Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far do you ski in a week?

Poster: A snowHead
After a superb week in the Dolomites last week, perfecting the technique with Rob@rar and Insideout skiing, I just checked my lift pass and discovered i'd skied 210KM, which I was quite disappointed with. What's your average distance in a week?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stew72, er, sitting in assorted rifugi consuming vast quantities of food, and in the Vegas bar drinking unfeasible quantities of prosecco (if the previous week's antics were anything to go by - and that was supposed to be 'Full On', it wasn't even labelled as 'Food and Fun'!) doesn't count. But, judging by the photographs, there was no call for you to be disappointed. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't the slightest idea. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, me neither
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, maybe that's why I was disappointed. Busted!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stew72, I'd expect a week involving considerable instruction/coaching to involve quite a lot of waiting around/slow skiing/exercises, etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't feel there's any clear correlation between distance skied and level of enjoyment. Yesterday I went out for a few hours on my own. Apart from a short coffee stop (really because I needed a pee) I skied non stop and at a fair speed. No lift queues, practically empty pistes. No discussion about where to go, no chat over coffee, no stopping to regroup.

I enjoyed the morning and covered a lot of ground but would I have enjoyed it more if I'd been skiing with a friend or two, and covered less ground? Yes, probably, to be honest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Though I did have a good chat in French on one of the long chairlifts - that was a real bonus as I get too little opportunity to speak French normally.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stew72, Skiing over 20 miles a day on a course is perfectly good. How does the lift pass measure this though? If it was a GPS device yes but a lift pass can surely only tell you how far you travelled on lifts? I may be missing something. If it's correct, however, then this would be a straight line distance. Depending on the radius of the turn you will have skied a lot further than that. Someone could easily work out some kind of approximation but I would guess more than twice that distance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last trip (which was about normal) was around 175 miles of downhill, and 100 of lifts. Six day trip so close to 30 miles a day. GPS tracking by SkiTracks app.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kooky has been known to ski 137 km in a day Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarpa, yep but that wasn't "fun". I missed my beer stops Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarpa, the "Classic" Morzine based circuit is around 80km without starting too ealy, finishing too late, pushing it and allowing for various leisurely, indeed very leisurely, stops.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ if I was having fun all day, I wouldn't worry about kilometrage.

I also wouldn't worry about carrying a tracking GPS ffs Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
I also wouldn't worry about carrying a tracking GPS ffs Puzzled

tracking app can be mildly interesting looking back at the routes you've taken during the day. but each to their own ffs Happy
snow report
I couldn't be bothered to track my routes but maybe it's an age thing, @under a new name? wink
ski holidays
With the family 15 miles a day, maybe 20. With other groups anywhere up from there. Just back from Megeve where we GPS-averaged 36 miles a day but to be honest I was wrecked and not enjoying it by the last day. Too old. It turns into a job if the tour leader has KPIs to hit!
snow report
I usually look at descent rather than distance.

With kids- average day 5000m, good day 6000m epic day 7000m

With adults- depends!
snow conditions
Old phrase - but "quality not quantity"....................................

I might not bother going out for three or four days rolling eyes

And what's on the cards tomorrow looks to be very good Cool
snow report
I always end up back where I started - so 0km
snow report
A pal just returned from France and claims 53,000m of vertical descent in 6 days....which is pretty good. I do agree in quality and not quantity though and therefore if you are happy at the end of your day, then that should be good enough.
ski holidays
@mayr, 53,000m vert sounds rather unlikely to me. Unless helicopter assisted.
ski holidays
My most knackering day was a couple of years ago when on holiday with our two daughters, husbands and their children when I was conned into a mini PDS tour with one daughter in the morning and the same mini tour in the afternoon with the other daughter.

I wasn't even allowed a beer stop at lunch but I was quietly pleased to find that the PDS app had clocked me at 80k in the day. Not bad for a grandfather. Smile

This year I didn't even bother to switch the app on, just skied until it hurt and then stopped with a big smile.
latest report
53,000m / 6 = 8,833 m/day.

The Index lift in Flegere is 513m vertical and doesn't need to lead to any particular indirect descents. And is prett fast. So that would mean 17 indexes.

It's a 5 minute uplift at full chat. I'd guess 15 mins descent. Yeah, OK, maybe. 20 min round turn, earliest start, 09:30, could do it in 5hrs 40 each day non stop. No breaks. No queues.

Can't see why it would be much fun though Puzzled unless that's your thing.
ski holidays
I suppose it's only just over 4 circuits of the Grands Montets top (of top) to bottom (Argentiere) which would be quite doable.

Chapeau (if true).

I guess I hang out with folks who are a little more relaxed snowHead
latest report
pam w wrote:
maybe it's an age thing,

No, it's a man thing. They're always comparing measurements Shocked Little Angel .
snow conditions
@maggi, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I haven't the slightest idea. Little Angel

Cant you just collect the bar receipts and then use google maps to get the distance Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I carry a garmin cycling gps in my pocket and just leave it running, mainly because I like looking at maps! The data is quite interesting though. Jnr and I have managed a couple of 50+ mile days (lifts and skiing) it seems with about 8.5-9k of vertical. We usually have a couple of drink stops and lunch, we don't ski particularly fast, although we don't hang about at the top of lifts.

We do about 2-220 miles per week usually when we're not having lessons.
snow report
Deleted double post....flipping tablet.....can't delete the post in it's entirety.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 26-03-15 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Deleted treble post Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-03-15 9:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
mayr wrote:
under a new name wrote:
53,000m / 6 = 8,833 m/day.

The Index lift in Flegere is 513m vertical and doesn't need to lead to any particular indirect descents. And is prett fast. So that would mean 17 indexes.

It's a 5 minute uplift at full chat. I'd guess 15 mins descent. Yeah, OK, maybe. 20 min round turn, earliest start, 09:30, could do it in 5hrs 40 each day non stop. No breaks. No queues.

Can't see why it would be much fun though Puzzled unless that's your thing.

It's all quite likely with this chap having skied with him a couple of years ago for a week in 3V

Yeah....he doesn't stop for more than a bite to eat and all day is go go go....not my thing.

(also I believe he was by himself this time, so no one to talk to or slow him down)
ski holidays
I averaged 25k a day last week (6 days), with 20k of vertical over the week - this was usually just mornings, with a break for a drink, and not first lift, several stops to admire the scenery (aka let legs recover breaks), thankfully I'm not too bothered about clocking up miles as I was on holiday Wink
snow report
@under a new name, you're relating everything to Chamonix. It really depends where you ski and the state of the lift system as to what constitutes a big day or not.

In the 3V's I consider anything below 8,000m vertical a lazy day and 12,000m+ a strong day. La Tania to Val Thorens is over 4,000m just there and back so it's easy to rack up the vertical. Something like the 'Escapade in a day' challenge which I've completed is 15,800m vertical in 7 hours, non-stop.

I'm currently averaging 9,640m & 58km/day for the 8 days I remembered to turn it on over the last week or so and I rarely go out before 10.30am. I wouldn't expect to do anything like as much in somewhere like L2A, for instance, because the links aren't there.

@Scarpa,
Quote:
Kooky has been known to ski 137 km in a day

Sorry, don't believe that. That has to be total distance including uplift. Skiing distance is probably 75-80km based on that total figure (which is a big day). The Escapade that I mentioned above is 92km skiing distance in 7 hours flat out, so I don't believe that 137km skiing distance is physically possible in the time the lifts are open.
ski holidays
stew72 wrote:
After a superb week in the Dolomites last week, perfecting the technique with Rob@rar and Insideout skiing, I just checked my lift pass and discovered i'd skied 210KM, which I was quite disappointed with. What's your average distance in a week?

I dropped a GPS into a pocket a couple of days recently and was doing around 20 miles a day. It was quite fun to look at the tracks on a PC when I got home. I don't think I'd do it obsessively though and I think anyone using these tools to improve previous times the way runners and cyclists do is going to end up hurting themselves and possibly others e.g.

"Some riders have taken things even farther, risking personal injury to themselves and others. In 2010 a rider died after losing control while trying to set a new speed record for a descent in Tilden Park in Orinda, CA because someone had recently posted a faster time. His family sued Strava, saying the man was “obsessed” with Strava which could easily describe a lot of folks."

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/gps/the-strava-effect-on-mountain-biking/
latest report
@Raceplate, I'm only relating everything to Cham as that was easy for me.

My initial surprise was due to our group (apparently) mightily impressing the guides on a heli week when we managed 40,000m in 6 days. Given that those weeks are pretty full on - 08.30-17.00 and 45 mins for lunch, continuous skiing otherwise (one half day "down") - but skiing powder which is slower - and we had 2 fast groups in our heli - so many different variables.

So I thought I'd compare to somewhere like Cham, which tends to have relatively direct descents. Adn calcs for either the Index or the Grands Montets top to bottom are easy to do. As opposed to the PDS where you'd likely cover more ground but less vertical - and I'd have had to do more sums.

Also, I'm considering the "average" skier" (whatever that is) who isn't skiing that hard nor fast.

Oh, and the classic PDS circuit as started/finished in Morzine certainly was reputed to be ~80km back when I was hosting (think 203cm SLs) and we'd comfortably do it with fast guests in a half day (assuming the buses didn't go on strike/fag break/whatever) and no detours requested.
snow conditions
Quote:

His family sued Strava, saying the man was “obsessed” with Strava

rolling eyes
snow report
^

I'm considering suing Pringles.

People are obsessed with Strava though. There's around 1200 cyclists with recorded times going past my house (just a country lane). Of whom, yes, I am one. The person who "turned me on" to Strava has now stopped using it. He says it stopped him looking at the views and enjoying the countryside.
ski holidays
Quote:

He says it stopped him looking at the views and enjoying the countryside.

Voila! When I ski, looking at the views is a key part of my day. People are obsessed with all sorts of things, but whose fault is that?

Quote:

I'm considering suing Pringles

not keen on Pringles. Might sue Kettle Chips though.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Kooky has been known to ski 137 km in a day Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah, but getting her ski poles caught in the boot before she'd taken her skis off, and then you driving off to Munich doesn't really count does it Scarpa ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy