Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d’Isere trip with Crystal Ski review – report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Visited Val d'Isere in first week of March with Crystal Ski.

Transfer

I must be cursed. Having faced the New Year chaos at Chambery I found myself stuck on a 10 hour bus journey thanks to a rather large boulder blocking the Val T road. However, flight, Crystal organisation and communication was all good. We have no complaints regarding this and I am amazed at people criticising TOs for delays due to the boulder.

Accommodation

Stayed in Chalet Marsala in Val d’Isere town. We paid a budget price and I have to say you get what you pay for. Basic rooms and the bathroom stunk of damp with no window or extractor. The dining room is cramped, food was average, and the chalet hosts were slouchy teenagers (except for Ryan who was without doubt the best employee there).
All that said, it was worth the money we paid so I am not whinging, but rather giving an honest review for potential guests. We were 3 men looking for cheap and cheerful skiing accommodation and that is what we got.

The chalet is about 10 mins walk from the ski lifts. I hired my gear from Snowberry and left my skis and boots there each night to save walking in the boots. There is a free bus that runs around the town so you do not have to walk to far if you do not want to. The bus stop is about 2-3 minutes from the chalet.

Skiing

This was the first time skiing EK. The area is huge and I loved it. We enjoyed mixed weather from whiteouts and high winds to pure blue skies all day. One day they only opened the free lift in the town as it was too dangerous to open any others.

I had a lesson with Steve from TDC (you can read his The view from blog on this site) on my first day. He gave me some drills to improve technique and I was happily zipping down all the resorts reds and even a couple of black runs by the end of the week.

We skied all the way to down into Tignes Les Brevieres, up to Grande Motte, around Bellevarde, all of Solaise and everything in-between. The only part we did not ski was Le Fornet. I really enjoyed having so much ground to cover after skiing La Rosiere at New Year.

General

Val d’Isere is a tad expensive. The ski hire, lessons, food and drink were all above what I have paid else where. But I really enjoyed the place. I know it’s full of English and is not typically French but I can soak up the French atmosphere on more relaxed ski trips. This was about skiing lots and enjoying the après ski with friends.

If you have any questions please fire away.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any advice on places to eat in the evening? Not sure if you ventured out? Good report though Smile Favourite runs?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Favourite restaurants I cannot really advise on. Had a burger in Moris Bar that was huge and tasted good. Otherwise we ate the food on offer at the chalet.

Favourite runs is quite subjective. I enjoyed the longer runs in this resort, many of which are wide enough to enjoy even on a busy day.

Arcelle in Solaise Area
Piste M back down to Val D from Solaise is fun. Ranges from wide open piste to tree lined finish.
Coupe Du Monde/OK/Orange in Bellevarde Area near Foliie
Double M beneath Les Lanches lift that runs down to Val Claret
Prarionde run down to Val Claret
Chardons/Pavot that runs down to Tignes Les Breviers
We also had fun zipping down the Grattalu run and using some of the smaller jumps in the parks. This is in Tignes area.

Don’t think there were many runs I did not enjoy. Piste L was slightly annoying though when the wind had removed the snow and there was limited visibility.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Levi215 wrote:
Any advice on places to eat in the evening? Not sure if you ventured out? Good report though Smile Favourite runs?

You off there soon ? Plenty of recommendations on here. Mine would be Le Casserole and L'Avancher in town, L'Arolay in Le Fornet and not forgetting the Grand Marnier creperie !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dsoutar, Saturday Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think it was Le Casserole we went to on our lodge staff's night off....lots of cheese....very tasty!

Moris was good value for huge portions - had eaten in the lodger and then went out for drinks, saw the biggest plate of nachos I have ever seen...

For lunch, there's a bakery/snack bar near the Grand Marnier bar (possibly Le Tartine??) that was brilliant value.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy