Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding with a back spasm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one - I'm currently in the middle of an examiners course and a completely innocent little save on piste today caused my back to seize up to the point where it took my five minutes to stand up again. Didn't even fall over when I hurt myself - but had to go to the floor instantly afterwards with the pain.

I've seen a physio this evening who's done some soft tissue work and taped it up - it feels very secure now. She's given me a couple of exercises and advised a hot shower and rest. I'm well stocked up with ibuprofen and paracetamol.

I obviously need to ride the last 3 days of this course. Does anyone have any advice that goes beyond the above?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have or can borrow a spine protector put it on immediately over base layer and tighten more than usual. Acts as a kind of brace. Got me through a couple of weeks of tough skiing after a bad fall.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jiagedaping wrote:
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one - I'm currently in the middle of an examiners course and a completely innocent little save on piste today caused my back to seize up to the point where it took my five minutes to stand up again. Didn't even fall over when I hurt myself - but had to go to the floor instantly afterwards with the pain.

I've seen a physio this evening who's done some soft tissue work and taped it up - it feels very secure now. She's given me a couple of exercises and advised a hot shower and rest. I'm well stocked up with ibuprofen and paracetamol.

I obviously need to ride the last 3 days of this course. Does anyone have any advice that goes beyond the above?

Your key to success is going to be pain control. as soon as the spine starts to hurt you will lose your trunk control which will aggravate the problem.

Continue with the medication and a support as a very temporary measure is not a bad idea.

As soon as you can get it looked at by physio

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 19-03-15 7:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From my experience of a prolapsed disc, then I'd suggest stro
ng NSAIDs to reduce pain and get you moving again. Movement is your friend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can confirm that the best solution to this problem is Feminax.

It is always worth trying L&M, but the actual solution is Feminax, which basically seems to be Naproxen. That is good stuff. Especially with a bottle or two of wine. A friend had a much more major back problem than mine and was on Naproxen, and after a day of rest and a good back support I was skiing again the day after with this.

I didn't fall over either, just got to the bottom of a run and was immediately in substantial pain that stopped me from moving hardly at all. Went to see the (14 year old) doctor in Tignes who promptly insisted I take all my clothes off, then asked me if I had a fever (clearly my French wasn't as good as I thought, but it was just chuffing hot in there, especially with a fully dressed 14 year old girl poking at me) and then carried out a range of tests that proved there was absolutely nothing wrong with me whatsoever. Medicine, a dark art indeed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha - good story! In the end everything went well and I passed - didn't go with a brace but did get some very good drugs. I'll bear some of these in mind for if it happens again! Thanks all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy