Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding settings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies in advance if this is a bit of a long / daft question.

I ski a fair bit and am finding increasingly that when I come out of my piste skis I sprain my knee. I don't fall often on piste - maybe once per 3 weeks' skiing, but when I do my knee feels twisted and then takes a day or two to settle down. I am 190 cm, 78kg and 319 bsl, and set my skis at 8. Any lower than that and they tend to fall off. I am on 193 Fischer Worldcup GS boards with FR17 bindings.

Is there anything I can do to improve things, or do you think this is a function of the release setting? I would prefer not to drop the DIN as when at 7 I tend to lose them a few times a day, invariably when I'm moving quite quickly, which can be quite unpleasant!

I ski my off piste skis at 7 but don't pop them nearly as much as I think I generate bigger forces on the gs skis.

Any views would be gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Binding settings are a compromise between low and high speed falls. What you might do is have the current bindings tested to ensure they function correctly. You might also want to have a play with the assorted DIN setting apps on the interweb.

From the numbers above 7 comes out on the app on my phone assuming you are an export \ aggressive skier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
W94, They are race skis, if you are skiing at race speeds on hard snow then they will need the bindings set higher than suggested by the DIN chart. If you are not racing then use different skis.

Standard male formula for race bindings is to set them to your weight in stone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, I agree - either crank up the din - about 10/11 and race them hard, or get a more 'all mountain' solution with a bit more forgiveness. I think you are asking the equipment to compromise. Soul 7s ???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I have the same problem with more standard piste skis: if anything I find I pop Worldcup RCs (which I also have and use mostly for teaching) at even higher RVs. I think this is because the radius is more aggressive, which results in bigger forces. They hurt equally when they release in a fall. I am not racing on either, I just prefer the stability and grip of the GSs for general on piste skiing.

I guess that,as @AndAnotherThing.., says, the setting is a compromise and if I don't want them to fall off when skiing normally I will have to put up with the twinges when they do need to come off. Still interested to hear if anyone else has the same issue, though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
W94, Stop falling over.

I'm the same height and weight as you and have several pairs of Fischer WC SL and GS. I find it hard to bend GS 188s, particularly on soft snow, I race on 183s now, I wouldn't want 193s. The bindings on my SLs release fine at DIN 12 if I straddle a gate with no discomfort, not come out of the bindings on any of the GS pairs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First question to anyone asking if their DIN setting needs adjusting: is your forward pressure setting correct? If not, then the DIN setting might show correct but will release at the wrong point.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 6-03-15 8:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A deliberately rhetorical question or two, or three, or four....................

Why would a supposedly quality binding pre-release, especially one in all likelihood set at a much higher setting than it should intelligently be?

What binding of all bindings has the highest elasticity both in the toe and heel?

What binding of all bindings has the smoothest, most unencumbered lateral release on the market?

What binding of all bindings with the highest elasticity, the smoothest lateral release on the market allows most skiers to be able to lower their DIN chart setting should they choose and not pre-release?

Have a nice day................................

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 6-03-15 4:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooo this could be good...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
equinoxranch wrote:
Why would a supposedly quality binding pre-release, especially one in all likelihood set at a much higher setting than it should intelligently be?

Simply because forces are too high ;) I'm often getting feeling, people don't really know what DIN with bindings mean. Just to make it clear, DIN is standard telling that all bindings following this standard will release at exactly same force when set to same "number". This means all bindings, Fischer/Head/Elan/Tyrolia, Atomic, Rossignol, Marker... will release at exactly same force when set for example to 10.
On the other hand, DIN doesn't mean that 80kg skier should have binding set to 8, or to 6 or to 12. Setting binding to right value is much too complicated to be able to create some chart, which would work for everyone. It depends on skiers weight, skiers size, boot size, ski knowledge, style and speed, terrain where skiing and conditions on it. And on the end, what skier prefer. For some easier release is priority, for some they rather risk some injury and prevent too easy release, because it might be too dangerous, or simply, because this might lower their chances for winning gold on Olympics ;)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy