Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And now for somewhere different. Hakuba, Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Well it's different for my daughter and I. Despite skiing numerous European resorts the only ski trip to another continent was Killington, Vermont. Japan has always been a country I wanted to visit anyway and to combine a skiing trip is wonderful. We've organised it ourselves travelling this Wednesday 11th to arrive Thursday. Two nights in Tokyo to 'settle' then off to Hakuba for 9 nights to include 7 days of skiing and a day trip to see the snow monkeys, 6th century temple and sake factory. Then two nights in Kamakura to chill before the flight back. Total budget for the trip (excluding beer / sake which is never budgetable in my opinion) £1900 per person. This is a lot more than I would normally pay for a ski trip (not long ago I skied 15 days for £1500 in four European resorts) but hopefully it will be an experience to remember. Any tips appreciated but I will be using Snowheads to record this for my own benefit (and any others who fancy similar), even though it will not be all about the skiing Smile. Will update regularly whilst we are there.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your timing is impeccable

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/HakubaCortinaKokusai/6day/mid
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You ski in the footslides of Konrad Bartelski, who's been skiing this area in recent days in the company of another former Olympic racer Steve Lee. If Konrad friends you on his FB page, or if it's public, you'll see lots of pics and captions.

I don't know if Tokyo still has its street of ski shops - the country went ski bananas in the economic boom of the early 1990s - but that's worth a visit too! If Japanese ski magazines are still the fattest in the world they're worth checking out too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from second trip to Hakuba. I assume you are staying in Happo One? Whereabouts?
Whatever else you do, make sure you ski in Cortina (Yes that is how it is spelled) especially after or during a dump. Skiing the powder through the trees in Cortina is one of my all time top ski experiences. There are restrictions on off piste skiing except in limited spots in the main Happo ski area, Goryo, 47 and Iwataki so Cortina is an absolute must. The bus over takes about 30-40 mins. Watch the snow depths along the roadside increase with every mile you pass. (It's only about 10km) First bus leaves the Bus Terminal at about 7.30am. It will be heaving with boarders and Aussies. This season it now costs 500 yen each way (about £3). It's worth it! Get there before the lifts open, park your skis in the queue and go into the mad red roofed, tudorbethan mega hotel for a vending machine coffee. Once there, head up the main 4 man chair by the ticket office and then up the 2 man to the top. The most accessible tree route down is as follows. Off the lift, down the track 100 yds to the dog leg bend, turn left there, but then immediately drop down into the trees. Don't go too close to the lift, and you should eventually drop out into a path and then down again to a point just above the 2 man lift. Huge fun! I was skiing it in knee deep powder just a week ago! Make sure you buy a Cortina/Norikura common pass too, to enable you to cruise about on the other side lf the Cortina bowl.

Other thoughts. They eat early in Japan, so expect dinner at about 6-6.30. There are some good places to eat once you know what you like. Some take bookings, some don't. They are all incredibly good value. In the village-Kihachi (tiny place opposite bus terminal), Onomyaki (not sure I've spelled that right) with a mini hand Onsen by the door, Sarugaku in Echoland. On the mountain the food tends to be rather more cafeteria style. There are only so many Katsu curries I can eat. But, new this season at the top of the Alpen Quad is a fab table service french/italian place called Pilar. also good at the bottom of the Kokusai chair-get in touch with your inner hippie and go vegan at Roots Cafe.
The on piste skiing in all of the resorts is excellent. We really like Iwataki- saw monkeys in the trees from the lifts last year. We didn't get to Tsugaike, but I think there are tree runs open there this season too. The owner of Everogreen Ski school Dave Enright has been really pushing the Japanese to open up off piste areas to get the punters in, and slowly he is having success. Evergreen are the ski school for english speaking lessons. My stepson worked there last season, and this year a friend's daughter is working for them.

Infrastructure is a bit dated, and the resort areas can feel a bit scruffy and stuck in a 80s/90s time warp-expect slow lifts and sometimes no safety bars (but this season there has been so much snow that they have had to dig trenches for the chairs to move up the mountain,...you often have to keep your tips up Very Happy ).
Get into having an onsen at the end of the day.
We love the craziness of Japan. We love skiing there. The people are friendly but very polite. English speaking is limited, but in Hakuba you will manage to make yourself understood.
You will be in Tokyo in blossom season so make sure you go down to Yoyoghi park (? Spelling) to see the trees and all the locals picnicking underneath on their bright blue groundsheets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 great posts. Thanks Guys. Ashamed to say that our off piste is not as strong as we would like but certainly be looking to do some but tree runs may not be top of the list Smile We are staying in Echoland. Accommodation seemed more reasonable to get what we wanted and all the research told us that it would be the easiest to reach any of the 9 local resorts. Bad move? So it looks like nearly a meter of snow just before we get there with dying winds. Who could ask for more. Hope to get some of those piccies logged in the memory bank.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah...the forecast looks AMAZING...lucky people! I can't comment about how easy it is to get everywhere from Echoland. I don't think it's particularly easy to walk to the lifts in Happo, but the bus service is pretty good. Echoland has quite a nice vibe about it -less scruffy than the middle of town. We liked 47, and as it links into Goryu, there is no need to make the latter a separate trip. Great Karage Chicken (fried chicken) at the snow inn by the bottom of gondola at 47. My guess is though that for quieter slopes, it's the areas the other side of Happo (Iwatake, Tsugaike, Norikura) that would keep their powder for longer (they also get more as they are closer to the coast.
With the snow you have forecast, however you may need go no further than Happo! (But do go to Cortina at least once!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Perty. The place we are staying in does transfers to the resorts, so we will explore the extent of their service. Sounds like you are the kind of expert that we should be going with Smile Still part of the adventure is finding out for yourself. Love Karage chicken and often make it at home, however my daughter loves the idea of the vegan place, something for everyone. In countdown. Daughter was packed last night and so far I have packed my boots. Research says cash is king and card use is limited. What's your experience on that point as I am thinking that more than the usual £300 cash may not suffice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well ahead of the game. Not flying until Wednesday morning and already got my skiing gear packed Smile I do love my boots, can't wait to be putting them on, they are crying out for the white stuff. Just 'civvies' to pack now for the other days and travelling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Londonboy50, have an awesome time, I am green with envy!
It's been mooted that there will be an sH bash to Japow next season but whatever becomes of that I've already started researching dates and venues as for me it's a definite.
Maybe if you have a great trip you'll join us and return next season as well Toofy Grin

(And we might room again!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It sounds amazing. I really want to ski in Japan! I can't wait to hear how your trip goes. Don't forget to give us your report Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cash is indeed king. Cashpoint at Bus Terminal, and apparently at the 7 eleven in town (have no idea where that is-maybe Echoland in fact). Fancy places will take cards, but they are few and far between. This post prob too late now as you must be there! Prices cheap though, for lift passes, grub and everything.

Enjoy the "brossom", have an awesome time in the snow. You look like you will be knee deep...lucky b**tards! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So we are here. It was my intention to write a bit before now but one thing and another……..
Tokyo done and on the way to Hakuba by coach. Flight from Heathrow to Helsinki and then to Tokyo arriving 10.00 local time, 01.00 UK time. Took the express train from the airport that was discounted to foreigners, that’s us, by 50% but one way only. About £9 each.
By way of local tubes and we were at the hotel. Nice place, paid a bit more for proper beds and ensuite. Japanese style rooms with shared bathroom being cheaper. £75 per night including breakfast.
Quick freshen up and off to explore. Went to bus station first and got tickets to Hakuba booked. Bit of a mission and not easy to find but eventually all booked at £50 per person return.
Quick interlude as just looked up to see our first glance of the white stuff. Getting nearer.
Anyway. Went to see a shrine of one of the Emperors, but bit late in the day so explored some shops and some of the nearby areas. Toss up for dinner but I talk my daughter into going to the Kill Bill restaurant. OK a bit cliché maybe but I am on holiday. Food was OK, had a set seven dish taster menu and beers for about £35 per person but it was THE actual Kill Bill restaurant and just being there was great.
Second day in Tokyo and started at the Imperial Palace. Walked there hoping to maybe see some cherry blossom. Policeman says few weeks to early for blossom and Palace closed today but come back tomorrow. So head off to old Shinto painted temple. Very impressive the whole area, saw our first pagoda there. Had sushi for lunch from a ‘go around’. Basically where Yo Sushi got their idea and quite a few here. Love sushi.
After visiting a couple of other places back to the hotel for a quick 40 winks before heading out to explore the ‘Soho’ of Tokyo. Found a nice udon noodle place, that had tempura, so sat down for a meal costing £3 a head and yummy. Explored the area, bit seedy in places. Funny little area called the Golden Gai. Very narrow little alleys with numerous side by side little bars, big enough for 6 people only. Not sure of the point of them and didn’t seem cheap.
So Tokyo, done. Well not really but enough for a good taster. Next Hakuba. Arriving in 90 minutes 

Now for the serious stuff Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loving some of the response posts. A like button would be useful. Wondered who The Munckin was for a while, thought maybe a drunken night best left forgotten (?) but then saw the tag at the bottom. Snow Gods have been smiling on us. Over a meter landed and now improving weather. Must be rewarding me for my recent Scottish report Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you there yet????? Are you there yet????? Are you there yet?????
Are you there yet????? Are you there yet????? Are you there yet????? Are you there yet????? Are you there yet????? Are you there yet?????

Watching with interest afar as planning a two week assault on Japan next year. Been to Tokyo/Osaka/Nagano lots on business but never to Hokkaido. Are you travelling with skis?

Enjoy enjoy enjoy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm soooo envious, sounds fabulous! Sushi and snow, two of my favourite things Very Happy
snow conditions
So bus pulls in after not an uncomfortable bus ride. Two ten minute stops breaking the journey in to three helped. This is the cheapest transfer, not the quickest but not much longer. You could take the bullet train then change trains and then get a bus. The bus is all the way. So we arrive at the bus terminal and our 'host' is waiting for us. Well I'm sorry but I don't want to be stereotypical but the guy is the spitting image of Mr Myagi (Karate Kid) and very friendly. Quick intro talk in the minibus and then on the way a guided tour of the various spots worth noting. We booked B&B as being the alternative to B at about £60 a night. First another introductory chat in the lounge accompanied by home made chocolate macaroons by his wife and tea ( I think ollong). Guided tour of the Pension which includes ski room with a vending machine selling Asahi beer (one of my favourites) amongst other bits.
Also there are two private spring fed onsens. Now was going to avoid these as it involves getting naked in front of a lot of japanese men who are not used to see a naked westerner but private to ease the skiing muscles, why not. Next ski hire. Kata points us in the direction of a local shop and tells us to mention his name. First we do the deal. We are skiing for 7 days over 8 days. No problem he says have them for 8 but I will only charge you for 7. Got my own boots. OK extra discount. Taka recommended us to you. OK extra 10% discount. We are now £60 cheaper than if I had booked online. Kerenza is thinking of socks. Special offer have a pair for free and if you want more please come back and see me. Friendly people.
Back to the pensione and Taka has been thinking. He is quiet this week and wonders whether we would be interested in having an ensuite twin room EACH at no extra charge. Sorry but I do not know of anywhere that has offered us that. What a welcoming and great start to our skiing.
Tomorrow and skiing plus the possibilities of piccies (go pro on charge).
With my recent Scottish trip I made comparisons to Europe but here I can't. As the topic title suggests, this is different.
ski holidays
Enjoying your report Londonboy.

I'm off to Japan next year. Staying at a lodge in Myoko with a few other Aussies. Myoko is in the same general area as Hakuba (about an hour from Nagano) but not many westerners ski there yet. It should be an adventure!
snow report
Ski Day One - Happo One - The largest of all the resorts here. Transfer bus easy accessed just around the corner and a 10 minute (or a bit less) see us there. 5000 yen pas (just under £30) and a returnable deposit on the card of 500 yen. All very civilized and our first chair lift up. Up pass the red, looks interesting but opt for the short ski to the second chair lift. Bit speedier this one. Off we get and it is busy. Basically we were told by Taka that if we took all four chair lifts to the top we would have a 5km Red to ski down back to the bottom. However he didn't realise that they had a competition day today plus a manufacturers demo day and the area is busy. So since the second chair was fast we ski back down to it. Nice red, well pisted and wide, very wide. Soon back up again and then still avoiding the comp area head off down to explore the other side. A pattern soon starts emerging. Interesting Greens all over the place which are a bit like travelling Blues in France getting you from one area to another, wide Reds and I mean wide and unpisted moguly Blacks. Despite what was said there is quite a bit of Off Piste going on but all well used. You probably have to get a guide to find the virgin stuff or get here at the right time. Plenty off snow though. It is hot and the Sun is sitting in a blue bird sky, typical spring skiing, so about midday the snow starts getting slushy but not wet, if you know what I mean and easily skiable.
Bit of lunch at Roots Vegan restaurant (daughter likes that sort of thing and costs the same as the rest) then back to the competition area to see what is happening (no choice really as that is where the chair takes us). Basically it is downhill mogul skiing (the Japanese won a medal for this). However the lift is quiet for a minute so we jump on. At the top is the 1998 Olympic Downhill starting 'hut' looking a little forlorn but maintaining an air of excitement and the fourth lift sitting to our right. However looking at the run down beside it looked like moguls. After watching for a while decided it was moguls so thought we wouldn't bother ( I know some snowheads who have some special food for moguls but I don't know where to get it). So we thought we'd stay away from the competition going on and head of to the right. Well, we found ourselves on a mogul slope. Kerenza was convinced that we had stumbled off piste as there were no posts but I had been noticing a lack of them anyway so was confident all was good (ish). As we get down a little further and the trees stop we find that we are actually running parallel with the competition course and every now and again there was a big cheer. Was it for us? Who knows but you certainly up your game just in case Smile. Cut off at the end to find we were in the finishing lane for the competitors!. Didn't hear the words stupid Gaijan and there were a few smiles. The Japanese are such polite people.
All in all, Happo One, as my first taste of Japanese skiing you confuse me a bit. This isn't what I am used to. Is it better, worst or just different? Let's see what tomorrow brings at Happo 47 linking to Goruyu. Two for the price of one Smile
latest report
Yeah..piste markers are non existent. Once you know where you are going you can usually avoid moguls, except for the bit at the very top lift which I think just gets cut up. The women's down hill in Happo is a great run, and always pisted as far as I know. Over in 47, make sure you do the red run back down to the gondola station on the 47 side. (Thinks it's either run number one or number 2). Lovely wide sweeping run. Shame it's warmed up!
snow report
Thanks Perty. Nice to have the sun but just a little too much. Will let you know how the run goes. Thing is that the have mountains up to 3000m here but resorts top out at 1500m max. Infrastructure?
snow conditions
Marketing Wink
snow conditions
Ski Day Two - Iwatake - Ok I know I said Hakuba 47 but at breakfast our host was offering us a lift to resort when we started talking to him about his own snow interest. Well he's a boarder and turns out that he is planning a trip to Iwatake with a friend. Seemed a shame to take him out of his way so kind of invited ourselves to join him and take the hassle out of dropping us elsewhere. So Iwatake with two boarders in tow, or us in tow with them, one or the other. Iwatake is a lot smaller than Happo and some of the others but also the cheapest pass. 2700 yen with a return voucher to bring it to 3000yen but that includes a 500yen meal voucher. So you can ski here for half the price of Happo, liking it already. First thing that strikes you is that the equipment is all a bit basic and rusty but it works. Up to the top and Taka proposes a quick run down to the nearest chair and it is quite fast. Up to the top again and this time a full run back to the bottom, again very fast. Well this sets the theme for the rest of the morning, up, fast run down one route or another and back up again without much of a breather. About 11 the snow starts getting sticky in places (did I mention it is another blue bird day). 11.30 and our hardworking boarders announce they are off to sort out their businesses so have a nice day and see you later. Well by now we had virtually done everything that was accessible including some that wasn't meant to be. However standing there making a plan we found that whilst this is a small resort every run is quite individual offering different scopes for enjoyment. So off we set, down red, down black, down green and always back to the top. In fact we were enjoying the variety so much we didn't stop until 14.05 for lunch only to find out they stop at 14.00 so snacks only. The snow was still very sticky in places but we were living with it. After lunch a few more trips around the runs when suddenly the snow starts improving again and gradually comes back to where it was in the morning just in time for the last run as they close earlier here at 16.00 hrs. Hmmm. However Kerenza and I are both in agreement that this has been a better day than Happo despite it's size and rusty equipment. Somehow this little resort packs in the variety and for anyone interested several areas for off piste. Move to the top of the list Iwatake. Tomorrow Hakuba47 and Goruyu. Promise
latest report
@Londonboy50, Lovin the report...pics would be nice Little Angel
snow report
Londonboy50 wrote:
...... Wondered who The Munchkin was for a while, thought maybe a drunken night best left forgotten (?) but then saw the tag at the bottom......

Yup its me!!! admin thought it amusing to change my username, such as he does wink

Your trip and the reports are awesome and as I said, so relevant as this is a place we will be visiting next season. Keep it coming and have a fantastic time in the process snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Fallen a bit behind in my reports exploring the various aspects. Been taking quite a few pics but still got to download them. Ski Day 3 - Hakuba47 and Goruyu. Taka kind enough to drop us off nice and early after a lovely breakfast of buckwheat pancakes stuffed with chicken (better than it may sound). First impressions are good as there is a lovely looking long red heading down to base and a fairly good looking six man gondola going up. Lift pass here is 4000 yen and up we go. As we start nearing the station there is a pretty smart looking snow park with half pipe (definitely the best we have seen so far) but closed today for maintenance. Sounds like we needed to be there yesterday or tomorrow. So quick run down on corduroy to the next chair lift with another attractive red coming down in front of us. Here they have off piste tree runs but you have to register first with the Hakuba47 club (not sure how or cost but there are signs telling you that). Top of the lift and we turn left onto the red we saw. It's nice, steep then flattens slightly, wide but then narrows, straight but then turns and then splits into two. Option 1 is straight down to the bottom and the run we saw there or left down a slightly hairy little steep bit back to the first chair. We take that option on this occasion. Back up and a short ski to the third lift being another chair which takes you pretty near the top and a chance to slip over to Goruyu if you want. At this stage we don't so we slip back down a fun green and then a choice of the red, black, double black or green. We take the black suspecting that the double black is an unpisted mogul field (it was). Nice black, bit like the red with some turns and various challenges, some nice drop off bits for those who want to and back to the middle chair lift or an option to take a green to the red. Back up and then the red back down to base. Nice run but now the snow is turning as I forgot to mention it is yet another blue bird day and it is warm to the point of hot, t shirt skiing. Unfortunately it is now 11.30 and the best of the skiing has been had for the day but the best of the runs for both resorts was that red and that black, both of which were the type you could happily spend some time on. The sun has turned the snow very heavy everywhere. We go over to Goruyu but find nothing to excite us apart from a bit of lunch and then bounced straight back to 47. Apart from those two runs you would have to place it behind Happo One but it may be unfair as we didn't explore the tress and the snow park was closed. Nice red and black though.
ski holidays

It is a lot steeper than this suggests
Home run
snow report
Tomorrow is our planned 'rest day'. Well visit snow monkey park, buddhist temple and sake factory day. We are on holiday after all and these blue bird days are taking their toll Smile
snow report
Such a shame the temperatures have gone up! Hope you are having fun all the same!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok couple of non skiing days. One planned, one weather driven. First the planned one. I never do this but actually it wasn't bad. Coach trip to visit the snow monkeys, walk up a valley, lots of wild monkeys and some taking advantage of the hot springs bath for warmth (very unusual behaviour for monkeys). Lunch at a Sake brewery with tasters. Visit to a very old Buddhist temple. All with a guide who filled us in on the facts but also about skiing locally. about £50 per person, maybe a bit steep but we are on holiday! Annoying thing is that it is not a blue bird day and you are constantly thinking is the snow any better without the sun beaming down on it. Next morning and it is persistent rain with fog / low cloud Sad. Very annoying this was yesterday's prediction. Quick juggle, plan another tourist day now and rearrange the tourist day at the end of the holiday into a ski day. Our Host helps us and arranges transfer changes and a room for us (busy as it is now going into Japan half term). So off we go on a local train to a wasabi farm, old shopping street, shinto temple (all others were buddhist) and a castle. Sorry but I love castles, imagination runs riot. So two tourist days done, extra skiing day arranged to compensate for the loss and we are good for tomorrow Smile Plan is Tsugaike but let's see, adaptability/flexibility is always good.
snow report
Sake brewery and wasabi factory. Not all bad then!
snow report
Ski Day 4 - Back to Happo One
Ok I know I said Tsugaike but weather played a part. Forecast said sunny but the window said cloudy and low cloud it was. Happo One being the highest got our vote. Started low and clear as a bell but you could see very little above the second lift so did a few runs low. Nice, nice snow but got bored so thought we would brave the unknown. Second lift and as we reached the top of it blue bird sky and sunshine. The cloud is sitting right below us. Will download the picture, amazing view. Stayed at the top for a few, got bored so braved the trip down. Cloud still siutting in the middle part so all the way to the bottom but a different part. Nice thing about this is that the snow is holding up. Stop for a quick cuppa (beer) at 12.30 and the cloud clears to blue skies. Did I mention I got a bit burnt after the first three days so my SH whatever which I usually wear around my neck now acts as a bandana. Obviously the price for sun is the snow gets heavy but not sticky. Skied around a bit, still moguls in certain areas so basher didn't bother to resolve that until cloud comes back at 3.45 so call it a day. An OK resort but still not a favourite.
snow report

Well above the clouds at Happo One, Japan

latest report
Ski Day 5 - Tsugaike. This is further away and from our place involves two buses but no drama as the free shuttles interconnect easily. However we get the bus at 08.35 but by time we arrive there is a big weekend queue for both passes(4000 yen) and the gondola. Gondola taking twenty minutes to the top and we are not ready for the first run until 10.20!!!!Our fault to a degree as we should have got the 07.35 because at 10.20 (you guessed it, blue bird day) the snow is already showing signs of being heavy. However this resort is showing signs of being different.To start there are people queuing at the gondola equipped to the hilt (rucksacks, shovels, snow shoes etc). There are a number of touring skiers making their way up the hill. There is a KFC at the mid point (some would like that) and there is a heliport at mid point ferrying people constantly to places unknown unobtainable by lifts. £80 per person for the helicopter not sure about KFC as didn't go there. So we start skiing down and the red is littered with beginners everywhere. Maybe we've gone the wrong way. Back up take a slightly different path but end up in the same place with the same result so decide to ski lower. We find a slightly fenced off area so decide to check it out and it appears to be some sort of snow park ( well it has some jumps) but it is also empty and has got virgin soft corduroy snow. Lovely let's get back up and make the most of this. Strange, not sure if we turned a sign on but suddenly more people are using it. We do a few but each time it is getting busier and now the beginners are starting to find there way in! We decide to venture further down and would you adam and eve it, there are massive snow fields well served by lifts perfect for beginners. WTF are they all doing up there on the red? Honestly these fields are big enough for 150 snowheads to ski in a line together all holding hands. Bemused we head off in search of the few other reds here and they are better, though heavy by now but no stickiness. We skied around for the day but the best red is littered with beginners all day but the other runs are OK and the snowfields are quite fun. A good resort and would rate high, just a bit far to be fair but I think it should be seriously explored by someone experienced in backpackers. The guys with rucksacks went up in the morning and we didn't see them again until virtually closing time. They must have been somewhere avoiding the beginners Smile
snow report
Sorry just reread that. Should have checked before posting. I meant back country skiing near the end not backpackers! Not even sure how that got there.
snow conditions
update.... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hi. Well spent the last few days chilling and drinking Smile. Ski Day 6 - Today was meant to be Cortina but everybody seems to be in agreement that whilst this is a good resort it needs afresh fall of snow and all we keep getting is sunshine Sad. So we head back to Iwatake. It's been our favorite to date and there is still a little to explore. The variety of runs are there and we make quick work of doing our favorites before the sun affects the snow. The two reds over the back are lovely and top class for variety. We explore the black with the option of moguls or off piste towards the end. We go for the off piste to drop down to the green (blue) and it's worth repeating. Whilst coming off the black I notice someone high on the opposing bank. Off Piste? No, there are two blacks over there, each side of a chair lift not being used. We work out how to get there and head over. It hasn't been pisted for a while if at all but both of these are lovely blacks, both different, one starts steep ad the other one finishes that way. Iwatake is not the biggest and no way could we do a week here but it is fantastic for it's diversity. Last time we were here we were so wrapped up in the runs we missed main lunch service and was left with snacks so go a bit earlier. They are stilled sold out of a few things but the choice is OK. Whilst we are eating there is an announcement that the gondola is closing!!! As we sit there no one seems bothered by the announcement so we sit tight and try to assess what is happening. One thing, ignore the lower runs in case we can't get back up! Basically we find that there are suddenly some very strong gusts of wind coming through the area and I mean strong enough to blow you backwards when you are standing still. Well that explains the closure but the chairs at the top are OK. Whilst skiing around we notice the gondola is starting and stopping depending on the wind but still try and avoid the bottom just in case but without that run the area becomes limited. Still another good day at Iwatake is had as we ski the area out on the upper levels.
snow report
As a note we are back now but will finish the last couple of days with you. Thanks for reading Smile
snow report
@Londonboy50, Toofy Grin
snow report
Ski Day 7 - It's SNOWING. Unlike me do not get too excited. First glance out of the window and it's snow, then I look and it has probably just started and it's not heavy. Worry is that it will provide enough cover to hide the horrible bits and not enough to give us the powder that Japan is famed for. Question is where to go? Last day, sprinkle of snow, changing weather. We decide to play it safe and go back to Iwatake. First mistake of the holiday. Visibility poor, icy corduroy under the sprinkle of snow, wander of the corduroy and bumpy, icy, uneven, lumpy, not nice. Visibility down to 15m in places and cold. Up and down a few times but they are not opening much up. The hope is for some of that sunshine to break through and soften things up a little so we stop for an early break to see what happens. Still not a lot happening and spot some Aussie seasonaires so look for advice. Basically they have the same plan as us so not a lot of help. Free wifi in the lodge so check the weather reports and they are not promising. We do a run to the bottom and at the very bottom it is a bit softer but that is only one bit. We check in Info and they tell us the other resorts are similar. Should we go Tsugaike, don't really fancy Happo One, maybe Cortina? Check with Info again and find that Cortina is now shut for the season, last day was yesterday! We take stock and reflect on our week. It has been great and a bad day, it wouldn't be the first time on a skiing holiday. Time to call it a day and be thankful for the time we've had because this has been a great experience.
snow report

Top of Gondolier to the left, chair lift to the right Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy