Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report - Les Balcons Belle Plagne with Crystal Ski 7-14 March 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We booked this back in November 2014 when there was no snow and everyone was panicking snowHead So we decided to go high-ish and give the snow time to build up but not leave it too late so it had disappeared.

We also wanted to avoid half term across Europe (thanks to advice on here) so booked for the week beginning 7 March (as it was a bit cheaper than the previous week)

We also had a couple of novices with us so we wanted somewhere close to the ski school and also we wanted a ski in / ski out location so we weren't dragging out skis everywhere.

We also wanted a hosted chalet to keep the food and drink costs down <hic>

We found Les Balcons by a process of elimination, hadn't been to La Plagne before but decided to take the plunge and give it a go.

Travel Out

Flew direct to Geneva, then had a bus transfer to the resort (which should have taken three hours).

Our flight was perfect and on time... but then we spent about an hour and a half at Geneva airport waiting for other flights (two of which were delayed) before the various coaches were ready to set off.

Ordered our ski passes off Crystal whilst we were waiting and it was sunny anyway so wasn't too much of an imposition.

The bus was less than half full so plenty of room to spread out. We drove to Moutiers where we had to change into a minibus Sad for the final leg of the journey up to La Plagne, which meant another hour wait for another group to arrive and then 13 of us were crammed into a mini-bus with all our bags split between the back seat and the back door.

It should have only been an hour at most to drop everyone one off, but our driver missed picking up the Crystal reps (drove past them in La Plagne), then got lost (in La Plagne Puzzled ) so we had to double back, then got stuck in a tight carpark rolling eyes so it took us a couple of hours, but we were all in good humour when we arrived. Laughing

Don't blame Crystal for the flight delays, but was disappointed that we had to wait around and change into a mini-bus and then got a nervous driver who didn't know the way - when she completely opened the map up at the first roundabout we knew something was wrong! Laughing and she was clearly new to this as she kept stalling the bus, but we helped her along and it wasn't too bad as everyone was in a good mood (mostly).

So arrived in the chalet around 8ish instead of 4ish, so no time to pick up the skis but it was nice to meet the other chalet guests and have a few drinks.

Chalet

Great location in Belle Plagne, truly ski in / ski out - exiting the ski locker room onto the Arpette (I think) slope down to the lifts at Plagne BelleCote, and using the same route or the tunnel run back down from Roche de Mio to ski back into the locker room again - we then took the lift up one floor to our room (or took the stairs if we couldn't be bothered waiting for the lift).

You could even ski through the village from the other side to get to the slopes so great location if you can't be bothered carrying skis.

The Chalet also had access to the gym (where the ladies of our chalet decided to turn into a Yoga room each evening), the pool, sauna and Jacuzzi, which were all of a good size and it was never really packed even of an evening (but got busier after 5pm as everyone came back fromt he slopes).

The chalet itself was ok, bit tired and a bit smaller than some chalets we've stayed in, but each room had its own Jacuzzi bath (which I made use of each night), and most rooms had a good view and there was a balcony window in the lounge which overlooked Plagne Bellecote.

Internet access was woeful, with most of us giving up trying after the first day.

Chalet Hosts

All young but all helpful and the food was good for breakfast, afternoon cake and dinner. The hosts would even make us all a sandwich (if we asked for it) for our lunch on the mountains.

They probably stayed out too late at night on a few occasions (as I did when I was younger) but never missed breakfast even if they looked a bit rough and the beds were always made and rooms tidied each day.

Chalet wine was free flowing until the hosts left when the wine boxes were locked away, however it wasn't much of a lock and we got through far too much of the red wine every night, so it wasn't just the chalet hosts who had the occasional hangover Mr. Green .

Resort facilities

Belle Plagne has enough ski hire shops for everyone (big shout out to El Pro), and quite a few bars and restaurants and obviously there were loads of others scattered about the resort and mountain. Prices were generally ok, with some being more expensive than others. Only had one problem with "typical Parisian" service (who fail to notice you if you are not French) but most were great.

Loads of non-ski activities at the resort, such as paragliding, bobsleigh, luge, sledging, zip wire, etc, but as the skiing was excellent most of us didn't bother with these.

Loads of ski schools and a big shout out to Oxygene who were great for our novices (and me!) Smile

Pistes and access

Loved the way the pistes link up at La Plagne, you could ski all day across a wide area before heading home. We loved it. We had bought all area passes but ended up not using them, mainly because the route down to Les Arc was so low and when we were going to use it later in the week we were told the lower pistes had deteriorated on La Plagne side (and possibly on Les Arc side) so we weren't too fussed really - probably should have tried, but as most of the slopes were not busy, we just didn't feel the need to head down and then back up again on the other side.

La Plagne had had loads of snow in the few weeks leading up to our arrival, and then had glorious sunshine the whole week we were there with no wind to speak of.

the Snow was great for most of the week, but with no new snow and the warm temperature it was getting heavy in the evenings by the middle of the week and icy in the mornings as the snow lost it structure, but was good for most of the day between 9-3 and it surprising picked up again at the end of the week as it got colder.

Travel Home

Trip home was all on done on one coach this time, but we left early to pick up others at Moutiers - big coach all the way, lots of room but it was an early depart (6:30am) for a 2pm flight, so we were checked in and through security by 11am, but better early than late I guess.

The security queue was fast and no problems going through.

Home on time and feeling great.

Summary

Overall a great holiday - great skiing and great weather, met some wonderful people and thought La Plagne was a great resort in so many ways - I'll try to post some pics soon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cracking TR@Sack the Juggler.

Glad you had a good time

(I too have had to wait for 1-2 hours to oeVe the airport with crystal Mad Mad Mad )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great report! We went with Crystal to Plagne 1800 a few years ago and noticed the whole minibus at Moutiers thing too - thankfully we got to stay on the bus as we had three small children and associated luggage with us and the thought of shifting it all across yet again did not appeal. Like you we had an area pass and then never used it - I think I was a bit afraid of getting trapped and unable to get back to pick the children up in time!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Twice went to La Plagne from Geneva with Crystal, transfers took 5 and 7 hours respectively. Enough to put you off. Another DIY trip took 2.5 hrs in a taxi.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NJ, we did exactly the same. First time good, late flight so managed some more skiing before our transfer back. 2nd time, flew to Chambery, waited hours on the way out. Return flight delayed by many hours. It did put us off.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy