Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OTG goggles - equipment review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As an acute myopic, I wear glasses all the time. I have not had laser surgery for correcting vision, for a whole series of reasons, including the impact of lower pressure on vision after laser correction - ref the awful experience of Beck Weathers in the High Ranges. I climb and ski extensively, and so need a variety of goggles. I was an early adopter of OTG goggles, since I found that even in England, on the hills, they mitigated the problems of steaming up, and smearing with rain, which affected ordinary glasses. I recently have had some interesting experiences with OTG models, and I describe them here. There are few decent reviews by hardcore users, and the reviews below try to correct that.

I use a medium helmet, so not outrageously big - GIRO (Fuse and G10) and POC (Receptor Bug and Receptor Backcountry MIPS). Giro have rubber rear retaining strap. POC have that flimsy push-on plastic retaining clip.

Scott UNLTD OTG goggles - average; flimsy. 50gbp
A very lightweight OTG with good internal volume to avoid glasses hitting the lens. Good 'glasses slots' at side to cope with arms of glasses, and no wiggling of the glasses by the goggles. Reasonable interface with helmet, no large gaper-gap, but not entirely snug.
Double lens.
Reasonable field of vision, but much reduced compared with Oakley Canopy and Bolle Emperor.
Lens: Scott Amplifier lens tint 32pc transmission. Good low light definition.
Features: strap which needed additional elastic insert sewn in to ensure that it fitted over a POC receptor helmet.
Rather flimsy goggle surround - foam has held up well though.
Not my goggles of choice, but a reasonable offer.

Scott Notice OTG - promised much delivered little. 80gbp
I was excited by these when I first got them since they had a photochromatic lens; handy for a wider range of conditions. Light sensitive Amp Bronze Chrome - 14-45pc transmission, which is an impressive range. The lens worked well in very low light, with excellent enhancement and definition. Also responded quite quickly to higher light conditions, working well in Easter sun.
Double lens. Good internal volume with nice volume adjustment, but I simply set this to the biggest volume and left it there, and don't notice the absence of this feature on other good goggles. As with UNLTD, good 'glasses slots' at side to cope with arms of glasses, and no wiggling of the glasses by the goggles. Reasonable interface with helmet, no large gaper-gap, but not entirely snug.
Reasonable field of vision, but much reduced compared with Oakley Canopy and Bolle Emperor.
Strap simply weird - too short for GIRO or POC, bulky rubber connector at the rear which didn't work with any goggle retaining strap, GIRO, POC or other. A strange rubber connector was included, which bridged the connectors on the end of the elastic, making the strap longer for larger helmets, but this was incredibly heavy and bulky.
As with the UNLTD, simple sewed in an additional piece of elastic and all was well; but should you have to do this on a high end goggle? No.
After two months, these goggles started to steam up badly the moment the sun came out - condensation between the inner and outer lens, so impossible to rectify. This was not caused by snow melting into the lens vents after any falls or blown snow gathering in the vents - a common problem, but not in this case. It was difficult to see where the moisture could be coming from, since the goggles were always kept carefully dry and stored thoughtfully.
And then the photochromic layer began to separate, creating small bubbles over the entire inner surface of the lens. This seriously impaired vision.
I contacted Scott, the goggles went back to Scott UK, and I have heard nothing for two months. The returns guy's phone always says 'leave a message' - so I do, and then no response. Absolutely dreadful customer service. A total waste of 80gbp. Recommended? Avoid.

Oakley Canopy - impressive but not perfect - 82gbp rrp 130gbp
These are HUGE. Excellent field of vision. On the heavy side, but beautifully made. Reek of Oakley quality. Big internal volume so no interference at all with glasses frames. No dedicated slots for glasses arms but no issue at all, no jiggling of glasses by goggles by moving head etc.
Fire Iridium Lens, 13pc transmission CAT3 - excellent preservation, indeed enhancement, of contrast - excellent for bright light days in late season - which is why I wanted them.
There is some concern on all Oakley's about the durability of the inner lens coating - lots of warnings about 'do not wipe when wet' etc. in the manual. So...have avoided doing this.
Mirror lens the usual antisocial appearance and impact, but very cool.
Incredible field of vision, due to size. This is a real asset of these goggles.
I have a medium face, and while these have a reasonable helmet interface, they press down on the middle section of my nose. I can get used to this, but it's noticeable. Not 'fit and forget', since the goggles do press on the nose constantly, albeit not painfully.
Elastic is incredibly strong. This is not a good thing, since you have to have muscles of Mick McManus to get them off your face to sit on the top of your helmet. And then they are too slack when you take them off the helmet and into the 'skiing position'. Oakley think they have done a good job by having industrial strength elastic but it's actually a pain.
And yes, they have put the adjusters in a place where they interfere with the goggle strap/clip. Silly. Oakley should know better.
Again, got out the sewing kit and let in a small piece of elastic to get a better interface with the retaining clip.
No fogging, no condensation between lens.
These are well thought out, well built goggles. A few niggles, then. Good value at 82gbp - rrp110. Recommended.

Bolle Emperor OTG - surprise winner - 68gbp rrp 84gbp
Not as big as the Oakleys - but really excellent wide angle of view.
Big internal volume, so no tapping of parts of glasses frames against any part of the goggles lens.
Blue mirror aurora lens - antisocial mirror finish - CAT2 42pc transmission - good for low light and bright days - used them in zero viz 2m view fog - excellent. High definition and good preservation of colour. Worked well on the few bright days we had.
Helmet interface better than anything I have ever used - the vents on the top coincide with the down vents in the POC, which is great.
Zero gaper-gap - in fact glue-like interface with no gap at all anywhere. Impressive.
Elastic just right - easy to pull goggle into rest position on top of helmet, and then 'just right' tightness when back on face.
No need to get sewing kit out, this strap works perfectly including good interface with helmet strap/clip at rear.
Sit on face perfectly, despite very large volume. Pressure falls on bridge of nose, which is good, and lower edge of frame sits nicely on top of cheekbones. Perfect.
No fogging, no condensation on inner - gore tex vent works?
Dedicated slots at side, no interference with glasses.
These are absolutely great - not top dollar cost and worth every penny. I have been reaching for these in preference to the Oakleys.
Stand out winner. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a good review i always go by reccommendation I think we should have more reviews on equipment on this forum.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, good info, thanks. I wear contacts, but you never know...

@blockhead, there are quite a few reviews floating around. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=7
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice review @valais2. *Personally* I think the key to good OTG goggles is ventilation - If you don't get great airflow then you'll end up misted.

What are the Emperors like for changing lenses? I've got the Canopys and the change-over can take a bit of practice - certainly need to take off gloves to do it.

Not quite sure what problems you had with the strap on them with the on the clip (although absolutely understand the rather *agressive* nature of the elastic). I've also got a POC lid (Skull light) with the stupid stupid push on clip, but didn't have problems getting it to line up and hold the Oakleys in place.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great review. In general Goggles like Ski Boots are such personal items, that fit and feeling comments are not that useful, but the mechanical comments should be valid for most people.

The goggle strap adjuster issue largely depend on the helmet size, the smaller the helmet or head the less the issue occurs. I never had issues with my Giro helmets, but do have issues with my POC Fornix, due to the relatively small clip gap for the strap. I also find it bizarre that POC have a different clip on each their helmets.

For anyone considering the Oakley Flightdeck, the strap is even wider than normal, so goggle clip issues are even worse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, thanks i havent noticed , but then again i am a bit thicko Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Oakley 02 XLs for over the glasses use....They are crap Sad Never wiped the inside of them and I have been boarding since the birth of the sport and skiing prior to that...so its not like im a newbee. My glasses are also Oakley's, Crosslink switch's with Oakley lens.. and well they just constantly steam up, with or without helmet and they certainly cant cope if its warmer than about -5'c, if you stop for more than about 10 seconds they steam up, the persimmon lens is also really poor too offering nil contrast in low light conditions...Maybe I was spoilt by my previous goggles Dragon Rouges, these never steamed up even after tomohawking the backcountry and the single Iridium lens did a great job even in really poor conditions. I had to change those when I changed my glasses as couldn't get them over my new frames Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to vote for the Smith Turbo fan goggles, they've been fantastic for me and they really do help in preventing steaming up.

I've now invested in the I/OX turbo fan goggle with both the Red SolX and Blue Sensor mirror lenses, so I can interchange them for different light conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just as an aside to the OP, did you look at PRK laser surgery or the newest Relex laser surgery?

Pilots can have laser eye correction, but not lasik due to rare possible issues with the flap that is created during the surgery - they have to use PRK just i had done over 20 years ago. No flap.

the newest and even better for recovery with far, far reduced risk of dry eye etc compared to lasik is 'Relex' - a laser creates a disc of material which is removed through a keyhole cut, rather then a complete flap. it would be my choice - too late for me, though....

that laser eye correction i had over 20 years ago ( and had to be done 1 eye first, then wait 6 months! for the other and PRK then did not use a soft contact lens as a bandage so was very very unpleasant recovery for a week...) was absolutely the best money i've ever spent.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 24-11-15 17:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Anon M3 came out this year and is OTG compatible, and as far as lens changes go its certainly one of the quickest and easiest out there and the magnetic face mask is a added bonus too.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy