Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three horrible little letters - A, C and L

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So there we are in Chamrousse on our first ski day on our last trip this season...we go down the men's Olympic Downhill course, with my wife actually carving through some sections (this from someone who last season was afraid to go down it at all). We take all the most fun pistes, just skiing for the sheer sensation. We ski all day, and on the very last run, at the very end of the run (50 metres from the hotel!) Mrs S takes a short tumble...and doesn't get up. The liftie comes over, she tries to get up and bam, the knee is unable to take any weight. Cue the mountain rescue folks (with a snowmobile to pull the stretcher over the flat to the road!), ambulance, X-rays, and a diagnosis of torn cruciate ligament. Serious enough that the doctor says her skiing is over for this season, that she will need an MRI in about 15 days and likely an operation.

*sigh*

-simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone recommend a *good* orthopaedic surgeon to see in London for the MRI/Surgery? I prefer one that sees patients at Clementine Churchill in Harrow, but will travel if it's worth doing so. Personal experiences particularly welcome.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear, very sorry to hear that, @Szymon. Sad Lots of stuff here about ACLs - and not hurrying into surgery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Szymon, My ACL reconstruction experience (excellent result, btw) was with Jonathan Bell at Wimbledon Clinics. Have a look on the ski fitness thread - lots of useful stuff there, including from JB too. Best of luck to your wife - I recommend lots of ice & elevation for now.

http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Szymon, bad luck - I hope Mrs S is fighting fit for next season.

It seems like a bad year for snowHead injuries. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear. Get Physio ASAP To get exercises to help reduce swelling and to get the swelling down and range of movement back.

Best of luck and getting the reconstruction was well worth it for me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, she's in a lot of pain (she has painkillers and is getting rest, ice packs, compression and elevation). Is it not too early for physio? My understanding (from the doctor and elsewhere on here) is that she can't even have the MRI for 15 days to let the swelling go down -- so we're not planning on Physio until at least then. Please let me know if I should be looking for a physiotherapist here in France!

-simon
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Szymon, when it is at that stage Physio can give ultrasound treatment which definitely help get seeking down quicker and helps with the pain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Szymon wrote:
@NickyJ, she's in a lot of pain (she has painkillers and is getting rest, ice packs, compression and elevation). Is it not too early for physio? My understanding (from the doctor and elsewhere on here) is that she can't even have the MRI for 15 days to let the swelling go down -- so we're not planning on Physio until at least then. Please let me know if I should be looking for a physiotherapist here in France!

-simon

Sorry to hear your wife has ruptured her Anterior cruciate ligament.

Pain will be improved by reducing swelling so ice , ice ,ice.

Wear the brace or support given by the doctor and take medication as prescribed.

If she is very sore it may be worth seeing a physio just to help with advice on crutches, getting around etc.

She does not need an MRI urgently otherwise the docs in the resort would have referred her for it.

In fact MRi is only part of the assessment and not the priority, this explains how i think diagnosis should be planned.

http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/blog/how-to-get-a-diagnosis-january/

The assessment will help establish if she has other damage such as to the meniscus or other ligaments.

Only then does she need to have a discussion about whether she has surgery for her ACL rupture.

Hope that helps a bit

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry to hear, I partially tore my cruciate a few years back playing football. This guy is excellent http://www.3riverskneeandsportsinjuryclinic.co.uk/david-houlihan-burne.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Szymon, across the Net you'll find loads of advice.

It's such a B of an injury, far worst than simply breaking your leg.

Having known a whole number of people who have done their's, including my daughter a couple of years ago.

From what I've seen, those who make it back to a level in their sport where they were at previously put in a lot of time and effort to get back there.

Those people were usually at quite a high state of fitness, regularly training and exercising, so they understood the various protocols involved and to get something out you have to put something in.

In my case I cycled, and then a I cycled some more, plus gym work, all before the operation to build my muscles up (prehab), post op (rehab) I worked hard to get back, and I was back skiing normally six months post op.

In my daughters case, she was not sporty, so did not concentrate on the prehab and the rehab, she's back to skiing, but when we're walking in the mountains, downhill she's still weak and she's now two years out. She skis well but still complains of knee pain and lack of strength in the leg.

Same is true for a couple of friends wives, so much so that since the Op they have not skied, and the guys say that they only played at doing the prehab and rehab i.e do the two or three 40min physio sessions a week but no more and once physio finished did nothing else thinking the body would heal itself.

So once the swelling / pain has eased and she is comfortable with no other issues, then if she is motivated get the prehab going asap.

Best of luck
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife did hers a year ago and she was seen by the very same Mr Bell.
After MRI etc he said wait.
Wait and see how you cope without it, give it time and then reassess and decide.
She did loads of exercise, plenty of physio.

This season she skis with a brace, has done about 30 days and is skiing just as well as ever physically, but a little tentative psychologically. That is 100% understandable, I was the same post broken leg.

She was mega impressed with the advice, perhaps expecting that all surgeons want to do surgery.

Harrow is not very far from Wimbledon...and it seems she has already had a pre consultation from Mr Bell right here Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonathan Bell, thank you for your comments. We will be in touch Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy