Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian skiing - 27 March - not a clue..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am trying to book a weekend of skiing from 27 March (or 26 even), but, as the title suggests, I don't have a clue!

Would be looking for somewhere for beginners, and with a nice sauna area and maybe some trekking.

If I go on the 26th, I'll be on my own for the first night, so something social would be great.

The closer to Vienna the better, as I want to visit afterwards.

I know that's a big wishlist, especially so last minute, but... it's my birthday. Laughing (Also, I'm crap at organising.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowduck, can't help with Austrian destinations but someone who can will be along soon. Near Vienna might be a bit of a challenge. But welcome to Snowheads and - happy birthday! snowHead

When you say trekking, you mean hill walking? No skis? Ever tried snowshoes - lots of resorts put on guided walks on snowshoes.

How many people?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Pam. Thanks! It's one of the big ones (birthdays that is), so I want to make some impact on the auld bucket list. I've wanted to go skiing for ages, but never had the chance before.

Yep - I was thinking of hill walking to get some scenery. I've never tried snowshoes, but I'd be certainly willing to!

There's just going to be two of us.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've never tried snowshoes, but I'd be certainly willing to!

It's not difficult, snowshoes are cheap to hire and will strap to any stout walking boots. You usually use long poles too (up to armpit is best, like cross country poles - longer than ski poles). Thing is, at this time of year, many nice mountain walks will have quite a bit of snow underfoot (depending on aspect and altitude). You can take them off and strap to a backpack if you come across big stretches of bare ground. But snow shoers can get avalanched just like skiers so it's good to get some local advice - some of our snowshoe tracks (France) were closed for some weeks last season because of avalanche risk.

If you're a beginner skier be sure to get advice on ski instruction - timing of lessons might interfere a bit with the hiking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As said, close to Vienna could be tricky. How are you intending to get to Vienna? Public transport is good in Austria and there are trains direct from places such as St Anton, Landeck (bus to iscgl) and IIRC Jenbach (Ziller Valley) so easy to get to. Ziller valley might be a good place being lower the valley floor should be clear of snow and there are some nice walks along that, with the skiing being accessed by gondola higher up the valley sides.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Schladming is the best option, forget anywhere in Tirol as it makes getting to Vienna more difficult due to times. Trains to and from Vienna directly to Schladming make life a lot easier. Skiing is good loads of open areas and it is currently extremely quiet in Salzburgerland and points east.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TBH, depending on where in Tirol you are, there's not much difference in time on the train compared to Schladming (Jenbach is about 4 hours). There's also the night train which can be useful for eating up distance whilst sleeping. Of course depends on whether the OP is planning on public transport or not, and where they are flying in to.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy