Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I being fussy? (bump on base of new skis)

Poster: A snowHead
I can't work out whether I'm being fussy... I just received a brand new pair of alpine touring skis from Sport Conrad, which came with bindings, all set-up to go. But, on close inspection of the base, there is the tiniest lump caused by a screw holding in binding on. Is this going to cause any problems? Am I being fussy? Or should I just ignore it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have those on both skis, also from binding fixings. Makes absolutely no difference to my skiing, so it shouldn't be a problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenA, to my mind that's damage. Shouldn't happen. I'd give them a call.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They were either drilled too deeply, the screws were too long, or the holes were not cleaned out properly before the screws were inserted, or all of the above. It shouldn't happen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It certainly won't affect your skiing, yet it shouldn't be there. If you pay someone to mount your skis, they should do it proper way. And this is certainly not proper way. What will you do with this is up to you, but personally, I would go back and they would change skis, as you can't "fix" this... maybe that's reason why I have never trusted my skis to someone in "ski service" Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You should at least tell them of the damage..

Assuming you are in the Uk and Conrad are in Germany, returning them may be costly..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take the screw out, file/grind a mm off the end, PVA in the hole then reinstall screw. Flat piece of wood over the width of the base & clamp (firm but not overtight) overnight & all will be well in the morning Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
They were either drilled too deeply,

or the opposite.

btw what Spyderjon says above ^^^^
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advise, I clearly didn't look close enough. The bump isn't in-line with the screws, so it looks to be a defect on the ski itself.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does look too far outboard for the binding screws to cause if it's the silver/white fleck in your picture, almost like something's got under the ptex before it was bonded on and then base ground which revealed it?
Or is it just something's got stuck in the base from the outside?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, the white bits? I was looking at that bump-like shadow to the right and lower down (near the opposite edge).

Is this like one of those things where some people see the face of jesus...?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's on the right hand side, the only thing that gives it away in the photo is the darker, matt patch, that doesn't reflect the light so well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenA, if you ever, in the long distant future, sell these skis on ebay would you declare this "imperfection" in your listing?

If you would, then you are clearly not happy and I would seek getting them changed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just go skiing. If you buy gear at rock-bottom prices from a shop renowned for "stack 'em high sell 'em cheap", how can you expect top of the line service? Slight inperfections or irregularities are no big deal unless you are competing at an elite level.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So long as it's not too high, it'll probably disappear with the first base grind and not cause any issues...
latest report
Thanks all, sounds like I'm making a mountain our of a molehill, and that it really isn't going to affecting anything, especially my mediocre skiing. Will leave it I think.
ski holidays
@KenA, The common "ailments" that cause this are typically due to the binding drill hole not being deep enough for the binding screw, or the drilled hole not being cleared of debris. Both of these mean that when the binding is mounted and the mounting screws are fully tightened there is not enough depth to accommodate the length of the screw. This then deforms the interior construction of the ski and pushes up the ski base around that particular point. Just check to see if the binding mounting screws are moveable, I suspect a good bit of epoxy may just be holding them tight.

As Spyderjon says, remove the screw, check hole depth, file down mounting screw, and I'd use small amount of epoxy resin to bond with any distortions in the ski interior due to initial mounting.
snow report
Just ski them.......tools not jewels!
snow conditions
As per Spyderjons recommendation but I'd use epoxy to take care of any minor delamination of the base material inside the ski. 10 minute job.
ski holidays
What @spyderjon said if the bump worries you or if you want to sell the skis on in the near future and want a better price.

Personally, I haven't done anything with my bumps because they don't affect my skiing and I'll be hanging onto this particular pair of skis until they fall apart.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy