Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence Gone

Poster: A snowHead
I am in Austria at the start of a weeks holiday but I haven't yet put on my skis. The rest of my family are enjoying the slopes but after a nasty accident at the end of my first week of lessons two years ago I've lost confidence and I'm worried that I might panic. I don't want to spend a week doing nothing. Is there anyone who could advise what's best to do? 😁
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, @inycon10. That's sad. I suggest you go into the local ski school and explain your problem and ask for a sympathetic instructor to give you a private lesson with the specific objective of recovering your confidence.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've not picked a great week to try to 'get back on the horse' to be honest as the weather looks evil.

If you hotel has a nice pool/spa/gym then I'd just chill out with some R&R and maybe think about a lesson in a fridge when you're back in the UK

(welcome to snowHead's btw!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads, @inycon10.

That must be upsetting for you. It's quite common to feel like that after an accident - you are not alone.

Where are you in Austria? Someone here may be able to recommend an instructor who will understand what's bothering you and can help rebuild your confidence.

I'm just back to skiing after an injury and it really helped me to have some time one-on-one with a sympathetic instructor. I'm still a little nervous but it's getting better each time I try.

Great to hear that the rest of the family are having a good time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I'm in Obergurgl. The forecast is for heavy snow tomorrow but they did get today wrong - has been baking sun all day. Will maybe think about approaching ski school. V busy here so maybe not too much chance of private lesson. Could look at where beginners have got too and see if I can slot in there. Really don't want to give up. Thank you 😀
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wish the wifi was better!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@inycon10, we were in obergurgl in Jan and found the ski school to be very good. The office staff were very helpful and I would recommend having a word with them.
Have a great holiday in a lovely resort
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@inycon10, definitely think private will be better that way it can move at your pace and address your needs. Best of luck - hopefully tomorrow will be quieter than weekend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
inycon10 wrote:
V busy here so maybe not too much chance of private lesson.

Even if it's wall to wall bookings any decent ski school should be able to find you someone, even if it has to be at lunchtime. I'd agree about giving it a miss tomorrow if the weather is awful everywhere, but when it clears up once you get out on your own with an instructor who knows the objective is regaining confidence you will be fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry if I sound insensitive, but without putting on your skis and trying it out, how do you know you will panic? You might find that it doesn't feel as bad as your mind is conjuring it up to be.

A supporting instructor on a one-to-one basis is definitely the way to go (and a good idea anyway if you've only done one week's skiing before).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We just left Obergurgl yesterday, and can highly recommend the ski school there. I'm sure you'll be able to find a slot either with a group or a private lesson. Go to the office and ask or speak to one of the instructors in blue jackets before ski school at 9.45.

Good luck, and if you don't find a space, just enjoy the beautiful views and spa.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely approach the ski school and see if they can slot you in for a private lesson. It could be a great confidence builder and they should know the best places to go to give you some space. If they have a lunchtime slot available, that could be ideal, as the slopes should be less busy. Likewise, personally I'd see if they have a lesson available tomorrow, as the slopes are likely to be less busy if the weather isn't perfect, and with an instructor it shouldn't matter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A instructor is the way to go. Being in a beginner group may actually help with your confidence issue as you're all learning together.
Stick to the easy runs and work on your technique (posture, balance, movements etc) and really focus on getting your turns right. Practice edging, side-slipping, some 180s, 360s.
Endless hours of fun (IMHO) and believe me, you will notice an improvement once you get up the mountain.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-03-15 7:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
maybe think about a lesson in a fridge when you're back in the UK

Fridges are mostly ultra-crowded. I'm not sure that is confidence-building.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@inycon10, Personally, I'd get back on the horse - but I do understand that your confidence can be a bit shaken. I broke my hand in December and even though I've skied extensively for over 44 years, my first outing was a little tentative.

Also, a well briefed, sensitive and sympathetic instructor can work wonders, if you can find one...
snow conditions
@inycon10, Sorry to hear about your confidence loss. My girlfriend broke her wrist in the middle of our Xmas trip this year. We are both snowboarders. Best thing she did was get back on the board once her wrist was fixed. Although it was in a UK snow-dome she still had to overcome that "fear" of falling and breaking it again. Your situation is slightly different in that you have had 2 years since your nasty fall. But as many have said if you really want to Ski again you need to find a quiet spot on the slope (difficult in resort I know) and build on your confidence or get a 1 to 1 lesson.

Good luck
snow report
inycon10 wrote:
after a nasty accident at the end of my first week of lessons two years ago

ALQ wrote:
Practice edging, side-slipping, some 180s, 360s.

Wow! If I could have done 360s after one week of lessons I don't think I would be posting about lack of confidence! (Seriously, get a private lesson.)
snow report
@maggi, I still can't do 360s! Mind you, I don't like even trying, since the sensation makes chundering on my boots a serious risk.
ski holidays
@maggi, Yes, a tad optimistic but no reason to panic if it's on a nice flat gentle green. With the right instructor, def do-able by a beginner at the end of week 2. IMHO, @inycon10 should get back on the proverbial horse and gently get her ski-legs back.
snow report
@inycon10, IF you want to ski, one thing is for certain... you won't get any less nervous by not doing anything about it. If anything your apprenension might get worse the longer you spend thinking about it.

So if you accept that, then you have 2 choices as for as I can see...
a)Follow the "Just do it" route and apply rule 5. (probably not the best choice)
b) Book some instruction and advise them of your problem when booking. I very much doubt you'll be the first nervous (post crash) skier that a good instructor has dealt with and they'll know the right amount of encouragement, cagoling, etc to use to get you over it... If you've only skied one week before then instruction is also the best way to avoid it happening again.

ps. I can't do 180's never mind 360's... well not intentionally!
snow conditions
Quote:

I still can't do 360s! Mind you, I don't like even trying, since the sensation makes chundering on my boots a serious risk.

And me! I used to be able to do somersaults on a trampoline but these days even a head over heels on a nice soft carpeted floor, with my grandchildren, makes me feel thoroughly sick.
snow conditions
I think @ALQ, meant 360 around a vertical axis. wink
latest report
I'm sure he did, but same applies. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I'm sure he did, but same applies. wink

...but 180's might have worse consequences than chucking up doing it "your" way.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
I think @ALQ, meant 360 around a vertical axis. wink

Whichever axis, I can think of few worse ways to improve a nervous skiers confidence. I'm not nervous and the idea scares the **** out of me. Apart from the question, why risk getting hurt doing something I've not the slightest desire to do anyway.
snow report
@dogwatch,
Quote:

I'm not nervous and the idea scares the **** out of me. Apart from the question, why risk getting hurt doing something I've not the slightest desire to do anyway.

I agree. But have signally failed to convert that kindly* coach, skimottaret, to my viewpoint.

*Better be careful, he might be reading this thread. wink
ski holidays
Thanks for all the support and advice. I spoke to the ski school this morning and they have put my into a beginner group that started yesterday. The instructor is v good and there's so much fresh snow that falls have been v soft! I,m not sure what 360s are? but we did practice turning full circle in one spot on a steep slope. Have tried to stay focused on what I'm doing to block out nerves and singing too. Will see what tomorrow brings😂
snow report
Well done, @inycon10, it must have been difficult getting yourself out there this morning. Hope it goes well for the rest of the week. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's great, @inycon10! Singing is good Happy

I hope you enjoy your week.
snow conditions
inycon10 wrote:
I,m not sure what 360s are?

I think they mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aDj_Z-UQsU0
latest report
@dogwatch, errr...No! Laughing I meant these (not on 1 ski though)

http://youtube.com/v/uaNuMFg8tLQ

@inycon10, "Steep slope" eh? Well done!!
ski holidays
@inycon10, Yeah, good for you. Keep trying and you will get past your confidence problem. Try and remember that you were unlucky to have a bad accident, and that most accidents are harmless and can be quite funny. Good luck with the rest of the week, I hope it goes well for you. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thank you😀
ski holidays
@inycon10, that's brilliant! Well done Very Happy

Now just keep at it and don't let fear (or fear of fear) get the better of you again.

I hope you enjoy it too. I'm very envious of you out there in all the lovely fresh snow!
ski holidays
I had a bad accident a few years ago on the last day of a ski holiday. It does take time. What I found helped is to just potter around - don't try to keep up with anyone. This was easier because my brother-in-law was a learner, so I just skiied with him: however hard people try to conceal it, it is difficult for experienced skiiers to hold back. So the advice about joining a learner group may help. I'm more likely to call it a day now, or opt for an easy run - but that's no bad thing really: it's your holiday, you don't have to keep up with the fastest person in the group. As my accident was in fog, I now also opt to take a telecabine back down to non-foggy levels if I'm faced with a whiteout (something I should have done at the time, anyway). I also deliberately skied 'round the area of the accident the next time we visited. In all, I was back to normal confidence after the next holiday.
ski holidays
@inycon10, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
There's one thing I don't really get. Do you HAVE TO ski? No, not really. If you don't feel like, why trying to force yourself into something you don't feel good doing it? Skiing should be fun, and if it's not, then there's simply no point in doing it.
snow report
@primoz For me it was a similar case, in that I'd enjoyed skiing but The Accident was traumatic. I wanted to go back to something that I enjoyed, but the mechanics were daunting. What I realise now is that ski holidays mean different things to different people. I'd always skiied with gung-ho, get as far and as fast as you can types. I came to realise that for many people, a winter holiday is more relaxed - perhaps a mix of skiing and snowshoeing (when the weather is grotty); wandering up around 10-10.30am; doing a couple of hours on easy slopes, a leisurely lunch, and then home; perhaps a swim later in the afternoon; a day off in the valley etc.

So before I'd give up, I'd suggest trying to find the right mix for you of activities and skiing modes.
latest report
inycon10 wrote:
.. Really don't want to give up...
snow report
Quote:

As my accident was in fog, I now also opt to take a telecabine back down to non-foggy levels if I'm faced with a whiteout

I have not had an accident in fog (though had quite a nasty one in perfect vis) but I would ALWAYS take a lift down rather than ski in a whiteout and I would also ALWAYS take a lift down rather than do one of those horrendous home runs they have in some resorts, often with a lethal mix of people who can't ski much and are trying to go very slowly and people who can't ski much more but who are determined to go fast (or lack the skill to control their speed). Even if I were with a group of people who all wanted to ski down, regardless, I'd have no problem going down in a lift on my own.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy