Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good avalanche beacon review.

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Avalanche-Beacon-Reviews

The graph setting survival against time is sobering.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you see that graph?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its on the overview tab of the review, in the "A Note on Wearing an Avalanche Beacon" section, about 20% down the page.

I also like this site beaconreviews.com
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ahhh, thanks!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WOW this is interesting..

quote:
There have been at least two high profile deaths in the last three years because a cell phone interfered with the wearer's beacon. At least one of these cell phones was off.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
WOW this is interesting..

quote:
There have been at least two high profile deaths in the last three years because a cell phone interfered with the wearer's beacon. At least one of these cell phones was off.

Hmm - will have to adjust as I normally store my phone (switched off) in my inside pocket. I guess backpack a safer option. I'd like to understand the rationale behind that though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche beacons work by detecting the field lines of the transmitting beacon. Practically any metal will cause a distortion in this field, leading to a reduction in range/accuracy. Any metal should be at least 30cm away from the beacon, as phones, Go-pros, knives, even energy gels packs can be demonstrated to effect the field. Black Diamond heated gloves carry a warning that if the gloves are turned on, detection accuracy may be limited to 50cm. So no electronics, metal or magnetic items.

Taken to its extreme, if you placed your beacon in an earthed ferrous metal box, you would have practically zero range.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Taken to its extreme, if you placed your beacon in an earthed ferrous metal box, you would have practically zero range.

Not only the range but also the registered distance is affected. The BCA Tracker 2's maximum signal detection distance for a transmitting Mammut Barryvox inside a microwave oven is 7-8 metres but it actually registered that distance as 32 metres.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross wrote:
Quote:

Not only the range but also the registered distance is affected. The BCA Tracker 2's maximum signal detection distance for a transmitting Mammut Barryvox inside a microwave oven is 7-8 metres but it actually registered that distance as 32 metres.

Thank you for that practical demonstration of my comment. Next time I take my microwave into avalanche terrain to make some hot snacks, I'll make sure my Barryvox is not in it wink

In all seriousness, it does amaze me the number of people I see with a beacon correctly strapped to their chest, but then place a switched on mobile in a chest pocket, and then a chest mounted Go-Pro with all 3 practically on top of each other.

It is easier to demonstrate interference with a Barryvox, due to the matrix display. Put the Barryvox in send mode, then place a switched on smartphone on top of it. You will probably see a 457 Send Failure message, moving the phone away clears the message. Since most other beacons do not have matrix screens, they are limited in the type of message they can display, so it is not clear that they are being effected.

This is a dedicated Mammut, showing such a failure site: http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com/2012/10/mammut-pulse-457-send-failure.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've sometimes wondered how quickly the signal would be lost if I turned the microwave oven on. Toofy Grin I think it would be a one time experiment though and as I still use the Barryfox for practice searches, not one I'm likely to perform. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm very surprised the 3+ came so low down. I find the fine search and multiple burrial features excellent
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moffatross, where do you find to plug the microwave in when you are out skiing?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:
I'm very surprised the 3+ came so low down. I find the fine search and multiple burrial features excellent

I find the multiple burial function to be quite buggy. Once I've marked the first victim, direction and distance to the next nearest victim is not as accurate. It gets worse for the third victims and so on. There is a firmware update to fix this but the dealers listed on the Ortovox site who have the hardware to do the update in Chamonix were mystified when I went in to have my 3+ updated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jbob, haha !! Next time it snows in Moffat, perhaps mrs moffatross will find me burying the microwave in the garden. Madeye-Smiley

I'd love to understand the phenomenon that makes the signal distance detected drop by a factor of 4x. The box/mesh of the oven is designed to reflect/contain 100% of microwave radiation with a mesh of just a few mm but the wavelength of an avalanche transceiver signal is hundreds of metres long so there'll be a lot of diffraction. How that might affect the reading, I don't know but I guess Haggis_Trap could probably answer that in his professional capacity.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm no expert but I guess the distance is not triangulated but calculated on signal strength, which is attenuated (weakened) by the mesh.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
... The box/mesh of the oven is designed to reflect/contain 100% of microwave radiation with a mesh of just a few mm but the wavelength of an avalanche transceiver signal is hundreds of metres long so there'll be a lot of diffraction.
The wavelength and the grating have to be of the same order, from what I recall of my school physics.
So Microwaves don't get through because they're cm and your mesh is mm; radio waves are longer wavelength => there will be less diffraction/ less transmission. It's a Faraday cage.

The other stuff with mobile phones... well you're looking at crosstalk I suppose plus the business of the mobile could cause some trouble I suppose. Real off piste people would be be no where near a cell tower anyway wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy