Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on a few Italian resorts from anyone that's been?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Season's greetings to you all... looks like snow again at last in the areas needing it! Helen will be a happy bunny, I'm sure...

Looking at various places for next Easter (Sat 8th - 15th April or Sun 9th - 16th) (even PG's area in BSM for Les Arcs - although this is sadly looking unlikely due to flight costs now). We are also prepared to drive if we need to though, which would bring PG's neck of the woods back as a possibility.

Our limitations are: transport to the country, transfer to the resort, non-skier activities and, most importantly, cost!

Before I go any further - a note to those who read this group and have "commercial interests" ...
I appreciate that some of you on here with interests in various alpine properties have offered me accommodation in response to posts I've already made, but what you have to appreciate is that I (and my group of 16-ish people) are dead set against spending vast amounts of money on things like catered chalets, half & full board hotels and the like! I appreciate your offers, really I do, but we are "practical people" who would rather spend the bare minimum on accommodation (as long as it's clean and relatively comfortable) and have the freedom to have meals when & where we want! We actually like apartments (yes, even the small French ones!) and don't want the (supposed!) luxuries of having someone else do everything for us, thanks!

We also object to the prices of lift passes at some of the mega-resorts (stand up Val Thorens & Tignes/Val D'Isere!) especially as much of the domain we are supposedly paying to ski on is unavailable to us at the times of year we are able to go... The perfect solution for us is usually one of the tourist office special accommodation & liftpass combined deals. These often cost little more than the liftpass itself would cost. Sadly, they're not always available...

Anyway, enough whinging. I am perfectly happy for anyone with a commercial interest to offer me accommodation, but please bear in mind the points I have raised above if you do so!

So far, the likely options for us are Passo Tonale, Cervinia, Sestriere & Livigno due to flight availability (Milan Bergamo or Verona/Brescia are our flight options, it would appear). Livigno is a bit of a hike, Cervinia & Sestriere are wrong areas for Milan/Brescia flights (and are probably a bit pricey) whereas Passo Tonale has a decent amount of piste available at a competitive lift pass price, plus it has the glacier and high altitude skiing that we'll need at that time of year. I know that several people from lower fremch resorts have contacted me and said, "oh, we're ususally fine in April" but that's the kicker... "usually" doesn't cut it when, like last year in Serre Che where it's "usually" fine until May, we had very little available to us due to appalling snow conditions!

So... anyone have anything to suggest on the likely options? Passo Tonale looks like our best bet... but maybe someone has experience that suggests otherwise?

Thanks for any input... sorry to have posted all the provisos above, but I felt it necessary to avoid any unsuitable commercial contacts!

Cheers,
Carl
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Carl,

I've been to La Thuile and Livigno and we're off to Passo Tonale on the 7th of Jan. If you can wait, I'll give you an unbiased comparison of all three once we get back.

Cheers,

Clive
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled,

Hi,

We have been to Livigno once, and although there is a lengthy transfer it is well worth it. Good amount of intermediate ski-ing, excellent lift system and above all an excellent snow record.

We have been to Passo Tonale once before and are going again on 28th January as we liked it so much. Much less of a transfer, excellent lift system, not just as much ski-ing as livigno, but if conditions are good you can ski down to Pontidiligno (1200m). The bars and restaurants in Passo Tonale are better value than Livigno although there isn't as much choice.

This will be my 11th week ski-ing and although Passo ain't the biggest resort I am attracted back again by its: Easy Transfer, Good Snow record and altitude, excellent lift system, long runs, good value food and drink.

I think you would be happy in Livigno or Tonale. If you want to know anything more just ask.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, Hi, I have skied Cervinia, Livigno, Bormio, Santa Caterina, La Thuile. Cervinia has a large cruisey ski area, and lots of hotels. There is an apartment complex a way out of the centre. Bormio has steeper skiing and is close to Santa Caterina which has gentler slopes, quite friendly for novices. Hotels mostly again. Livigno is a long spread out valley with skiing on both sides, medium difficulty terrain, lots of small hotels and small apartment buildings. La Thuile is linked to La Rosiere in France and has good cruising terrain, plus the potential for heli-skiing on the Italian side. Big apartment and hotel complex at the foot of the slopes.
If you fancy Les Arcs, then you may want to consider the board arrangements at a holiday complex, which I believe is called La Renouveau. (spelling). It is a big, budget place and the whole of your party could be accommodated there. PG has used it in the past for big groups, and says the food is good. If you think it could be of interest, you could PM him for contact details.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ahve been to La Thuile and Livigno, personally hated Livigno, boring place and boring skiing, liked Thuille good skiing and you can ski in France and Italy. plus the area has a very good snow record it is a unique place on the lee side of Mont Blanc,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pazpalmer,

Really can't see why you found Livigno boring, unless you are used to serious off piste or extreme skiing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pazpalmer, I'll echo johnboy, Livigno's got enough piste for a week and they've cut some new blacks down from Monta della Neve. Now they've re-opened the off-piste (with a guide), there's some incredible skiing to be had. If all you're after is racking up piste numbers like 'Munros' then fine, it's not what you're looking for . . . but then, neither are a thousand other resorts.
The last time I gazed in awe at Mt Blanc from the Fort in La Roz I was SSW of it and as sure as the Devil's gonna have my jewels for earrings that's not any sort of "lee".
There are two more reasons why Livigno's on the go to list. The food/craic is bloody good and the prices! It's tax free and for that you can find some seriously good deals for a big range of products . . liquor is crazy cheap Shocked

It's worth a week of anyone's time and if it's too downmarket for you then you don't have to go back. The real downside is the 5+hr transfer from Bergamo.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers all. Must say from the early feedback that Tonale is sounding like the place to go. Livigno is tempting, but I just don't want to put the group through the huge transfer. I once did Lyon to Risoul at 5 and a half hours or so... never again! Shame I can't go a week earlier as the lift pass is free!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at Madonna di Campiglio (maybe beyond your budget) or its much cheaper neighbour Folgarida both about 2 hours from Verona. I skiied in Madonna first week of April about 4 years ago and had a great time. They often get good late snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I share your ethos towards value for money skiing, Carled.

Madesimo is small but perfectly formed, just head north from Bergamo.
Wine was 1 Euro a glass in our hotel in 2003.

Foppolo is on the same road but closer - no longer in teh TO brochures.

Bormio is a good bet but longer transfer, c 3 hrs.

Must say, Passo Tonale is the least fave of my Italian experiences, not helped as we went in March and the sun melted the slopes by noon, most of which were spread side by side across the side of one mountain (excellent for absolute novices but lacking a sense of isolation and exploration.)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, now you see that's one of the things worrying me... Looking at the piste maps it is a bit lumped on one side... Allegedly 80km of piste, but in poor snow conditions, there will be far less than that. Although, as I keep harping on about, we only had 20% of Serre Che available to us last year and still managed to have fun despite it being slush & crud. It'd be nice to have good snow, but it's in the lap of the gods by then, isn't it?

Trouble is, there is very little guaranteed snow at that time of year, isn't there? Anywhere we go is completely down to good fortune as to whether the conditions will be good or not and we know that, we're not expecting pristine snow and can cope quite happily with slush! T-Dub, the other resorts you mention are all quite a bit lowere though, aren't they? If Passo is struggling, then they're going to be struggling equally as much, so surely it makes sense to head as high as poss and, at the very worst, Passo has the glacier.

The only real alternative is to look at the high French resorts, but then we're back to mega lift pass prices and we still can't guarantee snow!

Oh, for a reliable long-range weather forecast...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, there are high French resorts that don't charge an arm and a leg, check out La Rosiere, 150 Euros for 6 days for france and Italy. At 1850metres it's also very snow sure.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled,

Looking at the piste map it does look a bit boring, but the best ski-ing is up the 2 valleys up either side of the mountain, there are some really nice long cruisey runs back to the resort.

My experience of Tonale was in January 2002. There was a severe snow drought in the Italian Alps that year. For 5 of the 6 days we skied on artifical with grass either side of the runs. Probably only half open. But we still had an excellent time and that is why I am going back.

Snow conditions are really luck as in 2001 Tonale had a base of over 3m at the top in January!!!

Still would consider Livigno though as the transfer is only a small part of the whole experience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok I think you are looking at this from the wrong end, you need to get cheap flights first and then pick a resort. Also some transfers cost a fortune. Ar Easter you obviously need to be high, without doubt the resorts that have guarenteed snow over the past 10 years have been the high resorts in France, where you can totally guatantee snow, they also offer cheap apartments. Have skied most areas in Europe so if you sort the flights out then I and others can probably reccomend the resorts. Yoy need to look at the overall price and not just lift pass also the longer you wait to book the flights the more they will cost.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pazpalmer, you're only partially correct, I'm afraid. Little point in booking cheap flights to an airport from where the nearest snowsure resort is 5 hours transfer away, is there? It's a delicate balancing act between the right airport and the right group of potential resorts. There's also little point in booking Saturday flights if the accommodation runs Sunday - Sunday, is there? Or even vice-versa!

I appreciate your help on this, but trust me, I'm a long, long way from being a greenhorn in this field! Have been doing DIY hols for about 7 years now and my personal fave was the £197 per person for a week in Isola 2000 4 years ago including return flights to Nice, transfer to resort, 6 day ski pass, accommodation AND insurance...

David@traxvax, wondered when you'd show up! How easily can you put up 14-16 people from 8th/9th - 15th/16th April then?
snow conditions
Passo Tonale is relatively high - the problems I experienced were due to the orientation of the main slope being in full blast of the March sun. The lower area Pontidiligno - was not in operation, although the glacier area was.

Others to throw into the pot are Saux D'Oulx and Sestriere - an autostrada runs right along the valley they are spurred off making the transfer from Turin relatively rapid. Plenty of skiing on and between the two, and relatively good value.
snow report
Cervinia is certainly snow sure, the web cams showed people skiing right up to June last year. It's so high that even if it doesn't snow from end of January onwards there is still plenty to ski on. There is the benefit of the glacier, and Zermatt on the other side of the Matterhorn. Lots of runs, though not much variety in scenery at that altitude, and the resort is set below the start of the lift system, so there are steps everywhere to get to the lifts at the start of the day. Food and drink is of average cost, a few restaurants in town, plus pizza places, and lots of good mountain eateries. Airports – Geneva 2 hours, Turin 2 hours, and easy to get to buy road. You can book hotels, B&B’s etc. direct through their tourist office, but don’t know about budget airlines to that area. I’ve been 3 times (should have gone elsewhere on the 3rd trip though, there needs to be more than just snow for us) but you cannot knock it for snow sureness!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy