 'boys own' holiday as the my family trip to Wengen in Feb was a disaster and my itch still needs scratching!

Cheers for your help, Belch
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Belch, even if the glacier is shut there should be plenty more high altitude skiing available. The glacier is pretty small anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I recall, there's no need to chase the snow as such, as much of the resort is pretty high, but just make sure you do the lower villages in the mornings (Montchavin, Les Coches, Montalbert, Champagny). There used to be a bottleneck heading back from Bellecote to Plagne Centre every afternoon, I'm not sure if they've sorted that out - but try to avoid!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which village are you staying in? If there is any bottleneck to be had, it's Bellecote with the Roche de Mio gondola being the worst (I've only ever skied in peak season so it may be quieter next week) so if you have to go through the lifts here, do it first thing or lunchtime. HoneyBunny is spot on about the runs to the lower villages - they are lovely, through trees and to be done in the mornings. A couple of the reds to the villages cut across the winding blues so be aware of crossing traffic. Champagny slopes are south facing so if they're still open, do them before they melt - just checked on the piste overview at www.la-plagne.com and it looks like the 2 village runs, Les Bois and Mont de la Gurre are both closed. The Champagne and the Montchavin / Les Coches reds or blues are all lovely. Montalbert - since they took the lift away (Coqs?) - is a bit of a pain to get back up the mountain. Beware of the blue run to the La Roche lift in that there is a section they've narrowed with mini barriers (to reduce speed I presume) where queues may appear.
Above the tree line, if the Roche de Mio gondola has a long queue, you're better off going up the Blanchets chair. The tunnel is a bit of a novelty but that's about it. If you're a boarder, don't bother as I just about made it on the flats with skis. For untaxing blues, try the couple off Arpette. Top of the Grande Rochette gondola, I prefer the Red to the Blue down to Plagne Centre as it's much quieter. Verdons Nord & Sud are worth a bit of a play.
Not sure how many miles you like to consume, but I wouldn't bother with the Paradiski pass if most of La Plagne is open. If you're an off pister or a black expert, sorry I can't help.
If you need lessons, Lime Ski School is the one to go for. Oxygene also good; I wasn't fussed on Reflex but maybe it was just one rogue instructor.
Scratch that itch, big style!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
les sources is a lovely red run down from Roche de Mio to Belle Plagne / Bellecote
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, The glacier was open today although the traversee chairlift which takes you up to the Rochu and Bellecote runs and also the North Face was closed. The visibility hasn't been great recently so could explain why the glacier has been closed but I would expect it to be open this week when the weather is good.

If you let people know what level of skier you are they will be able to give you a better idea of where to head.

They also have plenty free attractions for the next week or so. There is a large bungee rope and separate 'jumping from a crane' at the top of Roche du Mio, a jacuzzi, sauna and massage at the top of Arpette (take your trunks and flip flops if you fancy that) as well as bouncy castles and attractions for the kids at the top of La Rossa in Champagny, free sweets and candy floss at Fornelet in Montalbert and plenty of other things happening during the day - http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/guide/entertainment/subli-cimes-567201.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies to date - Kennyboyo in particular . . .is there a reason for doing the lower slopes early doors?

@skichampcouk - In terms of ability I'm an unfit level 9 on the inside out scale . . .to be honest this makes me more of an 8+ these days, whereas in my 20/30's I was probably a 10 . . .so mentally I'm up for anything, physically perhaps not!

I'm not actually bothered about testing myself, just a combination of cruising at speed on the easy stuff, short combination turns on the steeper stuff and generally being able to keep a smile on my face by not collapsing with burn too quickly. I'm not that bothered about long steep mogul fields - whilst I can tackle these in sections to say I actually 'enjoy' them these days would be lying . . .off piste has always been fun, however my experience is limited to Vails back bowls (20+years ago) and the safer side country / lucky on piste midweek dumps everywhere else.

I also enjoy lunch . . .so energy levels post 3pm seem to naturally deplete themselves and the bar generally wins over the last lift . . . ! Does that help?

Cheers, Belch
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to be of assistance. 2 reasons for doing the lower slopes early doors - firstly,by the afternoon, they'll get a bit soft / cut up by returning villagers and secondly, I've found the majority seem to head upwards to the top so quieter pistes at more modest altitudes.

I'd go for a whopping breakfast, first lifts and then ski through to 3pm for solid / liquid refreshments. We were staying at Plagne Soleil in Feb and enjoyed the bar at the top of the Dou Du Praz button and Bar Le 5 à 7 sieste in the village square. In Plagne Centre, Le Switch and Igloo (popular) and the place opposite Le Switch. With 5 kids in tow, too expensive to go out much!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Kennyboy - makes complete sense, looking at the webcams / piste map the lower areas do look more interesting . . .

I'm staying 'on the piste' apparently close to the lift station in Belle Plagne so on this basis perhaps I should go for the Les Coches side on day 1 first then aim to get up the Roche de Mio / Glacier pm? Q - Can you catch the Roche de Mio bubble from the half way point at Belle Plagne and if you can do you have to wait for an empty one / people exiting here from Plagne Bellecote?

Day 2 then - perhaps up on the first Roche de Mio bubble and do Champagny am - then back up and down the other side of Cole de Forcle / Bergerie pm?

Day 3 - whats the quickest way across to Grand Rochette so I can ski Les Verdons and down to Plagne Aime 2000 / Montalbert to ski am?

Day 4 - Anything goes - if I manage the above I'll just repeat my favourite runs/areas . . .

PS. 5 Kids = Respect! I took my three in Feb (first time skiing for the kids) to Wengen and it was a complete mare! Most exciting moment - not falling off the side of the cliff with my 5yr old son on a tether/leash urging me to go faster on a red run . . .least exciting moment - finding out my 8yr old son had his leg fractured in two places on day two in ski school by some 15 stone out of control twerp . . . . . my holiday pretty much ended from that point on!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roche gondola can be caught at belle Plagne but will be subject to how full they are coming up from bellecote. They typically can fit 1or 2 in per gondola as they not usually full. Les coches / montchavin first thing then up Roche de Mio at lunchtime sounds good for day 1. Days 2 & 3 also sound like good plans. Not sure how much of south facing Champagny will be open so you may have to play it by ear. To get to Grand Rochette, I would get down to bellecote and get the colossus chair.
Hope your kid is better and none of them have been put off.
Enjoy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Kennyboyo, I had a question about this in your post: " The tunnel is a bit of a novelty but that's about it. If you're a boarder, don't bother as I just about made it on the flats with skis" - Did you mean avoid the tunnel or the whole glacier? I'm thinking of La Plagne for next season and I'm a boarder. Thanks in advance!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Minion1980, there are a couple flat spots down from Roche de Mio (that I can remember)

The tunnel run is a decent run but about 300yards before the tunnel the slope levels out so you need a lot of speed to carry to the tunnel itself, then the tunnel has a slight slope but not much, not sure how easy it is on a board and the tunnel is not very wide

The other flat spot is on Carrella also down from Roche de Mio, but its towards the end, another long flat stretch, but there is a rope drag along the right hand side to help skiers and boarders alike.

Les Sources is a nice red run down from Roche de Mio and no flat spots

The only other flat spot I can recall is when you come down from Blanchettes and if you stay far to the right and head into the right of Belle Plagne to get back to the cable car or just to the restaurants near the car, its at the bottom of a decent slope so it can be carried
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The tunnel and boarders - not a good mix. Sack the Juggler is spot on about the flats. A few of the lift intersections are also flat but that is pretty normal I suppose. Loads of wide runs above the tree line for boarders. Not been to the glacier - long queue every time I tried. Maybe you might strike lucky.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
. . .could all be academic now - French Air Traffic control on strike and I fly out tomorrow early am . . . aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhh! Fingers crossed, and thanks for all your sugggestions . . .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the answer Sack the Juggler it is appreciated, you too Kennyboyo and sorry for hijacking your thread Belch, I hope your flight is ok man.
snow conditions
What effing bad luck! Hope the flight takes off.
latest report
. . no worries - threads meander!

Me & Skiing = bad luck this year! . . .however, looks like flights to Geneva (which is technically Switzerland) has escaped la unions clutches - this mornings flight seemed to make it on time . . .fingers crossed the same for tomorrow although they are saying 50% reduction over french airspace . . .hoping the baggage handlers the other end aren't communists (!)

Word of warning - more strikes for thursday next week and the weekend of the 18th apparently . . . . .

One slight bonus - its French half term from this weekend - hopefully numbers will be reduced as domestic flights are all cancelled - only the driving punters etc . . . .will report my la plagne findings when I return (hopefully in one piece)

chars
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy