Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot sole grinding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

On a new pair of Lange plug boots (ZA), there are dire looking warnings about the sole not meeting ISO standards and needing grinding.

However, the shop did not mention this during fitting and just adjusted the bindings. They equip a regional ski team every year so presumably know what they are doing.

The standard says 18 mm height at the front and 30 mm at the back, and I measure about these values. It is a little difficult as the edge is chamfered on the sole and I am not sure where exactly to measure.

Anyway, satisfy my curiousity! And/or prevent catastrophic binding release, you know, the usual sort of things...

cheers,

J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck, keep us posted.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here ya go:

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks pretty much OK compared to the above. I would frankly be amazed as well if a company would ship a boot which would be unsafe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JamesHJ, which flex is it? is it ZA or ZA+ Lange pre grind some of them and leave the others full (full in this instance is 5mm thicker than it should be) for purposes of canting and stance set up, this is standard practise on proper race boots.... if you are unsure of the flex then look at the boot from front or rear, does it look like someone has sanded a small band or material just above the toe/heel lugs, if it does then they are good to go, if not or you are unsure then it needs to be checked.

it is not about shipping a boot which is unsafe, it is about the store who provided them knowing about it... there was a load of atomic race dept boots being sold by a shop/on line about 5 years back all of which had the oversize sole and the shop were oblivious to it

where are you based? right now from what i know, there are two places in the UK where you can have the boot cut back to ISO standard if required, 1 is Alain Baxter sports in Stirling, the other is myself Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the reply @CEM, I realised last night that there was a sanded area on the top of the lugs and that they must have done it in the shop before we arrived. They just didn't take the stickers off.

The shop is Gozzi sport 200 in Voiron, who equip the Voiron Ski Montagne club. Highly recommended in the Grenoble area. If you join the club then these boots (ZA) are only €360 due to sponsorship by Rossignol (mrp €559). I reckon most clubs must have similar deals and nobody in France is paying full whack for racing gear.

wrt to ordering race boots online... just... wow...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JamesHJ, There is a Rossignol deal on race boots in the UK too.

I buy my race boots online from Ultrafun, the next pair will need to go to CEM to get the soles ground though..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there is a deal on all race boots for the right people via different sources Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy