Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Hero

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not being 100% on this sort of thing, my daughters bought me one for Christmas (inspired by my oldest who fancies seeing her skiing recorded Smile). So I bought the memory card, configured it and got it linked to my phone. The next thing I need to figure is what is the best mounting? To give me a choice I purchased a multi set from Amazon and tried out the chest one on a recent trip. OK so I forgot to wipe the cover when it was snowing but that aside I wasn't overally happy with the results. so two questions:-
1. What is the best way to mount it
2. I used my phone to turn it on and off which involved taking my gloves on then on again, a bit of a cerfuffle (?). What's the easiest way of turning ot on and off? I tried turning it off by pressing the top button but I don't think it worked as when I tried to use it in the afternoon the battery had expired.
Any advice in getting the best results the easiest way appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On your head is much more stable than your chest.

Just push the button on top and listen for the beep/three beeps. If you can't hear it, you haven't done it right!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(1) It depends what you want to show. Most skiers would use a helmet mount, although poles are also good and many skiers carry a pair.
(2) Just set it on "one button mode" and then switch it on only when you need it. That's one press to powers it up and starts recording, one more to power it down again. That way you end up with lots of small clips containing mostly useful stuff (much easier to edit), and your battery will last a lot longer.

More generally, look at footage you like, work out what they did, and copy that. Shoot "Protune" and crank the exposure up between 1/2 and 1 stop as auto exposure needs to be told you're shooting snow. Oh, and avoid buying accessories if you can as they're mostly completely pointless.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
On your head is much more stable than your chest.

Just push the button on top and listen for the beep/three beeps. If you can't hear it, you haven't done it right!

I did that. Maybe not correctly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
(1) It depends what you want to show. Most skiers would use a helmet mount, although poles are also good and many skiers carry a pair.
(2) Just set it on "one button mode" and then switch it on only when you need it. That's one press to powers it up and starts recording, one more to power it down again. That way you end up with lots of small clips containing mostly useful stuff (much easier to edit), and your battery will last a lot longer.

More generally, look at footage you like, work out what they did, and copy that. Shoot "Protune" and crank the exposure up between 1/2 and 1 stop as auto exposure needs to be told you're shooting snow. Oh, and avoid buying accessories if you can as they're mostly completely pointless.

Sorry phil but you lost me. 'one button mode' 'Protune'. How do you edit?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it's best mounted on the helmet. I took some footage using the chest mount recently and I found it tricky to get decent shots when following someone or skiing beside them, for obvious reasons. Easy to swivel your head around while skiing but tricky to do the same with your chest unless you want to come a cropper. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trouble with helmet mounting is it flattens out the landscape even more than usual. What's actually best is to have a mix of mounts, as otherwise your edits will be unbelievably boring.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Londonboy50,
Quote:
inspired by my oldest who fancies seeing her skiing recorded
I thought I was a very good skier until I saw my self on a go Pro! Ouch! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to say that I prefer a chest mount to a head mount. You have to make sure that you have the correct fitting (J clamp?) otherwise you will only be recording your skis and your boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The chest mount wasn't bad, just made me feel I was in a child's harness and I could at least see the buttons. If only I knew which buttons to press Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have one (bought 2nd hand on here) mainly for videoing the kids rather than ego-shots. As a result, I find a pole mount (cheap knockoff from ebay for a few quid) is by far the best option. You can get a big variety of shots - up really close, overhead, from the ground (gives a better sense of perspective), fly-by, underneath jumps etc.

I find that the wide angle nature of the lens means you do need to get quite close if its people you're recording, doing this with a head or chest mount is impossible.

I've just finished editing last year's clips and am starting on this year's; I find that I actually use about 5% of what I shoot (>1hr clips gives about 3mins of video). I use the one-button recording option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Londonboy50 wrote:

2. I used my phone to turn it on and off which involved taking my gloves on then on again, a bit of a cerfuffle (?). What's the easiest way of turning ot on and off? I tried turning it off by pressing the top button but I don't think it worked as when I tried to use it in the afternoon the battery had expired.
Any advice in getting the best results the easiest way appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation

I have a GoPro Hero 3 black edition and it comes with a remote control which you sync to the unit and is very handy. It has an LCD screen which shows the same information as the unit. I'm not too sure if the other models (silver & white) can utilise the remote. It also comes with a keyring which you can attach to a suitable point on your jacket.

As for batteries, I would advise buying a few spare as they don't last long at all, especially in the cold mountain climate.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy