Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgarian skiing reborn: 'The Independent' checks out Bansko

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Stephen Wood of 'The Independent' has made an early-season dash to the ultra-modern ski area of Bansko, which is revitalising interest in Bulgarian skiing.

Here's his report, which includes comparisons with Andorra's appeal for the budget-conscious.

Anyone like to add any comments on Bansko's skiing and facilities?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of weeks ago I met a British couple who have bought an apartment in Bansko. They seemed happy so far. Also, I must say that Marc Girardelli, who was helping market Bansko at the Ski Show, is a sly old fox and would certainly not have got involved if it was totally cr@p...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The thing that puts me off Bulgaria (and in fact most of Eastern Europe) is the extent of the pistes. Personally if I'm going somewhere for a week I want a good range of pistes that will keep me interested for the duration...

Having said that I have never been there so I may be being unfair. Any Bulgaria (or Serbia/Slovenia) fans want to comment?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are probably right Civilserpent,
but some other have different opinion. It is not only about costs of living and pistes. If you want easy skiing and eating in restaurants you don't need to spend money on extent of the pistes.
If you want luxury accommodation and spa you can also find it in Bansko.
For the off piste riders is a great choise because the culoirs starts at the top of the ski station and if you like to have a walk above you can find great large terrains to ski free. You can hire a guide and have long days of free ride just for you. There is also heli skiing available for groups if booked in advanced.

It deserves time and money if you choose the right time in the season, out of the main vacations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was at the travel show in Glasgow last weekend and took home a brochure and DVD about Bansko and it looks really good. I think its quite high too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The town of Bansko where the Gondola begins is at 960m .
The upper Gondola station is at 1600m.
The top lift station is at 2600m.
The altitude of Todorka peak is 2913 m.
Have a look at www.banskotravel.com for more information.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Went to Bansko 2/3 years ago , for my limited money it's the best of the "balkan" package destinations . The town is a working (farming ? ) community and there may understandably be a desire to share in the cash generated by the considerable new investment in ski lifts and new hotels . I found everyone to be friendly and pleased to talk to the Brits .The skiing was fine for me , an old and committed intermediate , and the mostly tree-lined pistes were well groomed and served by modern Austrian lifts . The town is not high so you might not be able to ski back although if it's cold enough there now could be cannons to cover the last kms. True , it's not that big because there are no other resorts to link to , I thought it was fine for a week unless you are used to skiing a new area every day. The food was good , there are several restaurants in town some small and friendly with a limited menue , others bigger with old beams , wandering musicians and "traditional" trappings . Beer , wine , vodka and Bulgarian brandy were cheap , small shops for best bargains . The transfer is a dull , Sofia or Plovdiv , there are independant hotels and apartments in and around Bansko but no really cheap flights as far as i know . You can get a private transfer , ok if you can share. Snow record is good , there was plenty when I went in Jan.
Bill
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is a pretty descent vertical drop
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a whole host of information on the www.banskoholidayrentals.com website regarding resort facilities, images, webcam link etc... (as well as the obvious apartments for rent as the name suggests).

I could replicate the information here but I guess you're better off just checking it out for yourself. See the left hand nav links for the resort specific info.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Snowmobill, your review is very helpful. There is a ski road running from the slopes to the town all covered with snow canions.
The ski road is perfect for the second day skiers. Last year we had plenty of snow and it was possible to ski down to the mid March.
Check www.banskotravel.com if you want to have the information from the source.
Greetings
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get the impression Eastern Europe would be fantastic with some concerted investment in lifts and an attempt at opening up new areas. Is it me or has Bansko's piste area grown this year?

I think the way to go is the Andorran method that has been employed at Soldeu and Pas de la Casa. People get attracted by big areas and good hotels at decent prices. I think if that can be achieved in places like Bansko then Bulgaria could see a significant increase in visitors. Bottom line I don't think being known as the cheap option is beneficial in the long run.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Civilserpent wrote:
I think the way to go is the Andorran method that has been employed at Soldeu and Pas de la Casa.

Aggh, I can't think of much worse than the Andorran example on the level of the environment and esthetiques.

I note that eastern Europe including Serbia are where the vanishing French skiers are heading too as they are slowly getting priced out of their own country (according to a Figaro article).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm looking at maybe buyng an off-plan apartment in Bansko but can't decide as I'm unsure what percentage of occupancy I can realistically expect for year (winter & summer). Anyone done this? If so, has it been a good investment? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nwindsor, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I dont know about you guys but I don't want massive Ski aeas, I just get lost! Pamporovo was really enjoyable - 4 days boarding - complete beginner and 2 days skiing (I'm a much better skier than boarder)Not many difficult runs but then I want to enjoy myself, not scare myself. I'm going boarding to Bansko this year. For a holiday, not a fright.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy