Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evening hut clothes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I’m going splitboard touring next week with UCPA from Argentiere – and we are staying 2 nights in mountain huts. I’ve no idea what I should take for the evenings to wear in the huts.

Structure is 1x 1 day tour, then 2x 2 day tours, so I will only ever be away from the centre for one night at a time which makes packing easier.
What would you take for one night away in a hut?

Should I take a clean pair of thermals, t-shirt and socks and wear those in the evening (and next day), or is it more normal to take proper clothes to wear?

What about PJs? Bother to take them for the hut or just sleep in pants and tshirt?

I've bought a silk sleeping bag liner, and a very tiny microfiber towel, so sorted on that front.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I wear in the hut what I wore during the day and will wear the next day. No towel (small flannel), no pjs, for a few days I might take a change of pants/t-shirt. The key to enjoying yourself is to keep the weight down. You'll have enough in your pack with potentially skins/harness/crampons/axe/emergency layer etc. that extras aren’t required. Think of it more like going walking than snowboarding!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This will probably annoy many readers, but I just take a change of underwear. During the evening I wear the same clothes I wore during the day climbing, even if they are damp. The silk sleeping bag is very good. I just sleep in my underwear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a single night some (most?) people might not bother taking any change of clothes... However, it is nice to change in to something fresh when you get to the hut, so I'd take a t-shirt or spare thermal top, spare socks and underwear. If your ski pants are very bulky and you don't want to wear just thermals then maybe a very thin pair of trousers too (I do this for summer treks, most people don't). Liner is indeed essential, and a towel is very nice to have. Don't assume there'll be hot water or showers though. I wouldn't bother with PJs, thermals are normal night wear.

Don't forget a small torch (head torch if possible), and one or two stuff sacks or carrier bags are handy for keeping stuff organised, it's very easy to lose stuff in a busy dorm in the dark. If any of your gear is not distinctive make sure you label it really clearly - stuff doesn't get nicked but it can get taken by accident.

If you were basing yourself in a hut for a few days it would be slightly different, you could afford to carry up a bit more and leave it in the hut, but in this case I'd go as light as possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah ok, that makes sense, I was just worried that if it was stormy or something and I got wet then it would be an uncomfortable evening.

Think I will put in a clean pair of pants though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Everyone will be walking around in thermals so you’ll be fine. The huts are normally warm so if you are damp, wearing your clothes will dry them out.

You probably won't be out if the weather is bad but you do want to be wearing quick drying stuff. Basic synthetic thermals (polyprop) smell a bit but dry quickly, don't wet out and are cheap. Merino is another currently popular option as it doesn't get as smelly and some find in nicer against the skin but it holds more moisture than synthetics so takes longer to dry, often doesn’t hold its shape as well and is fragile. It also cost a bomb. Having said that, I’ve got some very fine Patagonia merino blend t-shirts that I use for touring which are ace (cost a bomb but far better than all the icebreaker stuff I’ve got).

Remember, when touring you want to minimise sweating/getting hot on the up so, “be bold, start cold” as if you’re warm before you start skinning, you’ll be roasting after 20 minutes! This will avoid having to stop and faff with layers later.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kat.ryb,
Don't worry. Those trekking to huts travel as light as possible, so anything goes on an evening. It's very common to see folk dining in their long johns.

As others have said, a silk sheet sleeping bag is ideal. Very comfy and very light. My preference is to take a small travel towel like yours but Mrs B is keener on travelling light so manages with a (wait for it...) large handkerchief for patting herself dry! Very Happy

Again, as mentioned earlier, a head torch is essential for the dark dorms. I'd also recommend earplugs as there may well be a chainsaw snorer in your room.... You may have it in hand but a water bottle (or small thermos flask, or both if you want to carry them) is also essential as you could have some very warm uphill slogs. The huts will usually fill a thermos as part of breakfast.

I'd also suggest Compeed for the ascents (just in case you do blister). Even if your boots fit ok there's nothing like a 3 hour ascent to test them for rubbing or "hotspots."

I also wish that someone had told us before our first ski tour that ski touring does not guarantee off piste powder or indeed any decent snow.... Naively, we didn't appreciate that and were disappointed with the downhill. However, we now travel with an open mind, appreciating that you get what you get (regarding snow conditions) and treat the trip as a mountain journey - making the most of a valuable experience and enjoying the downhill turns. That's not to say we haven't had some fantastic snow, of course!

Hut trips (in the summer as well) are a brilliant way of spending time in the mountains. I hope you have a great trip and please remember to let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input.

Quote:

head torch

Quote:

earplugs

Check and check - plus eye mask.

Quote:

Compeed

Good point, I'll get some.

I'm actually feeling a bit nervous rather than excited - I had planned to get into peak physical condition, instead I've had one virus after another for the last two months and been really run down and done no exercise for ages! Oh well...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
I also wish that someone had told us before our first ski tour that ski touring does not guarantee off piste powder or indeed any decent snow

http://youtube.com/v/uWzrIX5l0vc
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two pairs of knickers and two thermal tops and you'll be fine. Have a wash and get changed as soon as you arrive then sleep in what you're wearing ready for a quick start in the morning.

Some huts can be cold especially in the dorms - Mont Thabor springs to mind. I usually slob about in a thermal top and a duvet jacket and hat, gloves and headtorch in the pockets - ready for anything.

There's an old packing list of mine here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91665&start=40

I need to go through it again so, if I remember, I'll post an update.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing. Smartwool base layers will hold the stink at bay as will trust anti perspirant which I can't recommend highly enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=trust+deodorant&tag=amz07b-21&index=aps&hvadid=24520314534&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13380382638773792594&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2mwgyuggth_e
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Two pairs of knickers and two thermal tops and you'll be fine.

I've not done mountain huts, but from experience of sailing and camping I'd want clean knickers for each day but wearing the same thermals for 2 or 3 days wouldn't bother me. Microfibre towel and silk sleeping bag sound ideal.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great, thanks everyone - defo going for the less is more approach but also def having a clean pair of pants!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reminds me of a walk we did in the Picos de Europa in northern Spain years ago:
http://warringtonbears.org.uk/picos/index.htm

Our last night in the mountains was in the Refugio de Vegarredonda where we met a group of Brits on a trip organised by Exodus or somesuch. Some of the women dressed for dinner and one even had gold-lamé slippers. Difficult not to snigger really.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@altis, One evening we climbed the Bastille via ferrata in Grenoble. It was a hot and humid evening. We were very dirty and sweaty when we got to the bar at the top. Everyone else there were wearing dicky bow ties and evening dresses. No one appeared to mind us dirty smelly climbers sitting amongst their mist drinking beer.

But I must remember my gold lame slippers for the next time I stay in a hut.
latest report
altis wrote:
. Some of the women dressed for dinner and one even had gold-lamé slippers. Difficult not to snigger really.

I'm shocked, surely everyone dresses formally for dinner!!!
latest report
Quote:

Some of the women dressed for dinner and one even had gold-lamé slippers.

Laughing I must be sure never to sign up for that sort of trip - I'd probably be black-balled on day 1.
snow report
Many "huts" are accessible from resorts - and they run special evenings where they bring clients up from the resort to the "hut" via skidoos and rattracks - I've been in a couple of huts where we've ended up only to have the fur coat brigade walk in - all in Italy I should hasten to add.

We're kept to the eating room off the kitchen, whilst a great big banquet room opens up for them Puzzled

Refuge Magi spings to mind with them brought up from Bardonecchia.

As for hut kit, merino now means (as some have alluded to) that you don't really have to worry about kit, keeps fresh for a week, if fussy just turn it inside out rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

they run special evenings where they bring clients up from the resort to the "hut" via skidoos and rattracks

they should at least make them hike up 100m or so. Get them into the mood......
ski holidays
@Weathercam, We stayed at the Rifugio Scoiattoli at Cinque Torri in the Dolomites and the guests for the evening meal came up and went down using the chair lift which was specially switched on for the occaision. I'm not sure how the ladies coped in their frocks.
snow report
People call them "huts", my climbing mates have stayed in the real "huts" where getting up at 04:30 to do the final "push" is the norm and food is basic - but by far the majority that I've stayed in over the years have been very "nice" - with rooms for couples having en suites through to dorm like rooms for groups - most switch off the electricity at 21:30 but others (Italy again) we're still having the "cheese and meats" as a late supper after dinner at 23:00.

But obviously on a hut to hut if you're carrying gear, light is right.

One "top" and one pair of merino leggins is all you need - make sure your party does not double up on stuff - tooth paste , compeed, sun cream, swiss army knife etc

Then duck tape around ski poles, cable ties etc - I could go on .......................................................
ski holidays
I remember a SH reporting on a tour in Italy, staying in "mountain huts", most of which seemed to be reached by road. Wasn't at all what I'd understood by "mountain huts". Just another form of hotel or hostel, essentially.
latest report
@pam w, Yes, Italy is the home of the luxury private huts, but most I have stayed in have access by track with the warden walking down to get provisions or sometimes by rickety cable way. The evening meal is basic with lots of pasta (and red wine). To be honest the very big ones are not as pleasant as the small, rough and basic.
snow conditions
Quote:

To be honest the very big ones are not as pleasant as the small, rough and basic.

I can well believe that. I'm not at all keen on big luxury hotels full of people in gilded slippers and fur coats.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, the Tre Alpini across the road is nicer than the Re Maggi - Mrs A has done both!
snow conditions
Quote:

one even had gold-lamé slippers. Difficult not to snigger really

So I shouldn't take my high heels for dinner? Very Happy
ski holidays
"Mountain Huts" can mean anything from a road accessed mini hotel to an unmanned bivy in the middle of nowhere. There more remote, the nicer usually.
latest report
I meant to add that bivies and winetr rooms generally feature in my more cherised hut-based memories......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget ear plugs.
latest report
The smartest option I've seen is to tour in softshell pants. You can wear them in the hut in the evening, and they look better than thermals.
ski holidays
Oceanic. I agree whole heartedly. Thermals don't leave much to the imagination and who needs that when contemplating dinner?
ski holidays
A lightweight down jacket that packs small can be invaluable - toasty warm for wearing in cold huts or for slipping on when stopping during ascents for lunches etc - you soon cool down.

And in case anyone hasn't mentioned: one thing you needn't carry is footwear for an evening - all huts provide 'hut slippers,' which can range from flimsy felt slippers to wooden-soled Croc-type shoes. These are normally free to use - we've stayed in 20 or 30 huts where that was the case. However, in one Austrian hut we had to buy them - only about €2 but a bit of a surprise.
latest report
Wet wipes can be handy if you're in a hut with no running water - good for freshening up your face and, er, ahem. Pack two wet wipes for each day you're away from civilisation, and leave the towel at home.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
, keeps fresh for a week, if fussy just turn it inside out rolling eyes

For the really determined you can get nearly a month. Inside out then back to front then inside out and back to front. Shocked
snow report
Maybe I should give a bit of an update since I got so much good advice. I know it was a few months ago, but had a great week. Loved the touring side of the trip even if at several points it was much more like type II fun than type I. Came back with a 'yeah I wan to do MORe of htis' and was all ready ot buy a super duper top of the range split board and bindings etc... and then realised how much it would cost and shelved that idea!

I didn't take the towel in the end as there was no running water.

Quote:

Pack two wet wipes for each day you're away from civilisation, and leave the towel at home.

I will defo do this next time.

I didn't take evening clothes or spare socks. On the first overnight trip my socks were wet and so I had very cold feet until they dried, and on the second my back was super sweaty (nice!) and my sleeves also got wet, and my 'spare' fake-down jacket got wet as I hadn't packed it into the plastic bag very well. So once again a cold few hours.

Next time I will take a spare of cosy but normal (not ski) socks and at least a spare thermal top so I can have one non-wet layer, and be careful to pack my spare soft sell jacket in a better plastic bag / dry bag!

I found it much easier to sleep with my ipod in and playing than I did with just ear plugs in. Didn't sleep very well, found the air was very dry and I had a bit of a cough anyway (which I'm sure was a bit annoying for other people) and then because I was drinking water all night to try and keep the cough down, I had to go to the loo in the night.

The course composition was great, two nights away (but not consecutive) worked perfectly for an introduction into hut touring. I was very very VERY tired at the end of the week! snowHead
latest report
@kat.ryb, Thanks for the interesting review. It was an enjoyable read. I find ski apartments/chalets very dry, but huts with all the people in close proximiity, humid and stuffy. The only things more annoying than needing to visit the toilet in the middle of the night are needing to go more than once and the other pepole in the dorm also needing to go.
latest report
going to the loo in the middle of the night in a small boat is even worse because it involves pumping, which is guaranteed to reverberate throughout the whole boat. And you have to do LOTS of pumping, otherwise the loo could block - so you are torn between minimal pumping/disruption and wanting to demonstrate that if the loo gets blocked, it wasn't your fault!
snow report
@pam w, She Wizz. They fit perfectly and open up what men already know - going over the side whilst admiring the stars and the phosphorescence is one of sailing's pleasures.
snow conditions
@pam w, do you have to pump even for a wee?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy