Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from spending Xmas with Emma et al in the chalet. very cold all week, weather went from brilliant sunshine to a white-out, three small falls of snow during the week which freshened up the slopes, but no visibility that day. La Thuile, miserable and cold and pistes looking very worn and icy, no wonder so many Italians skiing on the French side. Dumping down as we left yesterday and continuing today but still very cold, which will keep conditions good for a while but more snow needed, saw more rocks on the upper slopes than I've ever seen before but it might be bad in Val d'Isere as I saw a few intructors from Val on the slopes with their clients.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dumping hard at the moment, was thinking of heading up to La Ros tomorrow but worried I might not make it up the road if this keeps up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, the N90 was clear but none of the village roads have been cleared, anyone driving out to la Rosiere in the next few days will definately need snowchains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might give it a go this morning, despite not being able to find my chains. Have got a feeling I left them in Provence, of all places rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just spoken to Emma, starting to clear up now after snowing almost conbtinuously since the 30th Dec. She says she has never seen as much snow in the village, looks as if there's been almost a metre of fresh, great conditions for anyone going out to la rosiere in the next week or so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great day up at La Ros, wanted to go over to the Italian side but the guide who runs the Anca snack bar at the Fort explained that they'd had some problems behind the Traversette Col on the Bouguetin red, when setting off avalanches the day before, and a piste basher had been buried! Don't think the driver was in it at the time fortunately! So the link was closed, should be open again tomorrow though. Mind you as the snow had all come from the west he reckoned it wouldn't have brought a huge amount to la Thuile...

Went up via the Ecudets chair, 13 minutes door to chair from Bourg St Maurice.

Some good photos, I'll add them to the blog later.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 3-01-06 15:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Ros blog added...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, Wonderful pictures, I see that you have got to grips with the new camera. The slopes were so empty, what fun Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, I echo what snowbunny says. An interesting read, thanks for making it available.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Another superb blog and photo's, keep up the good work
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, greta photos PG, a typical La Rosiere day, super snow, empty slopes and some great skiing on and off-piste. Le Vieux Chalet is a super little hut that not many vistors find.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, some great photos. Some friends of mine are there now and said the conditions were excellent for the most part. The Escudets chair lift is one of my favourites - really peaceful and plenty of time to run through your mind the run down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Occurred to me in a flash of inspiration this morning rolling eyes ... that if I could see Bourg St Maurice (and my house) from the bottom of the Ecudets lift, then I should be able to see the Ecudets and some of the piste from my house Very Happy

Seemed pretty logical, so in a very brief break in the clouds I took a shot in that general direction, and hey presto...

Should be able to get some really high quality images when the weather is good. Think I might just add that view to the webcam page; with a powerful zoom, might even be able to make out the occasional skier!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 3-01-06 15:43; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right, done that, visibility not brilliant so didn't enlarge too much, but a pretty clear shot all the same. (Scroll to bottom of page, click on La Rosière thumbnail picture to open full-size image in separate window). A virtually empty Ecudets chair as usual!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 3-01-06 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, Bloody hell, who supplied the lens? NASA Very Happy . When we were there at Easter, Ecudets and Petite Bois lifts were shut due to lack of snow but they are both on my must do list. The Fontaine Froid looks like a real cracking run. Excellent work as usual PG.
snow conditions

Bottom right, the Ecureuil black (bottom right, slightly mogully) with the Sevoliere button lift... taken late this afternoon. Some other shots showed a few people higher up, but on the Ecudets and Fontaine Froide, and the Ecudets lift itself, no a soul at 4.20pm...
ski holidays
PG, have you launched a satelite ?
snow report
To the left and below the start of the drag s the new "Snowcross des Zittieux" area. Some type of safe off piste fun area. Strange how camera angles work as the Tetras blue run, just beyond the chair lift, looks like it runs uphill.
snow report
PG, Are you launching an alternative to 'Google Earth' ?
snow conditions

So which one is Chalet Le Mouflon, then? Click on the above thumbnail ONLY if you have broadband, the full res image is about 1.6MB (compressed to 60%). (I was looking for examples of Masque's drain artisanship, but no luck, too much snow... wink
ski holidays
The above pic was cropped from the photo below by the way, taken from about the same altitude on the other side of the valley, in the Les Arcs domain...

ski holidays
I think you have linked up with some sort of piste 'spy satellite' PG, !
ski holidays
Lorraine, just watch what you're doing on your balconies folks, when you're out in the Tarentaise!!

Taken around 1500 hrs this afternoon - the main chair hardly packed, no queue, hardly anyone on the slopes.
snow conditions
PG, if you follow the lowest line of chalets on the far right of the photo, count 7 in toward the centre and Le Mouflon is just behind, uninterupted views across the Tarentaise, shows how empty the pistes can be. Great shot of the Rocs Noir chairlift. You won't see it like that at the moment about 50cms of snow since Monday and still falling.
snow conditions
I've always fancied going to La Rosiere. My first ski holiday was to La Thuile but I wasn't good enough to do the lunch trip to France. Sad Now that we've got a little one I'd really like to go back but stay in LR - people keep saying how good it is for kids and the snow reports always look pretty good too. What's it like in March/April time? Can you normally still ski back down to resort level?
snow conditions
geetee, we always go to our chalet for the last week of April, never had a problem skiing back to the resort, a couple of lower runs down to 1200 and 1500 metres are closed but that's about it and the link to Italy has always been open. Great snow record for late skiing, have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for more information.
snow report
Iv got a Piest pole head plaque from la rossier from the green run called "le escargot" found it quite amusing. dont ask how how I got it. Very Happy Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
Was it windy up on the link again?

Friday Feb 24th: It was so bad just going up the chair to the Fort (and even on the main chair from the resort) that we decided not to risk it, in case it closed. Every lift up during the day left you with frozen fingers, face and feet. Visibility poor, wind unrelenting, cold. All the lovely powder (apart from patches deposited today blown over from Italy wink) had been converted to wind-blown crust.

The pistes were fine, some icy patches late in the day, no queues to speak of. The only bumps run was the top of the Ecudets - good fun, last slide of the day, thigh-burning though..

I'll do a brief blog entry later, but to give you an idea of how bad it was I took one photo all day, in the bar down at the bottom of the Ecudets lift before heading for the car!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, Did you meet up with the Lardy Snow God?
snow report
We did, and can confirm that he is indeed a Snow God to the point of being able to remove snow from other resorts and cause it to fall in La Rosière. I'll make no comment about his alleged Lardiness.
snow conditions
To the La Rosière Complaints Department

1) There are no moguls. Please put some in.
2) There are no raised bumpy runs alongside the pistes. Please put some in.
3) The pylons are numbered back to front. They start at number one at the bottom and go up, instead of starting with the last number and finishing with number one just before the end. You can't count them down rolling eyes.

From Timothy, aged 10.
snow conditions
3 is a very good point, it's nice knowing whereabouts you are on a lift.
ski holidays
PG, *3 never seen that, which runs?
snow report
David@traxvax, kids! Not the sort of thing I noticed, but according to Timothy, "at least one" Very Happy.

I'm surprised he could see anything yesterday with the blizzard blowing into our faces. Not a clue which lift it was - we took Ecudets, Roches Noires, Eucherts, Petit Bois, Landelières and Fort yesterday.
ski holidays
And here's the blog update for Friday's trip.
snow conditions
PG, Who are the two fellas with Timothy?
snow report
snowbunny, BernardC and Jayne Durham's partner, Steve (right)...
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
3 is a very good point, it's nice knowing whereabouts you are on a lift.

A game to play. If you are on chair number 78 and there are a total of 165 chairs on the lift (fixed chairs) which chair is passing you when you are exactly half way?
snow report
boredsurfin, none. Odds are you'll be right next to an empty space when you are exactly half way!
snow conditions
PG wrote:
boredsurfin, none. Odds are you'll be right next to an empty space when you are exactly half way!

Very Happy But it keeps the kids quite for hours whilst concentrating on the chair numbers on a long lift whilst doing the maths! We now know the half way point of every chair from La Plagne to Montalbert Very Happy

Apparently we are going to work out the half way point on the draglifts at Easter. Puzzled

I am going to show them Romains website (http://romain.guigon.free.fr) and then they can work out the speed and time taken on each lift Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy