Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft Shell Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, can anyone recommend a Reasonably priced Soft shell hoodie. Must be warm (bloods a bit thin)
North face Valkrie? or arcteryx?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you don't really want a shell then? Shells are by definition uninsulated (though some shell seem to have a lining) , you add layers underneath for warmth.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@anarchicsaltire, loads of soft shells are fleece lined or similar?

@fuego, I have this, which I'm very attached to for both hiking and skiing - it seems to strike the perfect balance between warmth and breathability and is comfortable across a wide temperature range. I got it half price on Sport Pursuit a few months back.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/haglofs-womens-gecko-hood-jacket-25220435
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a cup of coffee and have a read of this thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/271303-Cheap-softshells-is-there-an-actual-technology-or-performance-difference

There's loads of good info.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I´ve only worn my proper mountaineering/skiing goretex jacket once since I got a Dare2B soft-shell jacket for Xmas. I´ve been highly impressed with it's performance and it has stood up to almost three months constant skiing plus several bangs from branches while forest skiing. Still only needed a thin base layer underneath it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am not too sure what you do understand by reasonably priced. According to your description I would think an Arcteryx Epsilon might well fit the bill. Versatile, durable and a good fit.
The Teton gravity link is excellent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fuego, what you want it a Montane extreme jacket... it's essentially Montane's take on the classic pile and pertex system. Its extremely warm and retains all the benefits of a softshell.... simple Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tomb, But far too warm for almost all skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tomb, I still have my old Buffalo mountain shirt. I wore it as a mid layer in Canada around -15C on my first ever days skiing and had to take it off after the first hour as I was sweating so much. Pertex and pile is still amazing for winter climbing though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fuego, look no further than Arc'teryx

Lined or Unlined

I cant recommend these products highly enough Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, @Scarpa, I agree it's very warm and again is too warm for me.... He did however mention that he was after something warm..... its possible that the OP is not a hugely energetic skier and doesn't build up the body heat of others Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just my opinion so please don't shoot me however -

Forget the ski brands and go for a decent UK mountaineering label - I bought the Rab Baltoro Alpine softshell after suffering years of sweaty TNF insulated and so called 'breathable' hardshells. This particular jacket has a grid lined wicking fleece built in (which is the perfect compromise IMHO if you don't want to layer up/down all day) however if you buy the Rab Exodus its pretty much the same jacket minus the lining . . . .this is also specifically designed for ski touring so has pit zips, however both jackets are that breathable you wont need them . . .

I found this jacket warm on the chairlift (up to -10) and perfect when working hard on the way down . . .the sweat is literally removed from your body and you stay warm and dry.
Fit is 'Alpine' so a bit slimmer than your normal ski variants which IMO looks better providing you're not packing a beer gut - another advantages are the hood, which zips up above your nose creating a perfect face mask at the front, whilst being big enough to easily fit over any helmet. Also the arms are a slightly longer cut (to allow for people clambering up mountains and not getting cold wrists) but for skiing this allows gloves to be tucked in (if like me that's your thang) . . .

Rab Baltoro Alpine jkt ranges from £140
Rab Exodus jkt from £80 in the Go Outdoors sale

Alternatively try the Mountain Equipment Vulcan softshell - £140 . . another UK brand with a great rep
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Belch, I swear by the Mountain Equipment and Rab kit too. My ME hardshell is kept for really stormy days and for climbing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
. . .also loving Mountain Equipment . . .have their Guide Gloves for skiing and Lightline Down jacket for superfreezing cold skiing and après chique . .!
ski holidays
Got a couple of berghaus cristallo soft shells which perform really well when not a full-clag day with heavy precip. You can still get them if you search online, and for under£100. Otherwise heavy duty wear is paramo anology or a standard hard shell.

Can't beat soft shell for comfort though on a mild February-April day
Very Happy
snow conditions
Some stonking good soft shells here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301951528303

Great value too. More info:

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Personal-Protective-Equipment/STIHL-HIFLEX-Forestry-work-clothing/21513-1542/HIFLEX-Jacket.aspx
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/QgaRd4d8hOY
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy