Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dick of the Day

Poster: A snowHead
Sat on the terrace at Pralonga and someone managed to ski into me! There isnt even a run there just the top of 2 lifts. Had to be English most apologetic. Its just embarasing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty. His comment was its my first of the week to which I replied Let it be your last! Not hurt beyond a bruised mastoid and he ruined the photo I was taking of my wife.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did he mow her down too?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was me and a large wooden table protecting her.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RussellT wrote:
...Its just embarasing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty.

lol!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
un pain wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two weeks ago i was skinng with my son in Kronplatz first thing in the morning so only the two of us on this beutifull wide run and yes i got hit by this pr--ck that came from i dont know where , well i got it all on the go pro and the language that came out off my mouth cannot be described anyway my son restrained me and said i think i better edit the go pro with some music Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RussellT wrote:
embarrassing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty.

What sort of bread was he, brown, white, wholemeal?
Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RussellT wrote:
..... Had to be English most apologetic. Its just embarasing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty......

Some people just don't use their loaf properly! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blockhead wrote:
Two weeks ago i was skinng with my son in Kronplatz first thing in the morning so only the two of us on this beutifull wide run and yes i got hit by this pr--ck that came from i dont know where , well i got it all on the go pro and the language that came out off my mouth cannot be described anyway my son restrained me and said i think i better edit the go pro with some music Toofy Grin
. OOOOhhh! You gotta post the footage here Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RussellT, not sure why you think he's a dick instead of just an out-of-control skier unless you know, definitively, that he skied into you with intent?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And you were fairly rude, too, when he apologised.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
RussellT wrote:
embarrassing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty.

What sort of bread was he, brown, white, wholemeal?
Toofy Grin

Ciabatter Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nah, this could be a long running thread.

Last Saturday's dick of the day. Older Swiss gentleman who in order to make room for this wive to sit bumped my young daughter off the ledge you can sit on in the back of the jumbo up from La Chaux (Verbier). Daughter in tears, other half very angry. Me oblivious because I go to the centre as I hate the swing over the pylons. Practically tried to run off at exit time when he realised I was with other half.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First post- you rude tosser.

Verbier - push him back next time.
ski holidays
@ALQ, Laughing
latest report
I'd just like to point out that all these dicks in the above stories were skiers not snowboarders. NehNeh
latest report
@geepee, I was hoping you would appreciate that 'gem' Laughing
(/salute to the punmeister)
snow report
Is snow rage catching on like road rage. We all learnt, got out of control now and again, banged into people. Didn't we?
latest report
What never? Well, hardly ever.
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000, I was never out of control. I meant to knock all those kids over. In fairness I was the same age. But we were all dicks to each other. All the time.
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Is snow rage catching on like road rage. We all learnt, got out of control now and again, banged into people. Didn't we?

We do not bang or crash into others it's just "rubbing" and rubbing is skiing wink
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
RussellT, not sure why you think he's a dick instead of just an out-of-control skier unless you know, definitively, that he skied into you with intent?

I think you're a dick if you're out of control and don't take a sacrificial fall before hitting anyone else.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

I think you're a dick if you're out of control and don't take a sacrificial fall before hitting anyone else.

Your comments on other similar threads indicate your aggressive stance towards 'perpetrators' of accidents.

Taking a sacrificial fall is just not that simple because some people panic when they are out of control and are unable to think about throwing themselves to the ground since they are too busy trying to stay on their feet. These two actions are, obviously, in conflict.

We all know that people lose control on the mountain, that is the reality of our sport, and there is not much we can do about it without instituting draconian measures. Personally, I'd like to see less aggression on the mountain (and here) because it neither serves a valuable purpose nor solves the problem.

Disclaimer: I have never lost control and skied into anyone.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

Your comments on other similar threads indicate your aggressive stance towards 'perpetrators' of accidents.

Taking a sacrificial fall is just not that simple because some people panic when they are out of control and are unable to think about throwing themselves to the ground since they are too busy trying to stay on their feet. These two actions are, obviously, in conflict.

We all know that people lose control on the mountain, that is the reality of our sport, and there is not much we can do about it without instituting draconian measures. Personally, I'd like to see less aggression on the mountain (and here) because it neither serves a valuable purpose nor solves the problem.

Disclaimer: I have never lost control and skied into anyone.

There is too much aggression on crowded slopes.

Here's an example. Guy swerves to avoid being hit. He then skis into a child who skis out from dad who's stopped right in the middle of the slope. Dad completely over-reacts....

http://youtube.com/v/d9kYqRyPT-E

I was taken out twice on my recent trip. On one occasion it bloody hurt and I face planted. Did I get angry? No. Did they mean it? No. Is it part of skiing? To a point. Are people who crash into others dicks? Generally not. Are people who call people who crash into them dicks too sensitive and aggressive? Generally yes.
snow report
@Zero_G, +1
ski holidays
+2
snow conditions
I'm not sensitive or aggressive, but yesterday I did swear at the snowboarder who put me in hospital with a suspected broken rib, thankfully not broken, but very painful, and can't ski today.

I think it's about knowing your limitations, if you can't ski/ board well, don't go ridiculously fast.

Nothing against boarders, quite a few dangerous skiers as well yesterday.

I did accept his apology though, always polite!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some collisions are certainly caused by dicks.
snow report
I admit to swearing loudly out of surprise/shock when people have come close to colliding with me but never abused them nor come onto sH to call them dicks. There's just no point when it's an accident.
latest report
pam w wrote:

Agreed, but most are just someone having a wobble and getting it wrong or just plain bad luck. I did find, on the recent Dolomite trip, the level of piste etiquette was the highest I'd seen. I guess there's a generally more mature skier or boarder as opposed to some resorts which cater for a younger audience. I think piste grooming and better skis have also reduced the number of collisions. Twenty years ago, I remember seeing loads of collisions on a ski holiday where as I see far less now. I don't know if the proportion of accidents per 1000 skiers has decreased in the same period. Europe doesn't seem to have the piste patrol police like North America. I'm not sure if this makes it any more dangerous.

Some resorts limit the number lift tickets sold in a day which has got to help safety. Some are also better at publicising slope rules and putting up warning signs etc.

In my experience, probably the the cause of most accidents I've seen is someone attempting a slope that's beyond their capabilities. This can be over confidence or simply a slope changing in gradient/conditions further down. I remember my first skiing holiday where we all skied a long blue at the end of day the day in Andorra. We all skied it so well and enjoyed it so much we sped up the first lift in the morning to do it again. It had been bashed, had frozen over and was five times a quick. We all set off and couldn't stop. Complete carnage all the way down as a party of thirty English school kids wiped out all before us. I guess this is why school kids are only allowed to ski under supervision of instructors nowdays....
snow report
pam w wrote:

Well, yes, statistically, a proportion of the human population is made up of dicks. Therefore, there are bound to be dicks on the mountain and some of them will cause collisions but I still don't believe that anyone intends to do so, whether a natural born dick or not Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
An intentional crash would be criminal rather than dickish
Rudeness to an out of control beginner is definitely dickish.
ski holidays
I think if you crash into someone you should take it for granted they will be angry and probably swear etc. But stay polite apologise offer to help them and most will after the initial shock calm down and accept the apology ( or at least I hope they would ).
snow report
Honestly if you witnessed the incident you would have called him a dick. To be fair he seemed a genuine guy who fully accepted that he had been a dick to have such an avoidable accident. I was hoping that he was a fellow Snow Head and I was teasing him rather than be verbally aggresive. Here is a link to the photo he ruined

https://image_twitter.com/turborussell/status/571691664210833409

Oh and sorry re "bread" brain was on holiday.
latest report
RussellT wrote:
Sat on the terrace at Pralonga and someone managed to ski into me! There isnt even a run there just the top of 2 lifts. Had to be English most apologetic. Its just embarasing to be from the same country that bread such a numpty. His comment was its my first of the week to which I replied Let it be your last! Not hurt beyond a bruised mastoid and he ruined the photo I was taking of my wife.
They apolagise, and explain they have no experience? so really a beginner , and we don't know the situation , yet everyone agrees this person is a dick. I would put it down to misfortune, and as they were sorry for the crash well, I would hardly call them a dick, so glad you weren't hurt, also so glad you were always perfect that you immediatly consider the person a dick. From your post, I wouldn't be calling the beginner a numpty.
snow report
@biddpyat, you apparently haven't read the thread rolling eyes
snow conditions
When working I obviously witness this a lot. Too many people these days enjoy using other slope users as if hey are objects to slalom around, which is a shame for some of the more nervous skiers who often lose control as a result. More often than not people appear to ski close to others on purpose even when the pistes are quieter. This I do not like at all and I do feel that it is stupid and dangerous. When teaching children I am especially concerned by a lot of the people I see passing my class. I am often skiing switch and I see people making the most ridiculous moves behind clients continuously. These people are not planning far enough ahead or at a speed where they are unable to change pace and/or direction quickly enough to avoid a collision. Those carrying a lot of speed I have no sympathy for in the event of a crash but when they cause a collision I do worry for the other slope users. I have seen brutal crashes with young children being taken off in a chopper with head trauma due to OOC adults skiing/boarding into them. Snow sports are serious and very dangerous during the holidays and more people need to realise and respect that fact, just putting on a helmet doesnt suddenly make us all invincible.

People out there are being dangerous on skis, a lot of them are. Lots of these are kids whose parents are not teaching them to control speed on crowded slopes or find it amusing and often video them skiing straight down the beginner areas in a huge plow!? (I see this all the time and its just stupidity of the highest order, lots of fun and laughs until a huge crash/collision). Others are low to intermediate skiers who are losing control on a regular basis yet have not pre booked lessons and cant then find one in resort during the peak weeks. Or think they can manage without lessons therefore putting themselves and other users of the slopes in danger.

Why go on a skiing holiday and not learn how to actually perform well a the sport, or at least well enough to ski with control and RESPECT for other slope users.

When people have collided with anyone I ski with I will tell them to be more careful. I am likely to tell them in a certain tone of voice and make sure they are aware of how to properly use the slope. If they have lost control I suggest they ski somewhere easier or get a lesson to help them ski in control. Having skied over 200 weeks in my 18 years on the slopes I have not had a single collision even as a child, I ski in control. Now I am capable of skiing fast of course but I dont during the holidays on a crowded piste. There is time and a place for that.

Yes some incidents cannot be avoided but so many could be so I dont just let is slide when someone causes an accident I try to educate them!! Being out of control is no real excuse, certainly not when it is occurring all of the time I see so many accidents due to lack of control on all levels of terrain.

I have rarely had to lose my temper but when someone is clearly skiing like an idiot on a crowded slope I do, that could be a 5 year old I am teaching that they hit who is very vulnerable. Or when someone jumps from off piste to piste without looking. Or when they are up the hill out of control with their mates or family attempting to teach them. I tell them to head to the ski school and book into a class or suggest some easier terrain.

I agree we cant always go on a huge rant and lose our temper but when you look at some people lack of awareness or responsibility they need to be told and some take more to get the message through to than others. Each situation is of course unique and thankfully more often than not everyone is fine and if everyone is apologetic and nice you can shrug it off perhaps suggesting the individual who caused the accident skis elsewhere more suitable or simply that they pay better attention.
latest report
Pic taken near enough from where you get of the lift. I was sat with my back to the piste at the corner where the people are stood. Obviously where I went wrong ZeroG but I didnt want the sun in my eyes.

https://twitter.com/turborussell/status/571702046266695680

[/url]
snow report
Guys typically push themselves onto hard terrain way too early on (or people taking teaching their mates who have no idea where to start and just take them up the chairlift...) So many avoidable accidents. I could compare it to getting in a car for your second driving lesson and just heading onto a crowded motorway. You wouldn't do it yet we put people on skis and they make some very poor choices. Maybe you dont describe these individuals as a dick but when they hurt themselves or worse someone else what are they then?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy