Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Partial Eclipse of the Sun in the Alps 20 Mar 15

Poster: A snowHead
This one had passed me by until this morning when I saw it in the paper. The area of totality will be well north (Iceland so lots of the UK will be pretty dark). I have found data that says Grenoble will have a max obscuration of 68% which IIRC is a little less than I experienced in Fife in 1999 - when it was quite spooky. In local time it will all start at 0920 and be over at 1139 (again at Grenoble). Has any sH experienced this before in the mountains; I imagine it will be pretty spooky and (providing its sunny) there should be some great photo opportunities. If its cloudy it may well be a bit dark to ski!!
Grenoble data here:
http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/eclipse/0112015/Grenoble_France_2015Mar20.png
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be up a mountain a little east of Grenoble. Shall take my decent camera up that day.

In 1999 I was in Normandy where it was 100%. Cloud came over shortly before obscuring much of it but it went completely dark. I think I still have some photos somewhere.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, thanks for that - I had no idea. Will try to arrange to be up a mountain with a camera!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the heads-up -- I shall be in Les Arcs that week ; Gonna make sure to see it Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh thanks, I will be in Val d'Isere that week! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, thanks for that.
More info here and here.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will be cool to experience it in the mountains, but bear in mind that the eclipse will actually be much stronger in the UK!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bump - Friday!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
Bump - Friday!!

Bad light or night goggles Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eclipse info: where and when. http://www.vercalendario.info/en/moon/france-20-march-2015.html

Advice on how to view: http://www.stronge.org.uk/2015/03/solar-eclipse-observing-tips/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Even better on the NYM!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How is your view? So exciting, but unfortunately I'm in NE England, but we are gonna have a 90-95% eclipse 😀
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not expecting it to get very dark at all - but maybe I'll be surprised. Even a bit of a sun gives a lot of light.

I'm a bit confused about the dire warnings about not looking at the sun. I have no special filters or anything so won't be "gazing" at it, for sure. But in the course of normal events I will squint up at the sun as it emerges from a cloud and I frequently sit out in the sun without sun glasses. Not gazing at it, but not turning my back either. As people have for millennia.

Some of the warnings suggest that if you look anywhere near the sun during an eclipse you will regret it - a bit like a werewolf getting a glimpse of the moon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Underwhelming view north of Grenoble, too much pollution I think

this was at 10:35

better view on the Pic du Midi

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jr6o5_pic-du-midi-hautes-pyrenees_tv?start=3
snow report
We've been having a good view in the Pyrenees too; about 78% totality I believe, and the old pinhole camera technique has been working out well. We even managed to get a camera photo or two (through two stacked ski goggles!). The light went a bit strange, noticeable less intensity than the typical light for the time of day... it felt a bit like evening sun. It's on its way back to normal now.
ski holidays
I'm NOT in the Alps Sad but in NW England and it went pretty dark around 9.30 but only in the way it would if a storm was brewing - we've low cloud too so not very exciting here
ski holidays
Clouds cleared here around 11ish and I was able to get a view on the end of the eclipse but not a photo.
snow report
described by a BBC correspondent at a school in Leceister as a "once in a lifetime experience" for these school kids. Sounds a bit pessimistic given the next partial is in 2026.
ski holidays
A tad harsh indeed. The next proper Total eclipse in the UK is September 23rd 2090, around 6pm or so - put it in your calendar now!
latest report
Just felt like I was skiing early evening as opposed to mid morning here. Didn't get any photos although I managed a few glimpses of the event, my group of kids were too interested in keeping on skiing than stopping to look at the sun...
ski holidays
We went over to Val Thorens. Lovely clear skies. And found friendly lifties at the top of Masse-1 who had a welder's mask and allowed us to use it, so got excellent view the black disk moving across the sun. It did get a bit darker for a time, bit not really any different from what clouds do - except we didn't have any Smile
snow report
Cloudy in Chamonix and didn't notice it as I snivelled my way up a tour with an ever worsening case of manbola Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy