Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowshoes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - we tried some snowshoeing this year for the first time and really enjoyed it, especially as the days we went out were fairly grotty in terms of skiing conditions. So next trip we plan to buy our own shoes and keep them in our apartment. We had a fairly cheap pair of borrowed racquettes that our companions had bought on the cheap in a Decathlon.

However, like all equipment, the price range is substantial and we're faced with the usual "How much should we spend?" question.

The snowshoes we borrowed were hinged at the toe and could be locked-down at the heel. We did have problems traversing slopes and going downhill: this arrangement meant it was almost easier to walk facing uphill across a slope or down a steep incline. Other designs seem to be hinged more in the centre of the shoe, or have a shoe that sits in a flexible mesh - presumably so that you could incline the sole in any orientation. Others had much more aggressive-looking spikes on their bases (although carrying these on a bus etc without injury would seem a challenge).

Anyone got any recommendations/observations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have TSL 225 snowshoes, which are sort of general purpose but the bindings can be a bit of a pain. Friends who bought snowshoes more recently have snowboard style ratchet bindings which are much better.

I'd go somewhere like Decathlon with a decent range and ask their advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have TSL 225 snowshoes, which are sort of general purpose but the bindings can be a bit of a pain. Friends who bought snowshoes more recently have snowboard style ratchet bindings which are much better.

I'd go somewhere like Decathlon with a decent range and ask their advice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just passed my International Mountain Leader - Final exam on snowshoes - Saw most types in use and abuse (yes you get to do lot's of things on snowshoes that you wouldn't normaly dream of doing).
Most popular MSR Evo - look to find em ex military surplus about £40
I have a pair of said snowhoes, I also have Quechua inuit 450's - cost me €43 on special offer - can't fault em as a basic but durable snowshoe, much quicker and easier to put on and adjust athan anything else I've seen - will be buying more for client use in the future.
TSL's are another good option but the ajustment system for different sizes is a pain (similar on almost all theri models)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy