Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake Annecy in July

Poster: A snowHead
Hello you lovely lot. I'm after some advice for a summer holiday. I've been looking a lot at Lac Annecy which looks fabulous & has so much going for it. My only concern could be the weather. When we drove down to Bordeux summer 2013 we had variable weather & we were fairly far south. Mrs G is looking at Provence & Cote D'Azur so the weather will pretty much be guaranteed. I'm intending going on 18th July for 2 weeks. I know lots of you lovely people will have experience of the region around Lake Annecy so would really appreciate your opinions. Regards J
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lac de Serre-Poncon, Embrun. About double the chance of good weather plus phenomenal region for outdoors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to Annecy twice in July in the last 3 or 4 years and both times had fantastic weather. In total I've spent 9 days there, which to be fair isn't a lot, but only seen it rain once. Rest of the time it has been hot and sunny - we love it and are going back this summer. We tend to rent a place in the mountains (near La Clusaz) and travel to the lake for days out. Accommodation there is much cheaper than Annecy, so you get much better bang for your buck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@grandunion, we've had 5/6 summer fortnights in the Alps (all Haute Savoie so within an hour or so of Annecy) in the past 8 years. Other than last August in Morzine, we've had consistently great weather - even last year (widely considered to be the worst for years) we had decent days. We do always have a day or two in Annecy and last year's trip there was amongst the best of the 2 weeks. This IS a very small snapshot though and others who live there may have other views; FWIW, if NOT having sun and fine days would spoil things for you though, perhaps further south/away from mountains would be a better choice?

For us - not at all gnarly and only really going for the scenery, mountain air and lack of Costas-style baking heat - the Alps in summer offers all we like in a holiday. In fact, just booked to go to Chamonix on 22/7 and VERY excited already Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We spend a couple fo weeks in the summer in Serre Chevalier, last year summer was not so great although I couldn't complain about our trip which was at the end of August. One day rain in 16.

LIke @Onnem, says Serre Poncon is a great area, and less crowded than Annecy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last week in June and the weather was fine, for me (not too hot...!) - and the lake is very very very cold !!!!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've been in Annecy in June with the temperature routinely hitting 38C. We've also been there in June with the temperature in the low single digits Celsius. (The temps hit -1C the day I went to pick the Good Lady up from the top of the Semnoz, which was covered in fresh snow, up which she had cycled.)

June 2013 was freakishly cold in the Alps. By early July, the Good Lady and I were cycling up Alpe D'Huez with 39C temps, with it similarly hot the next day in Annecy.

You could get anything in July. Good weather would be the expectation though.

I think the only certainty is that the lake will be cold!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can't rely on having "south of France" type weather in Annecy. Better than the UK, though. But if a couple of days of bad weather (it can get sudden storms too) would spoil the holiday, Serre Poncon might be a better bet - I don't know it at all, but just googled, having seen the suggestion above, and it looks terrific.

I spend quite a long time in the Alps during summer and autumn, at various times, and have often sat looking at forecasts wondering about a good day to visit Lake Annecy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used Annecy as a base a couple of years ago whilst cycling some of the stages of the TDF (mid to late July). Camped right on the lake and had good weather. Mostly clear, late 20's up to early 30's Celsius. Had a massive thunderstorm one evening but soon cleared, although the tent became a little soggy!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stayed 2 weeks at a caravan site at St Jorioz last August, with direct access to the lake. Fabulous area, great for cycling and walking, lake great for swimming, paddleboarding etc the temperature of the water is supposed to hover around 24C I think . Weather was generally dry and warm but with thunderstorms now and again, including one spectacular storm just as the annual Festival du Lac firework display and concert was about to get underway.
The view out over the lake from Col de la Forclaz, from where you can go paragliding, is breathtaking.
We will definitely be going back there one day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
July is usually glorious. Except last year when it was minging.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

temperature of the water is supposed to hover around 24C I think .

Gulp. I would have guessed closer to 15. The weather may be nice and sunny and usually is, but it does rain and the temperature can drop. I suppose it all depends on what activities you are planning to do. For walking, cycling and climbing I think you will get out most days. Sailing and wind surfing almost every day. It is a popular centre for parreponting.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And bits of August were very wet, too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have been to the Alps in August the past few years and always been lucky with the weather...even last year when it had apparently rained for about a month before our arrival and was then fine. Very Happy Friends who stayed in the Annecy area said it was wonderful swimming in the lake - water very clean.

If your wife is keen on the Cote D'Azur you could do a week in Annecy and a week on the Cote D'Azur.

I personally find the French Mediterranean coast a bit too hot in July and August, although we are going there at that time this year as we are restricted to school holidays and it is the only time we can go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I personally find the French Mediterranean coast a bit too hot in July and August

me too and it is also absolutely hideously crowded in school holiday time. We shared a (very small) boat on the Cote d'Azur for about 15 years but very early July was the latest we'd go down there.
ski holidays
@grandunion, - just go - the weather will be what it is, Annecy is Glorious....
snow conditions
In the 5 years that I've been living in the area, last summer was a real aberration as they are generally very warm and dry, with temperatures usually in the 28-32 degree range, but it has been much hotter on some days.

It's not so consistently reliable as the Med, but much more so than in the UK. Annecy in the summer is stunning and the lake a colour of blue unlike any other.
latest report
Annecy is great. Lots of different things to do from exploring the medieval old town centre to walking in the mountains around the area. Great cycle path on the west side. The lake is great for a swim or kayaking, etc. It's one of my favourite places. Just had my first cycle of the season around the lake last week.
snow report
Annecy in the summer is a great place. We tend to camp around the lake and it offers a superb base to visit the mountains too. Do it and take bikes its fab
snow report
@marksavoie, yes, my husband and son rode around the lake last summer and loved it. Driving there meant we could take their own bikes, so while they did their ride, other son and I sat in deck chairs at the lakeside, reading our books in the sunshine Very Happy - a really lovely day
ski holidays
For those of a hardcore cycling disposition, there are some very good climbs nearby:
- Semnoz (2 sides) (plus the 2013 Etape route if you fancy a full day out).
- Col de Forclaz (2 sides) - A "double Forclaz" before breakfast is a good way to start the day!
- Col des Aravis, Croix Fry and Saises (plus 2 Cat 2 climbs I can't remember!) in a 130k look from Doussard (far end of lake from the town). 2700m ascent.
snow conditions
Annecy is gorgeous. I was lucky enough to be on a 5 day residential course held at the big posh hotel on the lake. It was very hot when we were there and the course leaders decided that if we started early in the morning and went on a little later in the evening then we could take a very long lunch and enjoy the lake. Almost every day we went swimming and I remember the water being much warmer than I expected.

In saying that we have spend the last 4 years in the Dordoyne. Last year was to be our last. The weather was just too unpredictable. Summer 11 was the worst. Tent dwellers were digging channels around their tents in an attempt to divert the rainwater away. Summer 12 was better but there were still some poor days. Summer 13 was glorious and lulled us in to a false sense of optimism. Summer 14 was probably the second worst. The first week saw rain and very cool temps. Sitting outside with jeans and a fleece is not my idea of a summer holiday. The second week was better with some very nice and warm days.
ski holidays
@Gaza, much of last summer was very awful around lake Annecy too. Unusual, but it happens. Massive amount of rain and cold, too.
snow report
Never done Annecy, but have done Provence regularly mid july to mid august for the last 30+ years and like everywhere location is the key to everything. If you're on the coast then the heat is moderated by the onshore sea breezes giving usually nice high 20's and feeling comfortable, make you have lots of sun cream on because the heat is deceptive. Occasionally there are mistral days with high winds and rarely really heavy thunderstorms. Go inland a few miles and the temperature is more like mid 30's. Generally it is much less humid than you would expect for the same temperature in the UK making the temperatures much more comfortable.

Provence/Cote d'Azur gets very busy at that time of year, for example the coast road between St Maxime and St Tropez it can be quicker to cycle than drive.

If Mrs G wants to see the area then June and September are a much better time as it's very quiet and generally the temperatures are nice and comfortable for walking etc.

Over the years we have spent a lot of time "touring" on the way down spending time in southern Germany, French alps and Switzerland and the one thing you can guarantee is that the weather is not predictable.

Our worst experience was near Grenoble where a temperature inversion and lack of wind gave an awful air pollution experience.

If you are going for 2 weeks from 18th July then be aware that the weekend 1/2 August is the big French change over weekend when the "Juillietistes" return to Paris and the "Aoutiens" leave Paris and the motorways are hell, with 2-3 hour queues at the toll booths, check the "Bison Fute" website for travel predictions. It's not unusual for the normal 4 hours between Paris/Lyon and Lyon/Paris to take anything from 8 hrs up on that weekend. Having said that with 2 driving we regularly do Calais to Provence in under 12 hours.

Hope this helps
latest report
We've camped in Sallanches (Passy) and Bourg in 3 of the last 4 years. Two of those it was super warm, 30s all round. Last year was poor, but still not so bad. Every year we've been to Annecy as part of the trip. Also been there in 2006 in summer. Always warm, lake super warm - no shivering for the kids - might well have been 20C+. Highly recommended!
snow conditions
Quote:

lake super warm

^^ agree with this - something to do with it being shallow and the bottom of it being pale coloured (I think I read somewhere). There are lake beaches which are great!
ski holidays
Anybody any campsite recommendations for the area? Family of 4 going camping end of July with 4 & 6 year old boys.
snow conditions
Theres a campsite in town which used to be quite good. But haven't been for about 15 years so rely on more recent reports.

Alternatively, Zell am See is fabulous in Summer Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stayed here a few year ago, and liked it a lot (may have changed tho'........)

http://www.lacannecy.com/en/campsite-lake-annecy/fiche-camping-lideal-objet-17.html

It is at the Southern end (the warmer/shallower end of the Lake!)
snow conditions
I drive round the lake a lot - there are lots of campsites up the western shore. I've never stayed at any but have friends who stayed at one at the southern end - they towed a boat and did waterskiing. Maybe the one @albob mentioned, certainly the same area.
snow report
Thanks for your replies. Keep them coming.

A friend of a friends, uncles 2nd cousin, recommended Camping Europa in or near St Jorioz. Allegedly very good for kids, close to lake & cycle path etc. I checked out the website and it looks great but I watched a promo type video on YouTube & it looks like a cheesy version of Butlins from the 80's ... Definitely not what we're after!!

Anyone any experience? As I say, from the website it looks good but a few 1st hand experiences would reassure me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy