Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2015 / 2016 ski touring kit wider skis, better bindings, one ski is all you need!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week was on the SIGB ski test and due to the weather (snow and bad viz) I concentrated on touring kit, or should say touring kit that is now all you need to ski off piste!

I spent a lot of the time using Marker KingPins on a number of skis and fell for some lovely new boots that came home with me.

It was good talking to retailers, designers (Marker KingPin and Scott) and numerous others in the industry and Kuhtai (where the Jump is filmed) is a great location with loads of interesting terrain.

It was ironic in that I was actually looking forward to trying more piste orientated skis, anyway article is here
http://www.stylealtitude.com/ski-touring-the-percentage-game.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-03-15 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great write up

thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, interesting, thanks. How do the Cascade 110s compare to the Powdairs? Particularly interested in how stiff they are and whether they're flappy on hard snow/crud
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sharkymark, just back from a sublime slack country couple of hours on the Powdairs, which I decided to take out as the last couple of days I've been on some Black Diamond Aspects.

Straight off the Powdairs do not like anything rock solid below them, once we dropped below the still frozen wind crud they were lovely and after a superb run (OH saying best spring snow ever) they were lovely and then skiing back down the slushy pistes they handled that really well too, more due to the width I suspect.

The Cascade's were a lovely ski, but then I too had great conditions. If I had been using them yesterday, on hard icy traverses, think I may well have thrown my rattle out of the pram, and like I say in the article that's the rub.

If I was only able to have one ski then it would be the Cascade mounted with KingPins or next season's Dynafit Rad Two's, and a tech fitted boot that was more biased to down than the up - then you'd have a great ski for off piste as well as for touring in winter snow but maybe not for Spring ?

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been on Powdairs for 3 years or so and such a versatile ski and thinking of the Cascades this time next year to complement them. Having had a wiggle, my man on the inside reckons the Cascades aren't that stiff and your experiences appear to confirm it. Sounds like a great soft snow tourer option though; may see if I can get on a pair in 2 weeks Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite chuffed just had a great response to the article from Mr Dynafit - Fritz Barthel - who is just back from ski touring in Crete - have asked him if I can "reprint" his response which is quite interesting with quotes such as......

"For reasons I don´t know people assume that I could tell them something about skis, which one to take etc. No idea. My answer usually is “as long as they are longer than wide……”

Plus the Cretan photos are brilliant !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy