Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making an apartment accessible

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I am in the early planning stages of an apartment renovation project and am interested to know how I could make the apartment accessible for disabled visitors. The apartment is in Montriond,France. There is plenty of parking outside and the apartment is on the ground floor so access for the less mobile should be easy enough. I have downloaded some guidelines for widths of doors, corridors, etc. and should be able to meet them.

What bathroom facilities would you like? Accessible shower with fold-down seat? Walk-in bath? Normal bath with a transfer seat at one end? Other?

What facilities are needed to aid transfer to bed? Single bed, double bed?

Any suggestions for disabilities other than limited mobility?

Any suggestions are welcome! If you prefer you can send suggestions to me at info@morzinesnow.com
Regards
Nevil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it depends a bit on the level of disability. For my 90 year old Aunt who has a blue badge largely due to age related problems, unable to walk much, unable to cope with many stairs, breathing issues etc when she has come to the Alps with us I have always booked ski accommodation with a walk in shower en suite for her (she prefers it if there is a fold down seat too because standing for any length of time is an issue) and a double bed with plenty of space around it (no sharp bed end corners etc) because that is her preference. For someone with more severe disabilities I have no experience to comment on.

She also likes tea/coffee making facilities in her bedroom, with a quiet mini fridge to keep milk cool being better than those mini uht cartons, etc, all preferably accessible at a desk/dressing table that she can sit at to make the drinks. It gives her the independence to make herself a drink at odd times of day or night. If you are able to provide such things,the bathroom taps need to be set so that the kettle can fit easily under them.

The things I mention in relation to drink facilities in a bedroom would also apply to a kitchen if the disabled person would want to use them, height of work units/ appliances for wheelchair users, type of tap turn on for those with dodgy hands etc

You may need carving knives with special handles, plug sockets/light switches set half way up walls instead of in their more usual positions and numerous other adaptations. Hopefully someone will be along with more experience than me.

Well done for organising such accommodation, I have struggled to find suitable places for us!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MontriondSkier, Visit Britain requires registered UK accommodation to provide access statements , perhaps looking at some of these would help you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This link might help http://www.openbritain.net/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the problem you have is disability is so wide ranging there is only so much you can do. Wet rooms with grab rails and a shower chair. Grab rails for toilets. Doors that arent too narrow (if you go to narrow you will get paint scrapes from wheelchairs. Space to manouvre a wheelchair. Think about where your switches are, taps. For my daugher normal bath with transfer seat.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a wheelchair using friend visit a couple of weeks ago and he only reported two problems in the house which is supposed to be set up for wheelchair users. One was that the mirrors were too high for him to use. He also cut his finger on a sharp edge of the bath (which he preferred to use rather than the shower).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

One was that the mirrors were too high for him to use.

that's often the case even for short people. My shortish daughter often finds mirrors too high and she's higher than a wheelchair user. She also finds that shower holders are often far too high - it's essential that everybody can shower without getting their hair wet, if that's what they want. The fashion for high fixed overhead showers which cannot be "hand held" to wash the soap out of the bum and which get your hair wet whether you want it or not is particularly odd.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@espri, yes your place was perfect Eric Happy

Nevil, I'm a Paraplegic Sitskier, I've no feeling below chest , I'd be happy to give any advise you need.

Nick
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy