Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road Payments - Luxembourg, Germany, Belgium etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is the state of the road tolls system in the EU?

SH's know about Vignettes in Austria and Switzerland and are 'experts' with French toll 'doofers', but does anyone know about the payments that appear to be due to some/all road users in other UK to the alps route countries? In the various service areas it is common to see self service payment boxes for what appear to be dispensing toll based windscreen stickers in exchange for credit card details. Should we all be carrying these as we drive through the various countries - my foreign language skills aren't good enough to work out what/whom these are for? FWIW I have found this reference on line which may also be of interest to anyone that drives through Germany.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30516530

If anyone knows about road 'tolls/taxes' in these other countries and if we should be paying for these I would be interested. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
System in Italy is very like that in France, with booths to collect tickets then booths for payment. Mainly automatic payment via cash, toll badge or credit card, but there are manned ones too. Some sections are just pay and go with no ticket.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@iSnowhead, don't panic yet about Germany. the suggested system is not supported by Merkel (as I understand it she does not want to have any kind of toll system for private vehicles). Plus it is being challenged both within the Federal and State governments as well as at EU level.

Those of us living here will soon inform the community once anything becomes concrete as we will be the first affected! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is of course the TollCollect thing for HGVs in Germany. You know those huge gantries with shedloads of camera gear where tourists stamp on their brakes down to 100 thinking they'll get caught Wink

And for several German cities, there's the emissions zone, where any car (German or otherwise) must have a Green* emissions sticker. €40 fine and 1 point in Flensburg (even for non-DE licenses), if you get caught (unlikely).
(*most of the cities need a green sticker, some still allow older yellow ones. even my 2002 registered car gets the "cleanest" green sticker.)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Munich is really hot on the Umwelt Zone (pollution Zone) - no cars without a Green E4 sticker allowed inside the Mittler-Ring (the inner ring road). The traffic wardens as well as the police issue the fines. If it is a foreign car apparently they check the emissions values on the internet before issuing a ticket (or not).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here it's the local govt that keeps getting on the wrong end of the legal stick. They tried to get away with banning trucks and buses thru the central zone, but the state govt said "that's illegal because it's not a sticker emmisions zone".
But we still don't need the sticker yet, despite almost every single car having one (and mine was free with a replacement windscreen Wink )

Slovenia, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, and maybe more all also have tolls via booth or toll stickers (or in the case of Slovenia, both, kind of!), just in case anyone fancies driving and skiing beyond the main Alpine nations.
And some are for stupid durations (well Slovenia is). Maybe one day there'll be a EU standard toll.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nuf said:

Wikipedia
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy