Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lens colour

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
can a yellow lens with 86% light transmission be better than a clear lens with 94% in flat light/fog?

if so.. how come?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambi, because different light frequencies get absorbed to differing degrees by snow, so a yellow lens can increase perception of contrast.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
by filtering out some frequencies of light it increases the contrast in what light is presented to the eye (makes the dark bits darker etc).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for clearing that one up guys Happy I'd guess it's quite marginal though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bambi, no, not at all, makes a big difference. Or at least, it can.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Funnily enough I have tested almost this recently - I recently got an amber lens with I think 65% transmission and a slightly mirrored clear lens with 85% transmission. In flat light the amber was better despite the fact that the mirror finish on the clear lens was supposed to deal with reflections etc - and that across a bigger difference in light transmission. My suspicion is that the clear lens is really for sports where you get less reflection (motorcross?).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW - I have generally not bothered swapping lenses but my latest goggles came with a low transmission (40%?) / highly mirrored lens that is really too dark if it gets gloomy. I think the amber lens works for me in 95% of conditions - perhaps not extreme bright days late season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think, @jedster, that clear lenses are for motorsport. And jungle warfare. Mirrored finish is anti-glare, I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget that everyone's eyes are different to varying degrees, so what works for someone else may not work as well for you, so you really need to test the effect of different lenses on snow. Try and borrow as many different goggles as possible when the conditions are bad.

Light transmission and filtered frequencies are different things, so you can get a dark black lenses which blocks 90%, and a light grey lenses which blocks 10%, but they both let through the same frequencies, so contrast would be approximately the same.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its all about the contrast...

Lets imagine a ski slope on a day where the light is flat... Why is it so difficult to ski? Well in short, flat or diffuse lighting tends not to lead to obvious shadows and hence you lose the ability judge depth or to define the topography of a surface - This is far from ideal when up a mountain!

What shadows there are (outdoors at least) tends to be sort of blue-ish as the yellow light from the sun is blocked from the shadow and the only lighting comes from indirect and reflected lighting. Yellow goggles prevent light in the blue region from passing to your eyes, whilst allowing other wavelengths to pass, meaning that our blue shadows appear significantly more black; basically increasing contrast.

The link below might be of intesrest and shows the use of filters in B&W photography.

http://technorobbo.home.comcast.net/BWCOMPARE.png
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy