Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compression Cuff for knee rehab

Poster: A snowHead
Before heading into ACL reconstruction I looked into whether or not to get the Air Cast cryocuff. In the end I got I got an inflatable cuff from North American Healthcare that uses ice packs instead.

My main reason was price, £30 v £90-£100, the size and inconvenience of the bucket, and the fact that I had loads of ice packs everywhere (work, home, 2nd home) which meant I could just carry the cuff in a bag and use it where ever I was.

10 days into rehab I can see that the Aircast would be very good during the first couple of weeks of rehab if you can stay stationary for a long time and might well be worth the money, but after that it becomes a bit cumbersome . But, if you are looking at alternative, or ice your knee frequently and find the elastic supports slip if you need to walk around, I can through recommend the NAH product.

I hope this is of help to someone in the future.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2L59JY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@22 dropout, cheers, I am buying one as I type.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, my friend just had surgery yesterday! Very timely!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also considered another one from 66fit which I have linked below. I have bought a few things from 66fit and have always been very impressed. It is a similar price, similar concept. I cannot vouch for it but one thing I like about it is you seem to be able to put larger elasticated straps around it if you have bigger legs or are using big gel packs. Well reviewed. I only mention it because last time I looked Amazon only had one of the others left and that was before midgebiker posted!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Knee-Cold-Compression-Cuff/dp/B004OWPEO2/ref=pd_cp_d_0?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Aircast cryocuff is expensive but it is very good. Ive used them for over 10 years.
One of the main reasons that they work so well is that there is a reservoir of ice and water that lasts for about 4 hours so it is easy to repeatedly ice.

The problem with anything that requires a regular trip to the freezer is that you ice less.
Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How does the cryocuff work in terms of re-charging it? In my place in France I only have a small ice compartment in an under-counter fridge.

At home I have a big chest freezer but it's down in the garage and I "live" on the first floor of a three storey town house. I therefore have to go down the stairs and out into the garage if I need ice as I only have a larder fridge upstairs. That's a more frequent issue for a gin and tonic than for knee rehab but I did do it fairly religiously in the short term after my arthroscopy.

My knee is not great - could probably do with more regular icing and I might splash out on one of these things if it would be workable with just a little freezer compartment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughters cryocuff can be used "standalone". You basically smash up a few ice cubes in water to make a slush and pour it into the sleeve, fit it and inflate it and it stays cold long enough to do the ten minutes or so as she needed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
How does the cryocuff work in terms of re-charging it? In my place in France I only have a small ice compartment in an under-counter fridge.

At home I have a big chest freezer but it's down in the garage and I "live" on the first floor of a three storey town house. I therefore have to go down the stairs and out into the garage if I need ice as I only have a larder fridge upstairs. That's a more frequent issue for a gin and tonic than for knee rehab but I did do it fairly religiously in the short term after my arthroscopy.

My knee is not great - could probably do with more regular icing and I might splash out on one of these things if it would be workable with just a little freezer compartment.

A cryocuff takes about half a bag of party ice and would last about four hours.

The bucket holds ice and water. You siphon iced water in and out of the cuff until the ice in the bucket has melted.

Then you replenish the ice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, @Jonathan Bell. that answers my question - I couldn't make half a bag of party ice in my little French freezer compartment. Though, come to think of it, there is often a world of snow just outside the terrace.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@22 dropout, Also if your in Chamonix as your sig suggests you can book to use the cryo set up at Clinique du Sport. I forget the name of the machine now but it is basically the set up from Cryocuff, very good, but expensive (though you can lease one in the UK for post op).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@midgetbiker, that's useful information.

I am in Chamonix now, where there are big snowfalls forecast for the next few days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@22 dropout, yep, and I'm flying back to the UK in the morning Sad

Still ......... driving back on thursday snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
midgetbiker wrote:
@22 dropout, Also if your in Chamonix as your sig suggests you can book to use the cryo set up at Clinique du Sport. I forget the name of the machine now but it is basically the set up from Cryocuff, very good, but expensive (though you can lease one in the UK for post op).

I think Neil has a Game ready at the clinic. They are hideously over priced. You also need to use it multiple times a day. I dont know if he rents it out but no harm in asking.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Thanks, @Jonathan Bell. that answers my question - I couldn't make half a bag of party ice in my little French freezer compartment. Though, come to think of it, there is often a world of snow just outside the terrace.....

Looking out of my window i can see a lot of grass and rain, hopefully snowing up top.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
I think Neil has a Game ready at the clinic. They are hideously over priced. You also need to use it multiple times a day. I dont know if he rents it out but no harm in asking.

Jonathan Bell

Neil? If you have time could you please PM me with further details, unless it is OK to post further here. I came back to the UK today but will be returning soon - just to listen to everyone tell me how good the fresh snow is high up!
latest report
22 dropout wrote:

Neil? If you have time could you please PM me with further details, unless it is OK to post further here. I came back to the UK today but will be returning soon - just to listen to everyone tell me how good the fresh snow is high up![/quote]

50+cm of snow yesterday at G Montet. But......rained to over 2500m. ACL rupture snow!

Jonathan Bell
latest report
Quote:

ACL rupture snow!

I remember our local ski hire guy saying much the same thing in similar conditions.
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, you've kind of quoted @22 dropout,..I think he is asking who Neil is..... wink
latest report
@holidayloverxx, thanks yes, who is Neil and how does one get hold of him?

In the same vein, I would rather avoid another ACL rupture. My appetite for icing has been well and truly satisfied. So what is about the combination of rain and snow that is to be avoided Jonathan, and is there any other combination of factors that in your experience we should be bearing in mind?
snow report
@22 dropout, Neil is the owner and chief physio at Clinique du Sport in Chx (by the Montenver station), Jonathan is right it is a Game Ready machine and he is also right that they are very expensive to buy or lease.

If you use Neil's services you will get access to the machine, I am unsure if you can book sessions on it or not in isolation from physio treatment.

Either way I would seriously recommend Neil's services, he is a top rate physio with a performance sports outlook and at a much lower price than a comparable physio in the UK.
ski holidays
link to CduS website.

http://www.lacliniquedusport.com/

If you want to see Neil call well in advance and book.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
@22 dropout, Neil is the owner and chief physio at Clinique du Sport in Chx (by the Montenver station), Jonathan is right it is a Game Ready machine and he is also right that they are very expensive to buy or lease.

If you use Neil's services you will get access to the machine, I am unsure if you can book sessions on it or not in isolation from physio treatment.

Either way I would seriously recommend Neil's services, he is a top rate physio with a performance sports outlook and at a much lower price than a comparable physio in the UK.

I agree that Neil has an excellent clinic and is himself a very good physio.
latest report
22 dropout wrote:
I also considered another one from 66fit which I have linked below. I have bought a few things from 66fit and have always been very impressed. It is a similar price, similar concept. I cannot vouch for it but one thing I like about it is you seem to be able to put larger elasticated straps around it if you have bigger legs or are using big gel packs. Well reviewed. I only mention it because last time I looked Amazon only had one of the others left and that was before midgebiker posted!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Knee-Cold-Compression-Cuff/dp/B004OWPEO2/ref=pd_cp_d_0?tag=amz07b-21

Indeed I did buy the last one and it arrived in the UK whilst I was still in Chx, now I'm back in UK it looks fit for purpose and I shall drive it to Chx tomorrow and hope I don't need to use it (but expect occasionally I shall).
snow report
Thank you all for that info and great to have a good recommendation whilst I am over here as well. The Game Ready looks like an excellent system as well, especially in the first couple of months.
latest report
@22 dropout, If you use a 'shared' cryo system post op and so have a fresh wound/scar it is worth cling filming the knee for everyone's protection.

Best of luck with the re-hab.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy