Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with best, quickest route from Munich airport to Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody tell me the best, quickest route from Munich airport to Saalbach. I gather it's a busy road out of Munich but what is generally the best route.

Flight arrives at 10am on a Wednesday morning and I need to be back in Munich at 7pm on a Sunday eve. Is the best route E52, kossen, lofer, saalfelden and onto saalbach or am I better E52, E60, Siegsdorf, Inzell, Lofer, Saalfelden and onto Saalbach.

I'm hoping we're travelling at quieter times, apart from the Sunday maybe and am thinking 3hrs will see us in resort? I'm aware I'll need to get a vignette for Austrian motorways. Has anybody any other route options?

Thanks

Will
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Will77, you don't need a vignette for Saalbach. Travelling midweek is no problem, I would stick to the A8 and then take the Siegsdorf, Inzell, Lofer, Saalfelden route as it is the quickest by miles! Travelling back on the Sunday evening really does depend on which Sunday it is, when you have to be at the airport (check in at 19:00 or flight?) and what the weather/snow conditions are. Today was a typical Munichers weekend off to ski Saturday - snow all last week and wall to wall sunshine forecast for today and tomorrow. Traffic back towards Munich tomorrow evening will be crawling the last part, if not earlier along the route from 17:00 onwards.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Samerberg Sue, thank you very much. I'm out this Wednesday and fly back out of Munich at 9.30pm on Sunday 15th March which means check in at half7 so I'm going to try to drop the car off sometime between 7pm and half past. We are just debating what time to ski until on the Sunday, I'm hoping we can ski until 2pm ish......I really appreciate your route advice and thanks for the heads up re not needing a vignette.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should be OK if you leave Saalbach at about 3:30 to get ahead of the game on the non-autobahn section from Saalbach to Siegsdorf. It is that section that could be the slowest. bit if traffic is heavy as overtaking opportunities are few and far between.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Samerberg Sue, just a quick note to say thanks for the route advice. The one you suggested worked perfectly taking approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes from airport to resort and vice-versa; it was a very easy and straightforward drive. Also we left resort at 3pm on Sunday and arrived for our flight with plenty of time to spare.

Thank you
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Will77, nice to hear that things worked out well! The traffic jams going towards Munich began at the Holzkirchen interchange about 16:30 and then just grew all around the A99 as more and more people tried to get home. There was also a nasty accident on the section from Grabenstätt to Übersee (just before Chiemsee) which caused a few hang ups until it was cleared. You managed to get past these way before life became difficult! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy