Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me replace my 203cm Rossignol SV4s

Poster: A snowHead
I must replace my beloved 203cm Rossignol 4SVs and despite exhaustive searching in this forum and the catalogues am bewildered by the choice. Please help me pick the right ski type and length.

I am on approximately level 8 Snow & Rock, 6' (181cm) tall, 13st (82kg). I am an experienced (25+yrs skiing), stylish, skier and like to be in perfect control - 90% of the people on the mountain always look out of control to me - but I'm not particularly fast. If powder is available I will ski it but most of my skiing will be on piste and there I like to short swing down the fall line or edge of the piste. I don't care for hardpack but 30cm of new snow or porridge is no problem.

When I've tried to test newer genre skis in resort, I've been disappointed by limited range available and not liked what I've been given.

A friend who knows my style well is suggesting Bandit B2 but Volk Allstar also sounds good to me - what do you recommend and what length? Thanks in advance for your advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parrotman, with your experience, I think the B2 might be a bit soft. I'd suggest the Atomic Metron B5 or Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel, and probably around a 170cm length.
Could I also suggest that once you get them, you take either a few group lessons, or at least one private lesson, so you can start to pick up some of the differences in ski technique that allow you to get more out of the newer ski shapes.

Oh, and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parrotman,

Welcome to snowHead

Sounds like a few generations of skis have passed by here...
The Volkl's sound good as do the Nordica's that the Fox mentions. but the key thing is that you may have
some ski skill updating to do here as well so try and pick a ski that is not out and out new school. You may need a ski that can skid a
bit, depends on your techique, but I would guess that the 4s' take a lot more work that the newer skis.

To give you an idea of skis that you might want to research/demo, I'd say, on you notes above..

K2 Apache, recon and crossfire
Nordica... as above top fuel, XBS etc.
Volkls
Dynastar 4800

And then there are good Atomics and Ficsher's but someone else will have to post about them...

You have quite a choice
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
parrotman wrote:
I like to short swing down the fall line or edge of the piste. I don't care for hardpack but 30cm of new snow or porridge is no problem.

Welcome parrotman! Sounds like you like your skis a little bit damp with a bit of rebound off the tail?

JT wrote:
And then there are good Atomics and Ficsher's but someone else will have to post about them...

SX:10, GS:9, Diran should work with his current technique, possibly even M:EX

but, more importantly parrotman, how recent are your boots?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome parrotman! Sounds like you like your skis a little bit damp with a bit of rebound off the tail?

SX:10, GS:9, Diran should work with his current technique, possibly even M:EX

but, more importantly parrotman, how recent are your boots?

Yes, indeed, I do like the rebound off the tail - so short swinging down the fall line is like winding up and then releasing a spring on each turn. No worries about the boots, just 2 seasons old and a reasonable compromise between comfort and performance - well able to drive the skis with this kind of skiing style. Thanks to everubody for the advice so far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parrotman, when you wind the spring up, do you do it by reaching far downhill with the poles?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, how do you feel about moguls?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 27-12-05 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parrotman, Where are you going for your next hols? If you check around you're bound to find lots of shops with a good choice of skis to try. I would not go for B2 - a very moderate ski IMO (I know it's one of my hobby horses!!) the thing is you should try lots of different skis out and also definitely take an "updating" lesson or 2 if needed. don't go for ski school though - private is a must for this.

You will change and find the right ski, and a whole new skiing life will be born Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(as an ex 2m, now 1m55 skier myself I can speak with authority!!!) Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex wrote:
parrotman, when you wind the spring up, do you do it by reaching far downhill with the poles?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, how do you feel about moguls?

No, I would not say I'm reaching far downhill with the poles unless on something exceptionally steep. I guess I am unweighting then weighting the skis quite aggressively, forcing them into pronounced negative camber through the turn, steering with the knees. I like moguls if the snow is good and will go and look for them. I have a tidy, if undramatic, two-footed technique through them. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
parrotman, Where are you going for your next hols? If you check around you're bound to find lots of shops with a good choice of skis to try. I would not go for B2 - a very moderate ski IMO (I know it's one of my hobby horses!!) the thing is you should try lots of different skis out and also definitely take an "updating" lesson or 2 if needed. don't go for ski school though - private is a must for this.

You will change and find the right ski, and a whole new skiing life will be born Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(as an ex 2m, now 1m55 skier myself I can speak with authority!!!) Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK, you're the second person voting against the Bandit B2. That's useful, I will rule them out! 155? I don't want to go too short, I'm quite a big bloke and when I've tried short carvers I found them horribly unstable at even modest speed. My next hols are in Mottaret at the end of January.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parrotman,
Quote:

I've tried short carvers I found them horribly unstable at even modest speed

The trouble with carvers is that you have to keep them....carving Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parrotman wrote:
155? I don't want to go too short, I'm quite a big bloke and when I've tried short carvers I found them horribly unstable at even modest speed.[/color]

As I said above, I think 170 would be about right for you (anywhere 165 - 172 ish), and please, have a couple of lessons!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, it sounds like he's pretty well balanced and good at soft-edge drifts, reckon a 4800 in 178cm would be too long for lessons?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parrotman, Yes - 155 would be too short for you, but I'm on 1m65 and 55 kilos. The point being that the change can be dramatic. Carvers are not stable in a straight line, but if kept on their edges are much more stable in the turn than the old straight skis. However, that lesson to update your technique is a must. What are suggestesd on the whole are more all mountain skis though, which will be OK on the straights, decent on piste and off. If not too wide should also be OK for moguls. Watch the tip width for mogul skiing though - my Fischer WCs have trouble both getting through the troughs at the same time!!! Shocked Shocked

You could consider the Head Monster - that seems to be a pretty stable ski all round, and a little less dramatically different to ski on than some modern skis!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, have you tried the im 72? How available would something like that be in Mottaret?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, it sounds like he's pretty well balanced and good at soft-edge drifts, reckon a 4800 in 178cm would be too long for lessons?

Possibly not, BUT... If he goes for a longer ski, he may spend more time skiing it in the old style. This may make him feel that the newer skis aren't worth it, because they offer nothing new, but are just worse than the old.
If he goes shorter, then he will be almost forced into changing his style to get the better performance out of the skis. Perhaps after a couple of years, then maybe go up to a 178, but not necessarily. (all I've done is go shorter each time as my technique has improved)
ski holidays
Everybody - thank you for responding and your advice. There is still a huge range from which to choose but I have a much better idea now, at the very least about what NOT to choose. I shall indeed take some private tuition on converting 'old school' to 'new school'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy